Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowboard boots vs. teleski boots on the downstroke
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 pm 

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I've been wanting to spend more time in the BC, and after buying a tele set-up and realizing I suck at skiing, I took the plunge and bought the Voile Mojo.

I know this question has probably been brought up before, but I'm wondering just how different the ride down feels in ski boots (tele) vs. snowboard boots. I've got these tele boots that I will probably never use again, but damn are they comfortable on the skin up. I also thought I'd like to keep my snowboard boots for the lifts and keep them from wearing out due to walking.

Maybe its a stiffer ride? so the bindings would be more responsive? (not sure if thats really the case) Do people often have to change their riding stance when using ski boots? Pros/cons? (I know I'll have to canabilize my tele boots to get them to fit in the Voile mountain plate binding, probably much to the dismay of my tele skier buddies)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm 

Yes, they will be stiffer. You can loosen up the upper buckles some to compensate. Find an A/T boot to look at the toe area, and grind down to imitate, you can make 'em fit. You will have to tweak the stance to get comfortable, possibly forward facing angles on both feet, cants under the pucks, etc. I'd stay away from duck stance, at least large amounts of it. 15 degrees or so of separation will be enough, and give you enough power to do bumps, if you want. Everyone will have their own ideas on stance stuff, so take mine as a loose recomendation. I personally like my boots fairly tight for the power, and ride my split at 38f/30r. I use Dynafit TLT4 boots, mtn. plates, and a homemade cant/lift shim under my rear foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 pm 

SplitterMO, I'm a first year splitter and I'm riding Alpine Touring boots. I strongly considered a garmont tele boot that weas very comfortable, even knowing I may have to grind down the toe area to fit well into my plate bindings. Like Jon said, there will be tons of opinions out there, mine is merely another one. I ride less angle than Jon, but he and I have ridden the same slopes on one occasion both inbounds and out of bounds on one day. I like my AT boots for comfort, support, skinning, take a crampon easliy. My AT boots are pretty close to my soft boot comfort, although they are stiffer. I ride them in walk mode, snug low and looser up top and it works for me in powder, crud and groomers. Since you already have the boots, take them out for a ride. If you like them, you will know that right away. Hard or soft find your preference and enjoy.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 am 

You could split a tele board. Actually, it's too narrow. You couold skin on one teleboard and one approach ski.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:01 pm 

Teleboard?? Wha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 pm 

I run soft boot angles with AT boots. Wouldn't have it any other way.