Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:56 am 

Hey Shep - Amazon.com is linked into a network of used book sellers these days. That's how my wife found it for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 978&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:27 pm 

Mumbles can't read well. Types pretty good though. I just got "Into the Wild" and "The Climb" and "Touching the Void" each nature adventure peices I guess. I like that kind of reading after a busy day. I'm barely into "Into the Wild" and will move on to the "Climb" after that. I have watched "Touching the Void" so will likely read it last. I'm glad to have them because it has kept me from even turning on the TV at all in the last 4 or 5 days. Now I want to read this thread again to get more book ideas.

EcoBrad seems like he rips through the books, keep those titles coming. I have heard of several of your recommendations.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:13 pm 

Just read another one that was pretty good, Forget Me Not by Jennifer Lowe Anker. A little on the touchy feely side but what do you expect from a memoir about the life of a widow/wife of world class climbers.

Also finished Yvon Chouinard's Climbing Ice and There's This River. Climbing Ice was very enjoyable even though I'm no ice climber. Chouinard writes well and his insight on climbing couloirs, ice axe and crampons, etc is definitely useful for splitters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:21 pm 

Limits to Growth - interesting read.

I also 2nd/3rd/whatever In Search of Captain Zero. Guy is a storyteller - though whatever his latest book was I found boorrrring and couldn't finish, ended up just giving it back to my buddy about halfway thru it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 am 

Curse of Lono is my latest on the bedstand...gotta love HST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 am 

I just picked up Forever on the Mountain at the airport of all places and read it obsesively. It's a re-examination of the worst climbing accident on Denali in which 7 people got caught out in a monster storm in 1967. It's a little facty in some places, but for the most part a gripping read and a good cautionary tale. I love reading about climbing in that era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:50 am 

I just read Miracle in the Andes. It's the story of the Rugby team that crashed in the high Andes in 1972 that was told in the book Alive. Miracle in the Andes was written by Nando Parrado, one the guys who hiked out after 72 days in the mountains and he opens up and shares everything about the experience.

It's a book like Touching the Void in the sense that it shows how much a person is capable of. This dude climbed a 17,000 foot peak in rugby shoes and street clothes and then hiked 10 days for help with no mountaineering experience and makeshift gear. It makes me feel like a wuss for every time I've ever complained about anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:31 am 

La Trace de l'Ange - Biography of Marco Sifreddi. Amazing what he acheived in such a short time, and what an incredible athlete (and mentalist) he was. Very well written with gripping accounts of some ridiculous routes.

Not sure if there's a translation, but if you're thinking of improving your french (after SF's Chouinard book!) it's a lot better than learning about Marcel and Michelle buying groceries.

Mountaineering - Freedom of the hills. Medium useful!

[/b]

Post subject: Re: Random Book Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 am 

"Off The Map"
Couple caonoes into the Amazon headwaters to find a route over a divide through uncharted rain forest into Guyana & down the other side. Took them months.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 am 

merle's door, by ted karasote

probably the best story about a dog and his owner that i've ever read. its also chock full of interesting research on canines and their relationship with us, wolves and leashes.

man, it was a good book. guy finds pup by the river, pup stays with guy, pup and guy share their lives skiiing, hiking and hunting in the tetons...

enjoy...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:07 pm 

[quote="SanFrantastico"]I read a kooky one in the non-fiction department recently:

an unkle of mine who used to climb a lot when that book first came out has it sitting on the top of the toilet. I've been flipping thru that book for longer then I've been snowboarding.

this one is my new favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:18 pm 

Tristan Jones writes some incredibly unbelievable books on his super-epic sailing journeys. They're super easy reads that you can't put down until you're done. Start with 'ICE!', a one man sailing journey through Antarctica where he fights off a polar bear at one point and looses an eye at another.
Then there's 'The Incredible Voyage' where he sails both the lowest and highest seas in the world and pretty much everything in between. SICK STUFF!

I also picked up 'The Ice Soldier' by Paul Watkins at the airport of all places. It's an extremely well written novel about a climbers adventures from, and after, WWII. It made me laugh and cry and all that stuff a good book or movie should do. Check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm 

My bad, one more book for you all as long as we're on a snowboarding page... 'Surfing the Himalayas' is a pretty decent read by Frederick Lenz. It's basically about reaching nirvana through snowboarding, which sounds pretty cool, huh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next