Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travelling with Splitboard gear?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 am 

I'll be flying out to Reno with my split gear. Of course the board and boots will be in the travel bag, but what about the other stuff. I've read in other forums of people having trouble with TSA nazis at security, beacons being lifted from baggage by security. I'm inclined to carry on beacon/shovel/probe and check the rest.

What say ye?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:41 am 

While I have never been ripped off by the TSA (carring lots of camera gear) If I was worried I would carry on my beacon. Take out the batteries though or they may think its a bomb. Specially if its blinking.

What day you coming down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:10 pm 

I think it would be fine to carry on your avy essentials, but if you remove the batteries you had better have them handy. TSA likes to make you turn on anything that is a battery operated device to prove to them that it works. Sometimes they are crazy about laptops, cameras, media players, etc. I guess they would likely consider the same thing about your beacon.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:52 pm 

Why not check all of it? I don't carry on anything other than my iPod and a magazine. I've always got my checked baggage in the same condition I left it with security.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 pm 

If you elect to carry-on don't forget your snow saw and ice axe ;-)

Seriously though, I think the TSA will probably not like a shovel carried on, in the movies people kill other people with them all the time. I wouldn't risk carrying it on and having to ditch it, the probe and shovel shouldn't raise concern checked in, nor is the chance of it being removed/lost very big.

On the flip side, if someone is having a bad day at the security checking counter, you might end up needing to buy a new shovel/whatever at your destination, which would suck much more. I think that has a bigger likelihood of happening.

On the one occasion that I stuffed my snowboard bag with many sharp looking metal things in many layers, i found a note saying they opened it. I didn't see anything move inside though, I think they probably just swabbed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:58 pm 

Also, you could put your beacon it into the secret "weed-pocket" that DaKine is introducing to their line of air travel bags next year. 8)

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm 

I would definitely take your boots as carry-on, as well as anything else you must have. Other stuff can be rented or purchased (at the airlines expense, of course) but I'm guessing you already know how tough it can be to find boots that fit just right, especially if you have custom footbeds or orthodics. Nothing will ruin your trip more than your feet hurting the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 am 

Quote:
Also, you could put your beacon it into the secret "weed-pocket" that DaKine is introducing to their line of air travel bags next year.

Yo Luca...where do ya put the weed then? :mrgreen:

You are over thinking this. Just take your rolling board bag and put all your gear in it. Boots.poles ,skins ect. Put your beacon and stuff in your pack (the one you will use splitting) and head to check in.

Bake up some good cookies or brownies for the flight and your in