The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shredblock test
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:26 pm 

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:58 am 

I asked about a shredblock vs. a rutschblock in my level 1 class. My question centered on whether or not I need to put my board together or if I can use it in ski mode to perform the test. Since my board is 174, and there are people who ski on 174s, I was thinking a rutschblock would be ok, even if it's dimensions are slightly bigger than a shredblock. The instructor hadn't encountered many splitboarders in the past and didn't have an answer but suggested to put the board together and use a shredblock.

One thing I noticed in the class is students had difficulty getting on top of the block while the board was put together. Getting on the block in split mode seems like it would be a lot easier.

How do you guys do your tests? In split mode or attached?

Also, do freeheelers lock their heel when doing the test?

-Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:24 pm 

i test blocks in splitmode. freeheelers can't lock their heels down.
i use blocks to find where the layers are and how strong/releasable they are, i don't like splitting hairs between snowboard and ski layer releases... if it's that close i'm not riding there.
for me a block is for a. going to a new area, or one i haven't been to in a while and trying to get a feel for what is there. or
b. eliminating slopes/aspects from the days adventure because i already am suspect and want to know whether i need come straight down the uptrack aor can venture out into unknown terrain.

[rant]just a reminder. blocks only tell you what is going on in the exact spot you do them, they are just another tool, terrain/route finding is at least as important if not more [/rant]
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:04 pm 

bdub wrote:

[rant]just a reminder. blocks only tell you what is going on in the exact spot you do them, they are just another tool, terrain/route finding is at least as important if not more [/rant]
cheers

Yup, as our instructor said, the block test is "just another way of gathering more information."

Thanks bdub, I think I'll try it in split mode next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:23 pm 

You can do the test in either mode. The thought with doing it in board mode is that it more accurately reflects the pressure applied to the slope by a snowboarder. Since there is more float with a snowboard it should effect the slope a little differently than skis.

However, as bdub said, if the grey area is that grey, maybe you shouldn't be there anyway.

Lately I've been doing them in split mode because it's easier to get on top of the block and weight it. I'd recommend tying both and as you've already said…just use it as one of the many clues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:37 pm 

bcrider wrote:
The thought with doing it in board mode is that it more accurately reflects the pressure applied to the slope by a snowboarder. Since there is more float with a snowboard it should effect the slope a little differently than skis.

Excellent point....I hadn't thought of it in that regard but it seems to make perfect sense. Thanks :)