Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: puck moving? 1st time setup help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:25 pm 

1st time trying to setup this prior khyber 165. one binding went on nice and one i had a helluva time with. finally after sanding the pucks and waxing the slider track it is better. my question is regarding the puck moving a little, not sloppy just a little loose when i'm putting the binding on or pulling it off. is this normal? how can you tighten it up?

i ride regular and it's my front leg heal puck.

appreciate it,
will

Post subject: Re: puck moving? 1st time setup help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:26 pm 

alaskapanic wrote:
1st time trying to setup this prior khyber 165. one binding went on nice and one i had a helluva time with. finally after sanding the pucks and waxing the slider track it is better. my question is regarding the puck moving a little, not sloppy just a little loose when i'm putting the binding on or pulling it off. is this normal? how can you tighten it up?

i ride regular and it's my front leg heal puck.

appreciate it,
will

No, thats not normal

Are the screws bottoming out in the insert before the head grips the puck?
Or do you mean the outer portion of the puck assembly wants to spin?

What happens when you move your heel side front puck to the back and put the back one up front?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 pm 

i mean i can grab the whole puck assembly and move it. not all over the place, just a little(tiny bit) back and forth. i have not tried the taking the back to the front. i'll do that in the am.

thanks,
w

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 pm 

Also, is this a new board, or just new to you?

Was the puck sloppy before you sanded it?
Hopefully, you didn't misinterpret and sand the bottom of all the pucks surface planer style, as you're only supposed to do the ears that grip the slider plate.
Ignitions can be a bit tight when new, but regular slider plates ya don't really have to sand, -just rub some wax on before your first tour- they'll fit like they were made for each other by the end of your first day out.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm 

the board is new to me. it was a 2008. only ridden once. the guy i bought it from said he had trouble with getting that one on and off as well. i just sanded the side and top some and put the wax on the slider and it went on/off better. still not sure about the movement of the puck. when the binding is on i can't move it. so it must not be too bad. i shot an email to voile to ask their opinion.

thanks,
will

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:36 am 

Are you using the puck alignment tool? You shouldn't have to sand the pucks and they shouldn't move. Also, you mentioned slider tracks...are you using hardboots? If not there is no need to mess with slider tracks...get some Spark bindings! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:34 am 

yeah, i used the puck alignment tool. dan gates from voile was the one who made the suggestion about sanding a little off the pucks. he did however say that it shouldn't be moving. he thought maybe the insert on the khyber was a little short for the screw? he said try filing down a thread or two off the screw?

when i was first setting the board up the same binding/plate was very difficult to get on/off the pucks on the front foot and back foot. the other binding/plate went on the way it should snug, but doable. maybe there was something slightly off on the binding plate itself?

thanks,
w

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 pm 

alaskapanic wrote:
yeah, i used the puck alignment tool.

You can garbage that as the opposing pucks distance from board center is already established by the puck that fastens paralell with the board, use your slider plate as a strat edge to line 'em up :wink:
Quote:
when i was first setting the board up the same binding/plate was very difficult to get on/off the pucks on the front foot and back foot. the other binding/plate went on the way it should snug, but doable. maybe there was something slightly off on the binding plate itself?

The binding plate is unrelated, you have to isolate the problem hommes.

Substitute another puck for your front heelside, it can only be one of two things...

A. Still happens = Faulty inserts
B. Doesn't Happen = Bad puck

Either of these are totally fixable, but you need to isolate the problem first – forget about slider plate tolerances for now.

PS did the seller remember to give you the rubber gaskets which go on the bottom of each puck?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm 

TK wrote:
PS did the seller remember to give you the rubber gaskets which go on the bottom of each puck?

That was my second question.

Are you using the puck gaskets?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:02 pm 

yep, puck gaskets are in. you know last night i pulled the front one on/off a few times and for whatever reason it didn't seem loose. i took a good look at the pan head screws and they aren't all the same. the thread isn't as "long" on two of the screws(one screw on toe side and one screw on heel side). i wonder if the guy who had the board initially used the wrong screw or maybe some pan heads are like this? the back foot all the pan heads have the same thread

appreciate all the input