Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 am 

Give me a call sat. night... You have my number!

It will most likely be a solo ride for me, my gf has to work at home at least one day this w-e... Tomorrow we'll be at Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:04 pm 

Sunday i headed out to Big Jay for some "quiet" powder runs... Quiet was a great theory... Leaving alone into the woods for some pow. As soon as i pull into the parking lot, i see my friend Ben with his girlfriend. They're also going for a "quiet" run on the mountain. There on snowshoes so i move along by myself. I made it almost to the top of the mountain and stopped at the bottom of a cliff where the snow was just right and the terrain was still virgin and very promissing.

Snow has been blown over lately... So there is about 18-24in of fresh stuff in most places. Up to 30in between trees... and as little as 10in in the more exposed area. I did two runs that day... I went out to the white room with the crew from Montgomery for my second run... Perfect bluebird sky and a warm enough sunshine... Perfect spring powder day! Now we hope it stays good until next weekend where we'll try and get some more!

Still good snow to be had in the NEK! Enjoy!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 am 

BigJay wrote:
Sunday i headed out to Big Jay for some "quiet" powder runs... Quiet was a great theory... Leaving alone into the woods for some pow. As soon as i pull into the parking lot, i see my friend Ben with his girlfriend. They're also going for a "quiet" run on the mountain. There on snowshoes so i move along by myself. I made it almost to the top of the mountain and stopped at the bottom of a cliff where the snow was just right and the terrain was still virgin and very promissing.

Snow has been blown over lately... So there is about 18-24in of fresh stuff in most places. Up to 30in between trees... and as little as 10in in the more exposed area. I did two runs that day... I went out to the white room with the crew from Montgomery for my second run... Perfect bluebird sky and a warm enough sunshine... Perfect spring powder day! Now we hope it stays good until next weekend where we'll try and get some more!

Still good snow to be had in the NEK! Enjoy!

i was out there on sun. too -- first skin over to BJ...

not alot of tracks over there either which makes sense with saturday's tram line situation and a total lack of tram operation on friday...

conditions were pretty wind affected -- particularly inbounds... the snow on the ridge/herd path looked extremely promising but the east face was more wind affected...

sweet.

-will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 am 

There shouldn't be any tracks from Jay Peak over to Big Jay... Or hadn't you heard??? http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4225&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:31 pm 

Shep wrote:
There shouldn't be any tracks from Jay Peak over to Big Jay... Or hadn't you heard??? http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4225&highlight=

I am familiar with the "herd path" being officially closed from the resort ... is that just for sliding or for peakbagging too??

last weekend there was basically the same signage and no rope on the resort side as it was in years past...

i'm a gmc member and am not going to get into some moral discussion about skinning up big jay being somehow more ethical and LNT than tramming up and skinning over if thats what you were looking for --- in a perfect world the top of jay and big jay would both be revegetation areas -- the fucking tram house is the only thing that prevents a 360 degree view from the summit of jay --- have you climbed jay? Its pretty gross up there in summer -- not really any vegetation at all and the LT doesn't have any boundries of any kind to encourage revegatation -- maybe the GMC should work on that?

-will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:02 am 

Nope, not trying to start a debate. And I've never been over to Big Jay either from the resort or skinning up. This season, I'm not even in New England, so I haven't seen the situation first hand. Someone else let me know that they aren't enforcing rules they set up, which I think is the silliest thing. "Here we've come up with a band-aid and we're going to scream like hell about it for a few weeks and then ignore it."

I just wish people would be more willing to work together to set up REAL efforts to take care of places and then be more consistent. It's what is driving me crazy about Texas, and why I can't wait to be done so I can get the hell out. Texas wouldn't know Wilderness if it bit them in the ass. In fact the state is trying to actively divest itself of public lands that don't have a state building on it. There's enough cattle ranches already. I guess I'll never be a good libertarian... :roll:

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:10 pm 

back to topic....

Went out on a tour Saturday morning. We set out with very little hope for our trip... We left home to frozen granular all over... got up to about 2000ft to find the same type of stuff but with an ice sheet melt into it... Grrrrrr! ANd to think, this area was facing north... hmmm...

So back on the road to a different location... We get out of the car and find a snow that' "alright"... After glidding for a couple of miles, we find the snow to be dryer and also fluffier (sp?)... Hmmm... could this be pow... Hmmm... We got up to about 3200ft and the snow was simply amazing considering we're flipping the calendar to april this week and we haven't received any major snow this week...

Well, those were the best two runs considering the very little hope we had before we started out... 12in of loose snow in most places and 4-6in of light stuff with a crust as you get to the bottom... In all, it was one of our most satisfying day of the season... we found some great lines and conditions were way above what was expected!

Hope we get some more snow this week as we'll spend next saturday touring also on a different mountain in Northern Vermont!

Back to you John,

Post subject: anyone up for camel's hump or moosilauke tomm?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:40 pm 

or have any input on what conditions might be like?

will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:38 pm 

where at? sounds like good spring riding at jay, 55-60 degrees today yesterday tomorrow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6