Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2-Way Radios
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:51 pm 

Hey - Anyone out there really love their 2-way radios? I've had bad luck and I'm looking for recommendations. Here' my requirements:

1. Good Effective Range
2. No rechargeable batteries - AA or AAA please.
3. Easy to use - w/gloves on preferably
4. Doesn't go on by itself bouncing around in your pack

Thanks, Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 pm 

I'm looking for some suggestions as well - I'll see your list and raise you hands free - something like this? http://www.motorola2wayradios.com/k06d- ... adset.html or have I watched too many movies?

Something like that would ideal for keeping in touch with your tree buddy when riding terrain with killer tree wells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm 

This is not first hand experience, but a friend of mine recently told me that the best option is to buy them from china on ebay because that way you can get them unregulated. It's probably illegal but the chances of somebody caring are zilch. The transmitters are just much more powerful than you can get on a consumer radio, so you get a very good range without needing to pay a lot of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:18 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
This is not first hand experience, but a friend of mine recently told me that the best option is to buy them from china on ebay because that way you can get them unregulated. It's probably illegal but the chances of somebody caring are zilch. The transmitters are just much more powerful than you can get on a consumer radio, so you get a very good range without needing to pay a lot of money.

It's a neat idea, but here in the US, running a radio out of band, or in the wrong band is illegal (Unless you have the license). I know, who's gonna turn you in, right? Well, let me tell you, I have my Amateur radio license, and trust me, there are some really bored radio freaks out there that monitor looking exactly for such stuff. They are pretty quick to call the FCC too, and even brag about how many "free banders" and QRM's they have turned in. Pretty pathetic, I know. But they are out there.

But then again, If you are on the move, how is the FCC gonna catch you, right?

Post subject: Motorola T9500xlr works for me...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:09 am 

I've tried a few different ones over the years, and they are pretty hit and miss... Definitely more on the miss side..

Grabbed a pair of the newer Motorola 25 mile ones at Christmas in anticipation of a trip to Whistler. Saw them mentioned by some of the film crew at TGR as being "essential gear". So, thought I'd give them a try.

My old Motorola's from over the years have enough trouble on the same side of a small Tahoe resort, no chance at Whistler... Initial tests were fine, as long as you remember which transmit button to use when you are at an extended range... They can transmit in either low power or high power modes..

Anyway, we had pretty good luck with them working over a couple miles and about 4500ft vert distances in Whistler. Placed an order for a drink at the bar as I was dropping off Peak chair, a couple miles away...

Even these are not flawless, as many other reviews will site... In crowded resort areas, you do get a lot of drop out. However, away from the resorts, they seem pretty solid.

They work for me, for the few times I've used them... Better than the last few I've used, but still not as good as I would like..

Post subject: Re: 2-Way Radios
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 pm 

Bump....

Been thinking through things to improve from my first season in the BC. One of them is being able to know when a partner has cleared a line, encountered sketch, or is positioned to take that splitboard.com cover shot.
In any event, wondering if anyone else has settled on a good set of radios? :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm 

I've been wondering the same thing. I've had my eye on these: http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP ... 9MUEJ9YGCU

They seem to get good reviews in the radio world but I can't speak from first hand experience YET. Hopefully soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:11 am 

aliasptr wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing. I've had my eye on these: http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP ... 9MUEJ9YGCU

They seem to get good reviews in the radio world but I can't speak from first hand experience YET. Hopefully soon!

That is a sweet deal! I like the idea of getting the hands free stuff in a single purchase. Though I've read that GMRS requires a license? :scratch:

Also the Motorola T9500xlr that was suggested previously looks like a decent deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 am 

The hands free is nice but one requirement I've had for two-ways when I've been looking is including a NOAA weather radio and alerts. I'm guessing that the mountain ranges the majority of us ride in most of the time have pretty good coverage which is nice for multi-day trips.

As for GMRS licensing, yes you do need it. Here's the main FCC website about it:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index. ... ral_mobile

It's $85 for a 5 year license: http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/feegu ... mobile.pdf

Also in the overview of GMRS, it specifies that the license is only good for the licensee and your immediate family. Which I realize now kind of sucks seeing as if you're out with your buddies they all better, technically, have their own licenses.

I mean who's going to really give a crap and will the FCC come after you? No but I've heard that there are some hardcore radio dudes out there that specifically LOOK for people illegally using these types of services.

Also you can just never use the GMRS channels and limit yourself to the unlicensed FRS channels which are limited to like 500 mW of power and thus less range.

Ok enough radio geekery... but now I have this written down for when I finally get the radios myself...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 pm 

Indeed, good call on having NOAA along for multi-day trips..... and thanks for digging up all the 411 on the GMRS :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:44 am 

One of the best purchases ever! I have some similar to the Motorola SX600R NiMH Rechargeable Two-Way Radios. Use them all the time for backcountry riding, rock climbing and four wheeling the trucks. I have a pair of Motorolas that are a couple years old. They have the high power GMRS frequencies. They're not the weather proof ones, but they've in the snow and held up fine. They have the rechargable 3AA pack which isn't the strongest so I bring some E squared lithiums with me too which work great.
I don't bother with the license, but use the GMRS freq all the time. Not too worried about getting tracked down in the middle of nowhere backcountry. I hardly ever hear anyone else on the radios when I scan the channels anyway.

Definitely worth a purchase

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:47 pm 

GMRS is NOT "high power" :banghead: or anything even remotely close. Those radios are very low power, and mostly just toys. GMRS is less than 1/10 the range of handheld VHF or UHF radios on ham radio bands which are allowed to operate up to 200 watts of power on a technician class license ($12).

Handheld ham radios cost $60-$200+ and have minimum 5 watts of TX power. Then you can use the free repeater towers and talk to anyone in a 100 mile circle who has a ham radio on your frequency. :bananas:

License is easy to get and fast. You can be using your radio legally in less than a week from when you find a place to take the test.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:35 am 

I use VHF. low cost big power.

Yaesu VX-170 in the pack. with a waterproof mic/speaker on the shoulder strap. Easily transmit over ridges. The stock battery is good for 3 days.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=7A3213027D790BCFC558E51B3306C192&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

www.adventurelogistics.com