Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:12 pm 

kaganzuba, I ride a mojo 171 and I'm 6'3", 175lbs without a pack. I ride the selkirks mt range so there is a great mix of open alpine and long tree runs. Seeing as the visibility around here is so bad I spend a lot of time in the trees. This mojo is one snappy board. I have no trouble riding any of the terrain I've encountered. My resort board is 163cm and I haven't noticed any drawbacks moving up to the longer board. If you are a solid, fast rider there is no reason to be afraid of a few extra cms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:48 pm 

i guess i'm wondering if the 66 would be legit in deep with a moderate weight pack.. or if the 71 offers a significant increase in floatation. this is going to be my one and only split too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:34 pm 

I look at my split this way - "what am I spending more time doing skinning up or riding down? Can I backset my bindings for better float in deep? Ok so which board will pack more snow breaking trail or even following trail in clingy wetter snow? Me - personally - for splitting - I like going a little shorter. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:52 pm 

lewmt wrote:
I look at my split this way - "what am I spending more time doing skinning up or riding down? Can I backset my bindings for better float in deep? Ok so which board will pack more snow breaking trail or even following trail in clingy wetter snow? Me - personally - for splitting - I like going a little shorter. :roll:

My thinking is just the opposite. If I'm going to climb my ass off 3/4 of the day the ride down better be the best it can be. The last thing I want to do sis wallow on the way down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 pm 

Ah, the differing perspectives. That is what I find so intriguing about this forum.

I just weighed my burton custom spit 165 and mojo 171.
Burton with climbing hardware only 7.4 pounds.
Burton with baseplates and plate bindings 14.2 pounds
Voile with climbing hardware only 7.4 pounds.
Voile with slider plates and mountain plate bindings 11.4 pounds.

That makes the larger voile 2.8 pounds lighter (although the plate bindings are not the same ones on each riding setup). I would consider that a pretty fair weight differential but see that the interface and bindings constitute the difference. I wonder how that weight will change when I add a set of Gary's canted pucks for the no drill burton conversion. Then I can use the same lighter slider plates and bindings keeping the two boards about the same weight as one another.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:12 am 

FWIW, for a bit more apples to apples comparison, here are some weights I measured (w/a highly accurate scale):

Voile Mojo 171 w/Voile hardware, NO slider plates: 9.4 lbs
Prior Khyber 165 w/Voile hardware, NO slider plates: 9.4 lbs
Burton 168S w/Voile hardware, NO slider plates: 9.4 lbs
Burton 165S w/Burton hardware, NO interface plates: 8.75 lbs

Voile slider tracks: 0.8 lbs
Burton interface plates w/crescent rings: 1.6 lbs

So, the Burton 168S is exactly the same as the Mojo 171. Yeah, the Mojo is a tad longer, but I'd personally take the tiny weight difference and get the extra durability of a non-cap construction.

Compared to the old Burton 165S with the Burton interface system, there again is not much weight difference (Mojo 171 w/hardware and slider plates = 10.2 lbs; Burton 165S w/hardware and interface plates = 10.35 lbs), however in this case there is more of a length difference.

This all points out that the bindings are where to look to reduce weight (unless you want to spend $$$ on a carbon split). Here's a pretty startling number:

Burton P1 carbon bindings on Burton interface plates: 6.80 lbs
Spark Ignition bindings: 4.55 lbs

That's huge! Go Will! :)

InTheMountains wrote:
ah, when they get divorced, jimw gets custody of the burton and mumbles gets the voile

I want HALF!!! (should be easy with a split)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:40 pm 

But Jim...the question be.....how does the Burton 08 168S compare to the 08 Voile 166 Mojo? Because you are the only one I know personnal to ride both Im holding off my purchase till I get the Chief's Review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:24 pm 

Dude - demo that shizznit at Mammoth Mountaineering. You'll get your rental fee back if you buy the board. Which reminds me... we should plan some more East side recon soon.