Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm 

ricorides wrote:
Bump for some MTB stoke. JimW where you been?

Ah yes, been meaning to update this thread. Been riding a lot, but just haven't gotten around to uploading many pics. Here's a few semi-recent ones.

Met up with Ecobrad for a ride in Bend a couple months ago. We were too busy having a blast, and I only got one picture at the end of the trail. Check out the single-glove steeze.

I built up a singlespeed. Pretty soon I might start wearing spandex and hanging out on ttips.

Here's the bent frame after the second ride. I guess I can't control myself and stay on the ground.

My friends Paul and Erika got married in Bend a couple months ago. Riding back from the ceremony to the reception at the Deschutes brewery:

Bend finally has some decent freeriding spots. Here's a jump at a new spot call "The Lair":

Also some good random local hits. Here's a mini-road gap (actually a golf cart gap!). This is what did in the singlespeed. Don't ask me why I thought this was a good idea.

Here's Erika on the same drop. She wasn't allowed to do this until *after* the wedding.

That's it for now. Haven't been taking a ton of pics lately, mostly been screwing around with the helmetcam.

So who else has some MTB stoke to add?? Post yer pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:21 pm 

Alright... Went on an East Coast road trip for our vacation. Here's the run-down of our trip.

On Day 1 we were in the eastern township for "FestivAllezY". A friend of ours has a big land in the township with 2 little singletrack and a bike park with a bunch of stunts and a newly built 3-way tabletop.

The best feature was the 2 different custom brews and our very own custom beer glass:

Jerome is the Quebec trail advocacy group's president. He's also an IMBA Provincial Rep (and newly appointed IMBA Canada worker). And he's also known for drinking a bit too much when beer and biking is involved... You can check out the IMBA On the trail Blog from the trail care crew's last visit to see that fresh brew is always involved with mountain biking here also! That's why he had is own personnal keg on the side!

There were rides organized on both days... but we had to hit to road... so we stayed there for only one night...

We drove down to western MA, driving through Vermont and made our way to the DAR State Forest. We stayed there for 3 nights and rode 3 different places: DAR SF, Earl's trail and Bachelor ST. 3 great rides: Bachelor St. is awsome! Can't believe it's all on state land!

We then went through CT straight to New York to ride Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, NY. Great riding there also. Really technical but most of it it flowy and you really understand why it's among the favorite destination for new yorkers!

Went to NYC the following day. I haven't been there in almost 10 years. Things have changed! Lots of bike lanes all over the downtown area. We were stoked about the riding right in town:

After a 2 day stay in NYC, we had to go back to a more quiet area... so off to Rhode Island to ride the Arcadia Wildlife Management Area. Great trail network with lots of singletrack in between. Not very technical... No big challenges... but loads of fun

A night was just enough at the very loud campground invaded by city kids... So we took off in direction of Cape Cod. We settled at the very nice Schwamee Crowell State Park

The place was so nice that we stayed there for 5 nights. We were switching between riding and just enjoying the beach. Tons of traffic on the cape but food is good and riding is awsome. We visited Boston for the first time. Too bad i didn't know that a friend of mine from Colorado was moving to Boston on the same day we were there!

We visited Boston for the first time. Too bad i didn't know that a friend of mine from Colorado was moving to Boston on the same day we were there!

We finished things off on the cape by a evening on the beach before heading towards New Hampshire

Before heading out of MA, we had to check out what Vietnam had to offer. We were not disapointed! The riding there is amazing and the stunts are very challenging... I couldn't go all out because i didn't bring any pads along... and still had 4 more days of vacation ahead of me... But the local i was following was really going at it!

After an exciting day, we got out of the woods onto pavement before getting to the car... And of course, this happened:

So we got to Bear Brook State Park after a short 2-hour drive. We were really disapointed with the condition of the park. Bathrooms looked like they haven't been cleaned in months... Campsites had no trees between them... only a log to separate you from your neighbourgh.... We missed our little campsite in Sandwhich MA!

The trails however did not dissapoint! Nice bench cut contour trails mixed in with old XC-skiing trails. A great mix! Not much climbing... southern NH was flatter then expected!

After almost 2 full weeks on the road we were pretty tired... And rain and t-storms were forecasted for our last night... So we found a 50$ motel for our last night... We slacked off too and grabbed a pizza and a bottle of wine and watch TV for the evening! lol! What a way to enjoy nature! lol!

We kept the best for last: FOMBA was 20min away from our Motel! This place as a strong backbone made from ancient roads, fire roads and old dirt roads... In between there is about 10 singletrack trails all built by volounteers. The land was also bought by the local NEMBA group in order to preserve it as a strong recreationnal pole in the area.

There was a huge 20-ft roller that was pretty nice. After checking it out on top for 5-10min. my girlfriend finally went for it... just to run back up and do it again! Go girl!

And of course, you meet all sorts of user on a popular recreationnal area:

Apparently he was never seen on singletrack... but is there quiet often!

