Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4.19-20.2008 eastern sierra - trojan peak
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 pm 

Trojan Peak via George Creek, Eastern Sierra, CA. 4.19-20.2008

George Creek is one special place. It is a very remote drainage on the southeast side of Mt Williamson. It is in an area of the Sierra that has some pretty restricted access, due to the Bighorn sheep zoological area. Its basically only legal to be in this area for about 45 days out of the year, in dec and april. The restricted access of course makes it that much more alluring to me. That and the fact it is considered one of the ultimate sierra bushwacks. Technically there is no trail and if you happen to get "off route" it can be quite intense schwacking. However I had been back there in dec and found the way so it wasnt really that bad. Just a very long dry hike with an overnight load which can be a bit trying at times. Lets just say at one point I did consider actually turning back and going somewhere else on sunday.

So on top of the very difficult access the snow and riding conditions have not been so great as of late. Cold temps and strong winds were forecast for the weekend so I knew going into it there wouldnt be epic riding conditions. What made this such a great trip for me was simply going to this amazing place, the challenge of hiking george creek, and checking out the coulior on trojan peak.

After all just being in the mountians and spending the night out under the full moon is always worth the trip as far as im concerned. Now I know what it takes to make it up there and will definitely be returning when the snow conditions are better.

By the way im extremely jealous of all you PNW riders still getting powder, yall are very lucky...keep getting on it and posting those sweet TRs!

lots of amazing stuff is accessed off this little road with such an understated name.

good ole george creek. lots of brush to keep things interesting.

one of the wild things about this drainage are the high walls of the canyon above. all kinds of giant trees rain down into the canyon and leave nice debris trails. lots of natural forces at work here.

this is the no-name teaser peak you see once you get out of the lower reaches of the canyon. its got a nice little line on it. trojan is behind this.

i dont have any shots of camp or the full moon. i camped around 10k ft. would have camped up higher but with the winds i didnt think it would be smart. it was quite cold and extremely windy at night. just being out was nice but no way would i have gotten any good shots off, oh well next time. this is the bowl on the approach to trojan peak.

south face of williamson looking pretty melted out now.

what i was up there to check out. cant wait to go back here some day and get this in much better shape. it actually goes from the top of trojan.
it was terrible climibing up and survival riding down i was kinda in a rush to get out after this as it was already getting late and i knew it would be a long hike out.

looking back on the george creek drainage

some random gully on the way - this is one looks worthy of a ride someday. its not as far up the canyon so maybe a bit easier access.

happy 4/20 all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:05 am 

Yikes! Wind, cold temps, and the Ultimate Sierra Bushwhack. Sounds like your kind of fun! Thanks for the pics. Had all the sheep checked their calendars and left the area? I'd love to see one someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 am 

Awesome Trip Report once again. Thanks!

Speaking of sheep, have you guys seen the photo posted on Steve Romeo's website from his trip to the Wind River Range. Awesome.

http://www.tetonat.com/?p=453

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:39 am 

Great exploring Dave! I better get used to carrying very heavy loads, so I can come along :wink: ! Should I get a machete too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:49 am 

Nice one Dave. That chute looks sweet!
I never realized Trojan peak is almost 14k. Looks small next to willy.
Can't wait to check it out next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 am 

What degree bag do you use? I don't know if I am a sissy or my 15 degree just doesn't cut it for spring camping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm 

Dave,

Way to get off the beaten path! Did you see any decent snow up there, or was it all wrecked by sun cupping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:49 pm 

Totally freaking impressed with the determination of those who dry hike and bushwack so much for their lines. I'm certainly spoiled by closer to the snow access and marvel at your efforts in every TR.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
Totally freaking impressed with the determination of those who dry hike and bushwack so much for their lines. I'm certainly spoiled by closer to the snow access and marvel at your efforts in every TR.

Newbie alert--your not spoiled. Anybody can start above the snowline, you just might not get a gnar gnar 4,000 foot line that's ridden every couple years.

Here's a pict of some approaches to get the gnar in the northwest look like. Look familiar snoslut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Mumbles wrote:

Newbie alert--your not spoiled. Anybody can start above the snowline, you just might not get a gnar gnar 4,000 foot line that's ridden every couple years.

Ecobrad, how about nice Trip Report Fullers2Oh before you get on my @$$. I'm spoiled because nowhere I have tried to go has required such a dry hike, bushwack or other creative access. I guess for a worthless newbie I should be undertaking the most gnar gnar access and 4000' lines to get used to the program not starting at a more reasonable tempo. Last I knew you crawl before walking and walk before running.

I'm no stranger to multi-day backpacking trips that require quite a difficult s'whack to get access and in due time I will combine the two. Maybe then someday I will be worthy of your attention Master Ecobrad. I have seen some of your posts on accessing things that are not so tough so don't pretend you are the ulitmate bushwacking badass every time you leave the living room.

Back to Fullers2Oh, I still think this is an awesome TR with great access challenges that never seem to hold you back.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 pm 

I'll play mediator. For those who don't know, the route on George Creek is open for a month in the spring. April 15-May 15. Look at the dates on this TR. He was there pretty much as soon as you good.

George Creek is a hell bush whack. There is no way around that. It's a given. I'm sure fullers had to wade across a creek and cross about three other times. A friend of mine broke a toe, sprained an ankle, and aborted a venture up that same approach a few weeks ago when he slipped while wading across a stream.

The Geroge Creek draining beat me down on an attempt to ski one of the shots off the south face. I know you have to be slightly warped to knowingly go into the drainage. The effort is worth the reward. Then once you get to the snowline, the fun just begins in terms of vertical. The trailhead is probably about 6,500 feet and Trojan is 13,947.

fullers...nice job.