Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Took my 165 Divide out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. While I was skeptical about how responsive it would be, as this is my first split, I was pleasantly surprised in how it handled. Rode very similarly to one of my in-bounds boards (159 Burton Baron ES), and the 165 length handled the weight of my mountaineering pack (four days of food and gear) just fine. The Divide was solid in everything from wind-scoured crust to corn to wind-blown powder, and was responsive enough to avoid most of the rocks and vegetation protruding the snowpack and maneuver through tight trees.

Interesting. Did you have the big pack on most of the time you were riding it? That can definitely make a difference in how it feels. Reason I mention it is because I have a Burton ES too, and tried the Divide for a couple runs at the ski area recently (doing the same run and switching between a couple other Burtons). I definitely would not have said it felt like my Baron. To me, it feels a lot more damp and stiff. All the Burtons I have feel more lively. The dampness of the Divide is great for powering through crud, but I guess I just am used to the more lively feel of the Burton.

I'd like to give the Divide a more extended test though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:43 pm 

bcrider has one to demo if you live in CA jimw, which should work out well for you if you want to get your hands on that one. I've got an older burton and a new mojo (sound familiar?) and would gladly read your review of an extened trip on the venture divide.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm 

jimw wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
Took my 165 Divide out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. While I was skeptical about how responsive it would be, as this is my first split, I was pleasantly surprised in how it handled. Rode very similarly to one of my in-bounds boards (159 Burton Baron ES), and the 165 length handled the weight of my mountaineering pack (four days of food and gear) just fine. The Divide was solid in everything from wind-scoured crust to corn to wind-blown powder, and was responsive enough to avoid most of the rocks and vegetation protruding the snowpack and maneuver through tight trees.

Interesting. Did you have the big pack on most of the time you were riding it? That can definitely make a difference in how it feels. Reason I mention it is because I have a Burton ES too, and tried the Divide for a couple runs at the ski area recently (doing the same run and switching between a couple other Burtons). I definitely would not have said it felt like my Baron. To me, it feels a lot more damp and stiff. All the Burtons I have feel more lively. The dampness of the Divide is great for powering through crud, but I guess I just am used to the more lively feel of the Burton.

I'd like to give the Divide a more extended test though.

Yeah, I had my pack on the whole trip carrying between 25-40 pounds at various times. I mention it riding similar to my Baron ES given its stiffness and quick edge-edge performance. While I have never riden my Baron ES with a pack, let alone one that heavy, I was delighted in the responsive ride of the Divide with that much weight, and that was also with my Vasque ICE 9000 mountaineering boots (can't wait to ride it with my Driver X).

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm 

You might try comparing both boards with and without pack - I think you might be surprised at the difference, I know I have been. I remember a recent trip to Shasta where SF brought his Never Summer, and he was disappointed with it and felt that it was too stiff... until we packed up camp and rode back to the car, and with the extra pack weight the board came alive - he claimed it felt like a completely different board.

Speaking of the Baron ES, I have a very similar setup to you, also using Driver X's. I was thinking of selling it because I just think I don't need the extra width after all. Interesting you mention the quick edge-to-edge performance, I felt that the Baron was actually noticeably slower edge-to-edge than my normal resort board (old Burton FL Project) - which makes sense because of the width difference. What size are your Drivers? Mine are size 11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:46 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
bcrider has one to demo if you live in CA jimw, which should work out well for you if you want to get your hands on that one.

Not to worry man, sometimes we're on top of things here... that was actually the board that I tried. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:05 pm 

jimw wrote:
You might try comparing both boards with and without pack - I think you might be surprised at the difference, I know I have been. I remember a recent trip to Shasta where SF brought his Never Summer, and he was disappointed with it and felt that it was too stiff... until we packed up camp and rode back to the car, and with the extra pack weight the board came alive - he claimed it felt like a completely different board.

Good point. I should get a different feel for the board as I plan to take it to Round Top this weekend and will try it with a light pack and probably my Driver X's, unless I opt to climb the Crescent Moon Couloir, then its the ICE 9000s. Although I suppose I could just take the ICE 9000s for a more direct comparison to last weekend's performance. Anyways, I guess I should be happy I like the ride with a heavy mountaineering pack, cause that's how I will use it the most.

jimw wrote:
Speaking of the Baron ES, I have a very similar setup to you, also using Driver X's. I was thinking of selling it because I just think I don't need the extra width after all. Interesting you mention the quick edge-to-edge performance, I felt that the Baron was actually noticeably slower edge-to-edge than my normal resort board (old Burton FL Project) - which makes sense because of the width difference. What size are your Drivers? Mine are size 11.

My Driver X and ICE 9000s are 11.5. I used to rock a K2 Eldorado that had a 25.5 WW, but managed to rip the toe rand right off of a pair of Airwalk boots. Ever since I have been riding at least 25.9 WW boards. What is the WW on your FL Project? Not that there are dramatic differences between years, but I am curious as to what year your Baron ES is? I have the 05/06.

Cheers

162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 am 

The WW on the FL (a 162) is 9.75" (24.75). It's about 1/2" narrower than the Baron, all around (basically identical shape except width). The Baron ES I think is the same year as yours. It's a 164, and has the fake wax seal thing on it that makes it go way faster. :) I don't seem to have toe/heel drag issues with the FL and the size 11 Driver X's. I think boot/binding design has come a long way over the years, and the same size boots in an older model might end up with toe drag.

BTW, if you just get some ...drumroll please... VERTS you can charge right up Crescent in your Drivers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm 

jimw wrote:

Are those the recent conditions? Had heard that things were stiff after the cold weather and winds last weekend. If so, might opt for the West Ridge saddle instead as I don't really feel like soloing the Crescent with two tools and a split on my back if things are uber solid.

162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:39 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Are those the recent conditions?

I wish. No, that was a couple years ago in actual good snow. Kinda forgot what that's like lately. :)

Now it's probably more like this (also using Verts!):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
PSA: Currently two venture divides on ebay starting at around $200 new.

Thanks again for that heads up Mumbles! My Divide '61 just arrived today. Got the board, skins and hardware for $750! And thanks to the EBay seller Nicko @ Boot Doctors/Dr. B's in Telluride, CO. They hooked me up with an awesome deal, shipping and were just generally cool to deal with. You CO folk should go check 'em out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:23 am 

wavy, I'm glad you scored that board, and for that price I probably would not have had to get divorced if I had bought it. That is a killer deal on what seems to get reviews as a great board. I look forward to reading some wavy posts in the splitboard review forum as soon as you christen that board with some snow.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 am 

Hey I am looking for some feedback on a Venture Divide 180cm ? I like bigger boards for powder/freeride and found this is about the longest split available. Venture is sold out of this size so someone must have one?

I am a hardbooter who uses appoach skiis and rides a RadAir tanker 192 usaully for off piste. Did a hut trip this year with some skiers and got hooked but might want to try splitting.

I will be using Scrapa AT boots but usaully ride steep angles of 55/50 on all my boards (carving/powder). Any ideas on the max splitboard angles as I am told its around 40? Any tricks to get higher angles? If I had venture make a custom how could I get them to mod the setup for higher angles? (prior claims up to 50/50 for the atv split)

Considering a custom Venture ...

Been lurking ....Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:06 am 

Hey, Jim, if mumbles will let me borrow one of his splits, I could in theory find out how far we could take the angles. I believe Prior moved the insert pack inboard a bit to achieve the higher angles.Mumbles, you there??? Could you tinker a bit for us, get us an answer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next