Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on Prior Spearhead ...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm 

Anyone here tried a Prior Spearhead (Split or Non-Split) ... ? Any comments on your experience, good or bad ! Also, how would you compare the ride with a Khyber ... ?

Thanks for any inputs or comments ...

Michael.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:26 pm 

The Spearhead is a brand new board for 08. Not too many people would have had the chance to ride it as it was in proto last season. From what I understand it supposed to be a very well rounded board for the bc. Not actually riding one, I can only assume it will ride similar to a Kyber, but with the larger nose it should give you more float that the Kyber. But again, that won't be known until I get on one, which should hopefully be soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:47 am 

The spearhead is a missle. If you like going fast, this is the powder board of your dreams. The khyber turns much faster, but doesn't have the length to hang with this guy in open bowls. Due to the length, it'll also float decently when you're on the long flat runout at the bottom of the bowl.

Does that answer your question?

:D
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:49 am 

Thanks for your comments .... For those in the Calgary area... I was in Banff Saturday, and droped by Unlimited ... They have received a couple splits from Prior ... including a Spearhead-166 .... Pretty slick looking board. !!!!

On the Spearhead: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... e&sid=2856

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm 

Lachance wrote:
For those in the Calgary area...

Skicellar's got'em too.
Grabbed my BackCountry 165 @ thier 17th ave location last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:20 am 

One question :
My solid freeride board is a rossignol Jeremy Jones 169. If I buy a split spearhead do you think I should go longer (172) or shorter (166) ? I don't really understand what the longer nose involves for the size choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:47 pm 

The nose on the spearhead is both long and soft. It floats really well, but if you are currently riding a 169, the 166 may feel pretty short (the long nose gives it a shorter effective edge). I'd probably go with the longer one, but check the specs on the website for effective edge and sidecut radius. If you like the way your JJ rides, and want something with even more float, match the two. if you want faster turning for the same float, consider a shorter radius in the spearhead, or check out a Khyber 166.

Hope this helps,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 pm 

Ditto Sheps recco on the 172. Its like 4 cms of extra nose, and you don't really want to trade that for effective edge.

Riding the solid 72 this year and really like it. Had in deep pow through hard packed and it performed good in all conditions. Especially money on the heaver chopped up pow. See the skiers working so hard in it, but that nose just rides over chop and sucks it up.

Even in the trees, I find the tapered/shorter tail makes pretty snappy turns.

Only "drawback" for me so far is that i sometimes hang up the nose turning in moguly type terrain due to longer size. But I've basically adjusted for that by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:04 pm 

Mountain Gear is having a pretty decent discount on Spearhead Splits right now, and they have 172s and 178s in stock. Considering picking one up but have a similar question on length as what has been previously posted.

Does anybody know the effective edge of an 06/07 Voile SD173? Here's what I know:
171 Voile Mojo - 131.1 cm
172 Spearhead - 118.5 cm
178 Spearhead - 124.5 cm

What length would folks here recommend for a 190lb rider on a 173SD, the 172 or the 178? It seems like the 178 would be a better fit for me, but just curious what other people might think. Thanks.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:23 pm 

The spearhead is designed to be longer than your normal board. Unless you have a reason not to go for the 178.

Shep