Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: helmet cams
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm 

I think there has been a topic on this before but I didn't know where to find it. Any of you guys have experience with helmet cams? I think i could have a lot of fun playing around with one. Not ready to drop the $500-$700 :thumbsdown: price tag that i have been seeing though. Wondering if any of you guys know about some cheaper options and what all i really need.

Post subject: Re: helmet cams
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am 

In the last year or two they've made some big changes, upping the price on the better ones but going to a better, smaller, all digital setup... Howver, you can still get a pretty cheap setup to test to see if it's something you really want to play with...

Of all companies, Oregon Scientific has a couple low end models that are pretty easy to us, and reasonably waterproof as well for about $129 or so... http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/browse.asp?cid=8&scid=107 Self contained, shoots basic VGA (640-480) resolution at 30fps, stores to SD card, etc... No way to easily review the movies until you take the card out and view it on something else...

If you look around, you can find some of the last generation analog "Lipstick Cams" that plug into the "Video in" of most small video cameras... You should be able to find one in the $100-$200 range... But then you'll need your own camera to actually record it, and it's usually a bit more cumbersome of a setup as they need their own power source, a video camera, then the lipstick camera...

VIO, which is commonly used by a lot of the big action sports film companies, makes a new version of their lipstick cam setup that is all digital, plugs into a small digital recorder, and offers more flexibitlity.. That setup ranges from $600 to $800... :(

There are some other ones scattered about as well... A simple google search will pull up a few...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 pm 

thanks for the info. Since i''m not really looking for a professional grade set up yet I think the oregon scientific might be what i go with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:47 am 

I think Vholdr is sorta middle of the road in terms of price range. I don't have too much experience with helmet cams, but the Vhodr is cool in that there are no cords. I have seen some pretty cool footage shot with them as well.

I wouldn't put much faith in this, but a buddy was using one while rock climbing the other day when it he got a little tangled in the rope and knocked it off his head and it fell about a hundred feet to ground. It was totally fine (but probably just cause it magically landed in the only bush around).

Just for honesty's sake, I have an old snowboard bro who works for Vholdr and he always hooks me up with hip indie Seattle music and killer stickers so I'm basically a shill for the company...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:32 am 

The GoPro camera isn't as slick-looking as the VholdR but you can find it for about half the price.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:19 pm 

I've always wanted and thought using a helmet cam would be cool but honestly I can't stand to watch more than a minute or so at a time. Its always pretty shaky and I just get bored with the POV. I like to see the rider too, not just what the rider sees. I think when you can combine fixed shots with POV shots its the best.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:55 pm 

Hello. We're GoPro. We make the world's best selling wearable digital cameras for sports. ... more

Helmet Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 am 

I've used SUV-CamⅡ :thumpsup:
http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/index.html

East Vail Chutes with the Cam :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVPt_KLvfgI

Kinda understand what bcrider says though :D ,,,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:48 am 

Hi wasatch surf,
Have you searched helmet cams in Ebay?
I have bought many things from Ebay and visit them twice in a month. I saw discount on helmet cams on Ebay last year.