Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DC Torch with dual BOA lacing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:44 am 

I just got a set of DC Torch boots with an inner lace liner and dual BOA closure. I did not get them with the intent to ride them in the BC, but more inbounds. I have ridden Burton Step Ins since they were introduced and love the convenience. They ride well form me, but the boots are harder and harder to find. My two current pair are less and less comfortable, so I fugured I would try a new setup on someone's Christmas money gift to me. So far I have only worn them in the store and in the house. I have over 15 hours in them so far, but they have yet to see snow. Soon though. In the house they are wickedly easy to adjust and comfortable. This is rated a 9 on the DC stiffness scale, so they should fit well into the stiff boot riding style I'm accustomed with. I paired them with a set of Rome SDS bindings and have the stiffer setting on those as well. Rome boasts these as being their stiffest binding, which is why I picked up a set. I have also been looking at the K2 Cinch, but have not found any in my size.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject: Re: DC Torch with dual BOA lacing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
I have over 15 hours in them so far, but they have yet to see snow...

And I thought I was obsessed!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 pm 

My feet were cold.
I was jonesing to ride.
I was breaking them in.
I couldn't find my slippers.

Okay, I'm a dork.

I finally got an inbounds short day to ride them, and I think they are great boots from a control, comfort and adjustability point. It was my first day with soft boots and strap bindings since I can't remember when. I was not even that overtly clumsy. The Rome Tiagra bindings and these boots make a nice pair in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:29 pm 

That is awesome. I am cracking up tonight. Are those the ones with the air pump thingy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:52 pm 

SF,

The DC Torch is a dual zone boa boot. The boot you are referring to is a single boa closure with the "reebok pump". I tried that version on too, but, like many boots, did not seem to fit my skinny chicken ankles very well. Yes a fat bastard like me weighing 215 has some skinny chicken ankles (it is all LIVER from too much beer).

I did like the pump feature and it made the boot very comfortably snug, but the ankle area was not a good fit for my feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:23 pm 

I guess I'm "bumping" this to ask if anyone else is using boots with a boa closure in the backcountry? I have now used mine a couple of times and like the comfort and light weight. So far no issues with a lack of support, which is why I was using AT boots. I still think the AT boots bring some advangates, but the overall comfort of these DC Torch boots with dual boa closure have me happy. I have spare boa wires, and would hope not to have to change them in the bc, but so far after half a year riding inbounds and a couple of bc days the wires still look perfect and the closure is working just fine.

So, are you using boa closure boots in the BC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:42 pm 

BOA is proven. It's a solid technology. I have some friends who have ridden on the same BOA system boots for the past two seasons. No issues and around 100 days per season. If you can put 200 riding days on anything without failure than I would say it's pretty good.

DC boots on the other hand, are not rumor'd to be very durable. I picked up a pair of Allegiance boots with the dual BOA before knowing this little factiod. Less than two months later I blew out the side stitching seam. They are now in on warranty repair, and to say the least I am not impressed with the durability. Stiffness, and all that was good, but the outside stitching blows? That is the last thing that should happen to the outershell of a boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm 

Killclimbz, I have not noticed any stiching issuues yet. I have knocked some tiny bits of tread off the heel with the board edge and there is some rubbing marks on my rear foot from engaging my flow bindings from the resort. Otherwise I'm happy with the warmth, stiffness and comfort. I even got a set of crampons to use with those boots. Not sure how they kick steps though. With about 25 days on them I have not had to kick into tough stuff yet. That may be the one time I miss the rigidity of the AT boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:40 pm 

Well hopefully your boots continue to last. I have been told by snowboard reps, shop employees, and others in the industry that DC boots are pretty much crap from a construction standpoint. As I said I was happy with the performance, but durability on mine was lacking. Less than 20 days on them for sure. Which is sad for their top of the line freeride boot this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 am 

Mumbles wrote:
I guess I'm "bumping" this to ask if anyone else is using boots with a boa closure in the backcountry? I have now used mine a couple of times and like the comfort and light weight. So far no issues with a lack of support, which is why I was using AT boots. I still think the AT boots bring some advangates, but the overall comfort of these DC Torch boots with dual boa closure have me happy. I have spare boa wires, and would hope not to have to change them in the bc, but so far after half a year riding inbounds and a couple of bc days the wires still look perfect and the closure is working just fine.

So, are you using boa closure boots in the BC?

Mumbles,

The K2 T1s (discussed at length in another thread) have the single boa...I've ridden it for 50 days or so resort and BC including a shasta summit and not had any problems with it whatsoever. That said, the single BOA failure is probably far less catastrophic then having the outer boa bread on a double boa boot. If the inner boa breaks I figure I'll just cinch the laces down like in the "old days" and deal with the liner repair when I return from the trip. If the outer boa breaks in the bc, you're looking at ducktape/webbing/makeshift I guess.

You could always stick with the AT boot on multiday trips and ride the torches on single day tours until you're convinced the boa's won't break I guess.

Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 pm 

jbaysurfer, thanks for the input. I have now ridden my dual boas on several of my last trips and I'm pleased with them. I do carry the replacement crap in my gear just in case. I've even acually replaced the boa laces to make sure I knew what the hell I was doing. I also carry a few straps that I'll use in a fast fix pinch that can secure the boot. I tried this at the resort with the inner lace of the boot tightened (mine lace inside on the liner and then have the boa upper and lower boot closure) and the strap attached. I rode my solid board like that all day with both feet strapped outside and laced inside. No problems with performance.

I know, now that someone reads this they will see that I wore them inside for 15 hours or so before riding in them and that I have replaced perfectly good boa wires to know how to do it when needed and that I have tried riding a bandaid repair version...I don't like things I can't fix, modify or get around and I'm an overall dork with too much time to tinker on my hands.