Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 171 Mojo w/ prototype topsheet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 am 

So far this season I have gotten out on the new Mojo close to 20 days. All I have ridden is powder. The Mojo proto from last season was of hybrid construction. The outer edges are cap and the center is sidewall construction.The new Mojo is cap all around. Immediatly there is a different and slightly softer flex to the new Mojo. This gives the new board much better float. In fact it almost pops right out of the snow. It likes to ride on top. I ,like BC Rider, thought it should have a bigger sweep up to the nose, ie.like a NS board. I now don't think it needs it. It doesn't affect the float at all.

I haven't weighed it, but, as I posted previously , it is the lightest board in my quiver. Certainly can feel it on the up track.

The ride seems to be all things for all people. You can just stand on top of it and float down hill if you want. The board does this nicely. Myself, I prefer to take a more proactive approach. This is where the board really shines. Drop in and STOMP on the turns and the Mojo repays with a smooth, powerful,ripping turn. It explodes from turn to turn.
There are those times when turning just seems inappropriate. The Mojo like's speed. Big G-turns open up a whole new realm for this board. The longer,stronger and faster the turn the more stable and smooth the board feels. I feel like I run out of vertical before I can really open it up and see just what kind of speed it can handle.Spent yesterday YO-YO ing some steep trees. The Mojo has the edge to edge responsiveness to make maching through the trees a blast. There were lots of quick ,tight spaces to fill and the Mojo delivers. No lag time. Got to air off some huge, downed trees. Nothing to big 3-4 ft., steep landings. Landed with complete confidence. After the first one I went into little kid mode. Looking for anything to get me off the ground. Sniper landings were no problem, just put it where you want it. So fun. Pop it, land it, rip a turn, look for the next hit. All day, soo fun :D :!:
Honestly, I haven't had a desire to ride any of my other boards in the last few weeks. I buffed out my Titan TX for a "Village" day and decided to take the day off instead. Rest up for the next day in the BC on the Mojo.

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to ride it on anything other than powder. When conditions change I'll report what I find. POW for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:24 am 

thanks for the review!

It would be even better with pics! :wink:

Post subject: Re: 171 Mojo w/ prototype topsheet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:50 pm 

split.therapy wrote:
I ,like BC Rider, thought it should have a bigger sweep up to the nose, ie.like a NS board. I now don't think it needs it. It doesn't affect the float at all.

Actually the NS nose design is the opposite of what I was talking about. The NS noses are very quick and steep with low to medium overall height. The Mojo's are more gradual and with medium height. I like gradual with just a little more height.

There are three ways to add more float.

1. Set back your stance. (easy enough but can have side effects)
2. Add taper to the board's shape. (works great in small and large doses based on conditions)
3. Add tip height. (effective and very little side effects)

I use a little of all three...my stance is set back for powder/freeriding but not so much that I cant try some airs and jibbing. A little bit of taper is great too but not so much that the board is super "turny". A good amount of tip height is an easy way to add float as well.

By adding float you don't have to run a super set back stance or constantly lean back (leg burn) to keep the tip up.

The Mojo is great in this regard...I just think the overall height could be a smidgen higher.

ps. Thanks for the review! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:41 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
thanks for the review!

It would be even better with pics! :wink:

Working on it.

BCRider, I wasn't saying you thought it needed a NS nose. I thought it might. I have been a big NS fan for about 5 yrs. They are the only boards I haven't destroyed in 3 months time, until I got the Mtn.Gun and last seasons proto Mojo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 pm 

I've got the Mojo proto too. Having a blast on it. More later after a few more tours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 pm 

I assume the current Mojo's in stores right now do not have the proto topsheet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:05 am 

badkarma wrote:
I assume the current Mojo's in stores right now do not have the proto topsheet?

Correct. The proto topsheet may be tougher. We shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:40 pm 

70 days, 315,000 vertical feet and a few hucks later. The Mojo is going strong! Capped top sheet is bomber. Board rides as good as day #1. I've ridden it in almost every condition possible, mostly bottomless powder. Wind scoured ridges, corn, crust(zipper&breakable), pool table, and crud! Handled all conditions flawlessly. Always fun :D :!: I'd say the Mojo is a winner!