Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:24 am 

Have had my new Unity split for 3 weeks now(~15,000' vert) and have ridden it on hardpack, powder, & variable conditions. 1st time out I thought it was maybe too stiff but am getting used to it & am liking it more with each outing.

Construction of the board looks to be excellent & solidly built.

The 1-2 small details I contacted Unity about seem to be met with lackluster indifference so I'm hoping there's no major issues with the board - just not sure how that would be handled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 am 

Hmmm, one or two small issues. Like what? Unity has always been quality imo. Definitely high end boards. I would expect them to at least give you an answer. I will say that for some reason I get better responses from companies by calling them than using the internet as a form of communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:14 am 

Small issue like the plastic hook & post at 1 end unscrewed itself(didn't break - must have forgotten the threadlocker when installing?) while touring out from an area I was in so I asked if I should get them from Unity or Voile or Habitat Sports(place I purchased from). The response over 10 days later was:
"We aren't selling splits any more - don't have any hardware - get them wherever"

This Pete guy strikes me as a real douche. He does make a solid built board though. Hopefully it'll hold up well now that I know I'm S.O.L. on backup.

The vibe I get from Habitat is they feel the same about the guy. Seem pretty pissed about his could-hardly-give-a-shit attitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:42 pm 

"I used to look up to Ramseys, but now I think he's a real douche."

Are they not using rivets on the tip/tail hooks?

Quote:
We aren't selling splits any more

Stupid question, but does this mean Unity is not making splits or the shop is not selling splits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm 

lewmt wrote:
The response over 10 days later was:
"We aren't selling splits any more - don't have any hardware - get them wherever"

Wow…that is weak!!!

I'm glad I didn't spend any energy try to help Unity promote their splitboards here.

Right now our sport seems like its at that stage where companies are starting to gain interest but if the heart and passion isn't there like it is with Voile, Prior, and Never Summer…they wont make it over the long haul. Kind of a bummer though with Unity…they obtained one of the limited number of licensing agreements from Voile (while other companies got denied) only to pull this crap a year later. Too bad, their boards looked pretty nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:24 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Right now our sport seems like its at that stage where companies are starting to gain interest but if the heart and passion isn't there like it is with Voile, Prior, and Never Summer…they wont make it over the long haul...

Yeah - I think the prospect of hanging an $1000+ price tag on a snowboard is a big lure for a company. But when faced with the reality of getting the two halves of the board to line up, they figure out that the price is high for a reason. You've either got to either set up a great factory system (Voile and Burton) or have superior craftsmanship (NS).

If you were only moving a small number of splitboards and throwing a high number of mistakes in the trash I could see getting tired of being in the business really fast. I think there's a great payoff for those that stick with it, which takes passion & commitment & a backcountry focus.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season. I thought we were moving toward more models being available. But with Unity out, Voile pulling back to one model, and suspicions about Burton's commitment that might not be the case. We'll see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm 

Quote:
Stupid question, but does this mean Unity is not making splits or the shop is not selling splits?

Unity Is not making splits any more - according to Pete Wurster - who is the big chief at Unity. Habitat sports in Victor, ID was the retailer selling them & they seem like good people. Its too bad really its a well built board & my big reason for going that route was to help the little guys just trying to break-in. I also had this crazy notion the little company would give great customer service.

I never even figured the hook thing was a warranty deal & figured on buying the replacement but after the response I got - I thought I should warn everyone else here.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:32 am 

That response is unbelievable. Makes you question any sort of product support they may give. I don't have a problem with them not making splits, but they need to help you with the product that is out there.

Unity just dropped a notch in my book. Bummer. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 am 

It really is a shame they aren't going to keep building these boards - every time I ride this 1 of mine I like it more - kinda like it has its own unique responive feeling but once I've learned how the board wants to be ridden it really kicks ass. Oh well maybe it'll be a collectors item some day. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:04 pm 

That is too bad that they were not more accommodating. Pete isn't that bad of a guy and a phone call would have gotten better results. But the bottomline is that the hardware is available from Voile. And you should carry a spare set of just about every little piece in your pack. It weighs nothing to carry a few screws, aluminum and plastic items. I broke off one of my plastic latches at the top of a run and used some wire to hold it together. When I got home i purchased one of every little piece on teh board. It cost very little and buys a whole lot of security.

Post subject: Re: Unity
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 pm 

There back, Unity is producing splitboards for 2010/2011 season > http://vimeo.com/11097666 ... http://www.unitysnowboards.com/site/videos/ ...