Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile SD Mountain Plate binding (complete)?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 pm 

In hopes of cutting down the weight of my split, and being able to use mountaineering boots I was hoping to try one of the "AT" type bindings.

I like climbing in Scarpa Invernos or some other comparable plastic climbing boot. I probably wouldn't buy a special AT "Ski" boot for this application.

My friends' new AT ski gear is so light I am jealous and it seems as though the split manufacturers are light years behind the concept of light gear.

How do people like this binding? What boots do you like to use them with?

Are there any other options that you would recommend? If so, can you kindly provide a link to the product? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 pm 

prior_rider, this is my first split season after riding solid boards for 20 years. I have settled on an AT setup with the voile mountain plate bindings and Lowa Struktura EVO boots. I trimmed down the inner cuff of the plastic about 1" on the inside portion only to allow a bit more inward flex. This boot width is narrower than the voile slider plate, so there is no overhang slop. I can ride, hike, skin, use a boot crampon, I'm very pleased overall. I hope this input helps, but every rider is different. Good luck dialing in your setup for your needs and preferences.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:05 am 

I've found my invernos did not provide nearly enough support for toe and heelside turns. The laces just don't hold tight. IF you were surfing pow all day and night maybe... :roll: they seem to work fine with strap bindings though. For mtn plates, I think you need to look at light weight AT boots like the Scarpa F1 or Garmont Megalight to get better fore-aft support.

HTH,
Shep

Post subject: Echo Shep's comments on PMB's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 am 

Although I won't attempt to discourage your efforts to find an all in one boot, I will echo Shep's comments. I tried my mountaineering boots at the begining of the season. I thought it logical to have an all in one boot for the splitter. My attempts at getting tolerable ride control quality failed in various conditions. I was ridign my Salomon super moutain 9's and there was nowhere enough control for the ride down. I even tried adding a plastic cuff for height and support, that too failed. I bought a used pair of AT boots (Lowa Struktura EVO) added a thermo liner and now I consider this boot setup with the voile mtn plate the best and lightest for my split. There are many a thread here on creating frankenboots with an upper made of soft boots and a lower made of mountaineering boots, but so far there is no clear winner. Keep us posted on your trials.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 pm 

Thanks, this is helpful.

I should probably migrate over to an AT ski forum to see what AT boots skiers like to "climb"in. Kicking steps, crampon compatibility, and ability to slog for 16 hours are features I would look for.

I know that some of the AT boots are running in the $700 range, but two of you recommend a Lowa boot that runs under $300.

I doubt I would try and make a "frankenboot"

I will also look at other threads on here. Thanks all for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 pm 

prior_rider, if you are a Seattlite, you likley know of a place called "second ascent" I got my lowa struktura evo's there for $150. They were used, but looked brand new. There were several AT boots there in the $300 or less range that were from new to beat to hell condition. I would recommend you check them out. They are in Ballard just off of 20th I think.

As for mine, they walk well, nicely rockered vibram sole. Three buckles, which seems to be a flexible alternative to four and more buckled boots. There is also a power strap. I can't say I have hiked in them for 16 hours, but I have been in them for a couple of 12 hour days that included some hike, skin, ride and step kicking time. I have not really tested them climbing, but they are close to as comfortable as my much shorter mountaineering boots. I'm not saying this is the route for your taste, but it is a route worth checking out...especially if you can get lucky like me and find a cheaper way to experiment with the AT boots. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:18 pm 

another pair of boots you might want to add to your shortlist are the Dynafit tlt 3's. light, relatively soft 2 buckle with a power strap and spoiler. I bought a pair used and threw in some new thermo-liners. great for kickstepping into ice and snow...and a rockered sole for less franken-stepping...
gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 am 

I haven't gotten my feet into a pair yet, but I think the other challenge is that you don't have the same goals that an AT skier has for the downhill part. Search for Affix Snows posts about his scarpas. I think he's pretty happy with his setup, and he's posted a decent amount about the pros and cons.

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 pm 

I've been riding in Scarpa Lasers w/ Mtn. Plates for 6 seasons. Love them. Light,responsive, soft enough to surf pow in walk mode and stiff enough to really drive an edge in ski mode. I can kick steps with no toenail donations. I only need to own one pair of crampons. My Mtn. Plates have out lived 3 pair of standard bindings. My Lasers have outlived 2 pairs of Drivers, 2 pairs of Malamutes and 1 pair of 32's. Did I mention light? Even my Dynafit obsessed buddies are amazed at how light my kit is. They skin better than any soft boot. It's what they are made for. I paid under $200.00 for the Lasers and under $50.00 for the bindings. I would say that I paid less for that set up than my last pair of traditional snowboard bindings. They weigh much less.