Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A soft snowboard boot with a mountaineering sole.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 pm 

I can't believe there is nothing like this on the market? I am so sick of bruisig up my toes kickstepping up an icy slope, or clumsily trying to toe-stem rocky ridges. However I don't want an AT boot because I like a soft snowboard boot.

Is there a soft boot out there with an hard plastic toe, stiff rubber tread, and crampon connections (so i don't have to use strap-on crampons)?

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm 

Short answer: no. Longer answer: maybe, if you get creative. There are a bunch of posts now moved to the DIY forum (some of the links in there may not work if they refer to posts in their original location before they got moved to the new DIY forum). Here are a few to get started:

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2858
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2029
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3586
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2853

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:38 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=10770#10770

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:46 pm 

Good luck, I would do La Sportiva Nuptses with the absolute stiffest liners possible, so far the stiffest I have found are Zip-Fits, but mine have not held up very well, my setup has 30 full days of in and out of bounds riding with some snowmobiling adn mountaineering and they are thrashed. But ii really love them and would probably do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm 

I take stabs at this project every once in a while, getting a cobbler to put a mountaineering sole on a snowboard boot. I called one of the main mountaineering cobbler shops and they couldn't be bothered with it. No interest. I visited the local climbing shoe repair guy and he said 'No way.' Then he told me what to look for in a snowboard boot so that the sole could be replaced easily. Basically, you want a sole that can be stripped off the midsole to leave a flat surface, not one of those high tech molded soles. Then he seemed kinda interested in the project and I bet I could at least get him to look over my shoulder on it. But I haven't shopped for the boots very aggressively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 am 

Both my leather mountianeering boots and plastic AT boots are lower volume than any of my soft snowboarding boots. I think that the comfort of the soft boots coupled with the treaded and toe/heel bail capable mountianeering sole really would fit a niche that some would want. The market may not be large enough to make it worth it from a company's perspective. If a rand of plastic/rubber was used to adhere the sole to the bottom of the snowboard boot it could work, but how large of a boot sole would you need? I figure with my size 10 soft boots it may take as large as a 12 or 13 mountaineering boot sole to fit the volume shape of the soft boot. Maybe now that I have a disposable set of burton step in boots (my oldest of two pairs) I will see if I can strip down the boot sole to accomodate an add on mountineering sole.

But as for projects go...this will have to wait...lots of snow to ride right now and even an insomniac like me needs to get a few hours sleep before riding.

SanFrantastico's franken boots may eventually be a reality...

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:25 am 

This boot, Vasque ICE 9000, may be close to what you are seeking.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 am 

I wouldn't bet on it, it seems lower the the la sportiva nuptse, a similar boot. that boot works OK depending on the highback. For some bindings it's just too low and the plastic or whatever will have no padding at all. Additionally the stiff shank makes it less responsive for riding (i own it and i also own a "proper" soft boot). Plus the padding, though OK, is not great for the calf.

This boot seems to have a lower calf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:22 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
I wouldn't bet on it, it seems lower the the la sportiva nuptse, a similar boot. that boot works OK depending on the highback. For some bindings it's just too low and the plastic or whatever will have no padding at all. Additionally the stiff shank makes it less responsive for riding (i own it and i also own a "proper" soft boot). Plus the padding, though OK, is not great for the calf.

This boot seems to have a lower calf.

Calf padding...I have never seen a boot cut high enough to provide padding for your calf muscles, maybe the achilles tendon. I have tried on the Nuptse and the ICE 9000 has a similar cut and slightly higher volume which IMHO makes it fit into soft boot bindings better. The height of the cut works fine in either my P1 or CO2. How the stiffness of the shank affects the ride is based on the type of binding (whether it gets its responsiveness from the baseplate or the highback). If you own it, please let me know what "proper" boot you are comparing it to in terms of performance. While my Driver X are slightly more responsive, if I need a boot for crampons and technical terrain I will opt for the ICE 9000 every time before a snowboard boot with crampons that fit just OK. My $0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:47 pm 

Fair enough... The part that the highback hurts in ;-)

The "proper" boot I use is a Salomon F-24

The bindings I used with both boots are are the salomon things that are supposed to go with it, but the cheaper version, and Sparks

I found the Nuptse to definitely be good enough for riding, and of course better for the other stuff, but the salomon boot was just a nicer ride... More fun, more comfortable, etc.

The salomon boot is cut significantly higher, and has a much larger volume at the top. It's footprint is also much wider, but the lengths are fairly similar. I think it's officially 2/3rds of a euro size bigger.

Anyway, reading back into the thread though, I misread - I thought the OP was about just the vibram sole (which the Driver X has), but obviously luca_brasi wants welts and a shank too... Sorry, but I guess your suggestion was more on the spot than I thought, in which case guess I could suggest the Nuptse as another option, a fair bit more than OK for riding, and awesome for climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:10 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
The "proper" boot I use is a Salomon F-24

I have an old pair of Salomon Synapse that I still like to rock every now and then, and in general really like Salomon boots (wish they hadn't quit making mountaineering boots :( ). While I think my Driver X are fine, I am not really all that impressed and plan to pick up a pair of Malamutes next year. That heel lock strap is the shit.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: A soft snowboard boot with a mountaineering sole.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:20 pm 

luca_brasi wrote:
Is there a soft boot out there with an hard plastic toe, stiff rubber tread, and crampon connections (so i don't have to use strap-on crampons)?

Maybe the new La Sportiva Spantik Mountaineering Boot, a bit pricey but anybody try them yet?
It's a relatively soft double boot with mountaineering sole:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:42 pm 

I've seen it and wondered, I don't thjink it is verystiff at all, some of those boot have a high gaiter that is desceiving