Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venture Divide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:04 pm 

Well I didn't even notice there wasn't a divide thread yet. This board is awesome, if you can do it, go for it. I'm riding a 161, which is 5cm shorter than my last board, but it eats up the pow no problemo. The 10 mm of taper just makes it happen, it never dives and is short enough for the tightest tree spots. If you live in the Bozeman area I'll let you take it out for a spin. It's built crazy tough too, I slid down some early season junk a few weeks ago that should have really screwed up my ride, but it hardly left a mark. All that and they're green too. What do the other divide riders have to say?

As a sidenote, I'm not sponsored by venture, we trade retail for retail on our respective products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 pm 

Will, I was going to ask you for a review after seeing your Divide in your photos and seeing bcr with one up for sale. Normally since I'm just under 6' and weigh about 210 I ride 163 boards inbounds and my solid powder board is a 174. Now that I started splitting I have a 163 self split and a burton 165. I'm not sure what size I should be looking for. I have been riding for just over 20 years, but I'm not as extreme as some of the riders out there. I do love the steep, deep and trees, so I want something that should handle it all. Your input is gladly recieved. Thanks.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 pm 

Check a little further down under "venture Snowboards"! :wink: These boards are nice, I love mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:56 pm 

Oh, um, duh

Well I guess we have a new thread for the divide specifically, yeah, that's what I meant to do in the first place. :oops:

Post subject: divide 165
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:58 am 

:D I bought a venture divide 165cm 26cm w.w. I've been out on it 3 times so far and I have to say I love it.I don't have any other comparisons other than an old voile I rented which was fun as it was my first split experience but the board was lacking.The venture road flawlessly I live in park/summit county CO.and have been riding it on variable lower angle terrain.Powder 6-10"s,wind crusts thin to bullett proof and open bowlish glades to wicked tight trees.I'm 5'10" 160lbs 18 years of riding experience this board rocks it turns well even at lower speeds in tight trees.It charges through it with confidence and seems to be a very stable ride thus far.I'm looking forward to bigger steeper terrain as conditions allow will post more as time goes on.Happy riding peace out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:25 am 

Hi all, looking for some size advice on the Venture Divide - I've seen a 156 narrow on sale, but am not 100% convinced that it won't be a little long for me. My current boards are:

Burton Fish 150 - 2nd hand, very cheap, great fun in the trees.

Option Trinity 155 - stiff board, has felt a bit too much sometimes, especially when I'm tired. Can be a bit of a struggle in tight conditions, although I'm getting better at handling it.

Arbor Push 152 - bought in a sale 'cos I've been lusting after one for ages. Rode for 6 days in great bc conditions in Chamonix, love it, no problems in knee deep powder despite the shorter length. An altogether easier ride than the Option, but no less capable.

I was set on getting the Voile Mojo 154, but the Divide looks great and I love their ethos. However, not much good if I end up hating the board (I've had a love-hate relationship with the Option).

I'm 5'7", female, 130lb without gear. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider, been riding 8 years, comfortable on most terrain except the very steep and icy.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks in advance!
Emma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:01 am 

The divide I tested was a very lively ride. It was towards the end of the day, and I was riding busted up pow, so it was a bit too much for me. I had the same problem with the burton fish, but the super damp NS came through for me. If you like a poppy, lively board that really communicates the snow to you, the divide would be a good fit. personally, I feel like my arbor element is more middle of the road, and I'd err more towards NS damping for my own tastes.

Based on your feelings about the Option, which I know nothing about other than your statements below, the Mojo might be the better board for you.

Hope this helps,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:42 pm 

Took my 165 Divide out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. While I was skeptical about how responsive it would be, as this is my first split, I was pleasantly surprised in how it handled. Rode very similarly to one of my in-bounds boards (159 Burton Baron ES), and the 165 length handled the weight of my mountaineering pack (four days of food and gear) just fine. The Divide was solid in everything from wind-scoured crust to corn to wind-blown powder, and was responsive enough to avoid most of the rocks and vegetation protruding the snowpack and maneuver through tight trees. After the 6,000 descent from Mt. Tyndall, not continuous, I am extremely happy with my purchase...trip report and pics coming soon.

My only complaint is the weight when the board has to be carried on the pack...reminds me of my pack weight on Denali, not a good thing. Also ,had a slight problem holding my heelside edge at times (wanted to wash out), I assume this was due to me shifting my weight towards my toes due to the heavy pack, any thoughts?

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:19 pm 

That weight thing is about the only downfall to splitboards. They are just going to be heavier than their solid board counter parts. Hopefully as the tech evolves, there won't be such a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm 

Got the chance to ride the Divide this last weekend. The only other split I've ever ridden is my old, beat up, previously owned voile SD circa 2000 or so. My split is a 159 and my longest solid board is a 162, the Divide I was trying out was a 165 (medium width).
The first thing I noticed upon picking it up was the shallow side cut, and it seemed a little on the wider side. Between that and it being longer than I'm used to I thought I was going to have trouble turning it. As it happens, it was surprisingly easy to turn, I'm guessing that had something to do with the taper. I was amazed out how nicely the two halves came together, very solid, no gap. Even without the binders on it had a nice, tight fit, really well made and felt like a solid board on the ride.
It held a solid edge on the groomers at the resort and provided a stable landing platform on the little jumps in the kiddie terrain park. In the backcountry, it skinned well, and was easy to edge into a variety of hardpack. I took it down an open bowl and a series of gullies. It did a good job going through mixed snow conditions (corn, ice, slush, corn, more ice), though I wasn't feeling as confident on it as I was at the resort. I think this is because I was also demo'ing a pair of sparks that day and hadn't spent a lot of time getting them dialed in. Didn't get to take it into any powder but I'm guessing it would do well due to the shape. Overall I really liked the board. The price is a little prohibitive but I'm going to start saving my pennies, I'm hoping the Divide will replace my beater some day in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:22 pm 

PSA: Currently two venture divides on ebay starting at around $200 new. As much as I hate to invite more watchers to the boards I'm considering, I really need to let someone else buy these. I have spent enough on gear this year. One is a 161 and the other a 165. Both were newly listed with zero bids when I saw them this morning.

There are also a handful of other splits when searching "splitboard" in sporting goods. One burton, two ventures and four voile boards in total.

Lurkers...buy them and get into the split addiction.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 pm 

Thanks Mumbles. If I win it I'll let you take it for a ride :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm 

Here is a search for "split board" or "splitboard" in the sporting goods section for anybody who wants to save it.