In all, we were on the road for 16 days. Rode 13 different riding areas. Visited 7 states and 2 major cities. Drank a lot of good beer (but sometime went for the familiar No.9!), had a bunch of good wine bottles and hate great food at the campground including: amazing filet mignon steaks, fresh scallops and fresh salmon. Hmmmmmmm!

We're already dreaming about the next trip!
(it will more likely involve snow then dirt!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am 

Nice pics, guys! I just found my camera, I'll try to post some stoke.

Pretty sure this guy was rockin' the one glove steeze waaaaaay before Ecobrad,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:03 pm 

Sweet mtb stoke BigJay! :)

Love your tarp skills at camp too. 8)

Jimw's mtb skills are always impressive as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:20 pm 

looks like a killer place to ride BigJay.

I really don't take pics mtn biking but I'm still fully stoked on it.

Jimw - Eco and I WILL be headed your way sometime in the next two months. And hopefully Tahoe, Pinecrest and Downie. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 am 

Damn, haven't had time to visit the site much lately, the new layout looks cool BCR!

My girlfriend Katie and I did a nice big loop from her place in SLT -> Star Lake -> Freel Peak -> Armstrong Pass and back to her place. Didn't take a ton of pictures but here are a few.

Katie cranking up the hill below High Meadows

From here we took the trail up to Star Lake. It starts off nice enough, but the last mile or so you're forced to dismount and do some serious bike-booting.

Just below Star Lake, these guys were everywhere!

Star Lake

Somewhere b/t Star Lake and Freel on the TRT. Katie's not a big fan of having her picture taken

We got to the Freel Peak trail, ditched the bikes and did the mile or so hike to the top. First time on top of Freel, nice spot!
Tahoe from Freel. It's cool being able to see your starting point from the top of a climb. We started waaaay down there to the right of Al Tahoe Blvd on the opposite side of the meadow/golf course.

We walked back down and fetched our bikes. I'm pretty sure The Flintstones live somewhere behind those boulders.

From here on out it was mostly downhill. We stayed on the TRT to Armstrong Pass then rode down to Fountain Place and took upper and lower Corral back into town. I'd climbed up to Armstrong Pass with JimW and a few others a few weeks prior to do Toad's, but it turns out descending from Armstrong is pretty damn fun too!
We were having too much fun to bust out the camera much at this point, but I did manage to get a couple more shots.

Cool rocks from the TRT just before Armstrong

Katie bike-booting the last bit to Armstrong

All in all (accoring to TOPO), it was 25 miles and over 6000' feet of climbing, uber fun day. Katie says she wants to try Toad's now, yee haw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:02 pm 

Just did a beautiful ride up on the Ridge with a couple guys from MTBR.
We did the Three Peaks Loop.
Got hassled by some old man who thought he knew what he was talking about...

We jammed on up to the top and got some epic climbs/descents.
I had a huge meal last night (salmon/steak)/lots of wine...
and didn't eat anything for breakfast.
A little woozy on the climbs, but I think the heat purified me.

Anyways, here is the TR link to some older pics. Didn't take the camera today - don't know why. It was lovely out there in the backcountry.
http://thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1443

I LOVE living here. I can ride EVERY DAY.
backcountry or singletrack bliss in the bike park.
Don't tell anybody...
:shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 pm 

Just got back from a week in Whistler which is about as far away from sucking as a mountain bike trip can get. Got to catch the Crankworx slopestyle finals plus 7 days straight in the park. I can still feel the handlebars in my hands... Sorry, no pics - just road our brains out.

Hey JimW - I'm heading to Bend mid-Oct. Last time I was there I enjoyed the riding but everything was super-buffed and lacked the tech factor. Can you share the Lair location or is it part of the underground?

JC

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 pm 

JC wrote:
Just got back from a week in Whistler which is about as far away from sucking as a mountain bike trip can get.

Bastard. :)

Quote:
Hey JimW - I'm heading to Bend mid-Oct. Last time I was there I enjoyed the riding but everything was super-buffed and lacked the tech factor. Can you share the Lair location or is it part of the underground?

It's totally public and legal. What a concept! Anyway, check yer PM's for info.

Here are a few recent pics.

So, there's this sweet step-up I've been wanting to hit for a while now.

It's about a 4 foot high lip, then a gap, to this big 7-8 foot high boulder that's completely flat on top, then a drop off the other end. Looks really sweet. Don't wanna come up short.

Finally got to hit it up.

Stoked! :bananas:

So stoked, that I gave this rock a little love tap.

That is all.

Post subject: Re: Mountain Bike Stoke
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:55 pm 

Cool :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am 

when are we going to Santa Cruz?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:23 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
when are we going to Santa Cruz?

Let's talk, I've got my wife telling me I need to take a weekend to bike. :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am 

Quote:

We then went through CT straight to New York to ride Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, NY. Great riding there also. Really technical but most of it it flowy and you really understand why it's among the favorite destination for new yorkers!

Big Jay- Glad you enjoyed Blue mt reservation. these trails are in my backyard almost literally. i spend a lot of time back there on the bike, hiking or running with the dog. always finding new trails to explore. if you ever make it back send me a pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next