Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 pm 

Waterhouse was amazing yesterday afternoon. Some pics here:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewt ... 901#583901

Two inbounds avalanches at Kirkwood this weekend - one on Sunday, one on Monday. Details here (some interesting thoughts on bringing avy gear to the resort):
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... p?t=110662

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 am 

jim, you can still post your tr's here, even if you're not on your split. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:36 am 

Can anyone comment on the warming trend the last couple of days? Is anyone finding soft snow on north slopes. Is it going to stick around for the weekend?

Tahoe peeps sure are a tight lipped bunch this season. Few updates, no TR's. I guess I'm not contributing either so....

Last Saturday was good consolidated powder near Rose and Sunday was deep powder that wasn't heavy at Homiewood.

Haven't taken pictures for two weeks so no TR's. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:08 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
Can anyone comment on the warming trend the last couple of days? Is anyone finding soft snow on north slopes. Is it going to stick around for the weekend?

I might get out tomorrow morning for a couple quick laps and some scouting. Will let you know what I find. Pete and I intend to hit some seldomly-visited places near Mt.Rose this weekend if it looks good. I could be talked into going to *assen otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 am 

knucklesplitter wrote:
powderjunkie wrote:

I might get out tomorrow morning for a couple quick laps and some scouting. Will let you know what I find. Pete and I intend to hit some seldomly-visited places near Mt.Rose this weekend if it looks good. I could be talked into going to *assen otherwise.

Didn't get out today. Not feeling too well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:48 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:

I was planning on hitting up Pinecrest Peak just above Sonora on Sunday but today was VERY warm. I haven't checked but I bet it was at least 65. I'm going to hit up some local OK mtbing instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 am 

Got out near Red Lake yesterday with BC Mex and the dogs. Decent corn on the S slopes. We were heading back past Kirwood around 4:30 and the road was closed West bound. We phoned Gas/Road and they said it was Avy control. It got warm, but with that aspect, it seemed a bit odd - especially given our observations for the day. Just curious if anyone has details on whether it was controlled or a natural surprise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:19 pm 

Rode the Cathedral Bowl chutes on Tallac today. The corn was ripe around 11am, maybe a bit earlier. Very fun.

I took the normal Spring Creek route up and the boot pack seemed more popular than the skin track on the way up. Multiple telemarkers booting from the cars, something you don't see everyday.

Skin track beta, the north facing side of the ridge (closer to Corkscrew) was much easier skinning.

Desolation looked amazing, sorry for no pics, left the camera in the kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:23 pm 

A SERIES OF STORMS WILL BEGIN IMPACTING THE SIERRA AND WESTERN
NEVADA LATER THIS WEEK AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND. THE
FIRST WEAK SYSTEM WILL BRING RAIN AND SNOW TO THE AREA AS EARLY
AS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND WILL LINGER INTO WEDNESDAY. HOWEVER...THE
MORE SIGNIFICANT STORMS WILL AFFECT THE REGION STARTING THURSDAY
BRINGING COLDER AND WETTER WEATHER THROUGH THE WEEKEND. SNOW IS
LIKELY IN THE SIERRA THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...WITH A MIX OF RAIN AND
SNOW IN THE VALLEYS OF EASTERN CALIFORNIA AND WESTERN NEVADA
THURSDAY NIGHT...CHANGING TO ALL SNOW BY EARLY FRIDAY. THE
STRONGER STORMS LOOK TO AFFECT THE AREA ON THURSDAY AND
FRIDAY...WITH AN EVEN MORE POTENT STORM POSSIBLE BY SUNDAY.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Post subject: Calling in sick?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:03 pm 

cough cough sniffle sniffle sneeze sneeze...sounds like BG will be coming down with a bit of sickness this week and might have to call in sick...just send the TR's, we won't tell.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:47 am 

Weekend update:

SanFrantastico wrote:
ja_surf wrote:
DP at Waterhouse followed by a talking to echo tour we started around 1:00pm. Talking was scary every ski cut we made slid to the old layer, had to just ski cut all the way down to just above the more mellow avy path. At that point we bailed on our original destination of Flag Pole and opted for the safer Echo trees which ended up being the best turns of the weekend. Bit dicy finding the right line off the top up Echo in a virtual blizzard, crazy winds up there.

Our group retreated from Angora Saturday for the same reasons. We approached up the drainage from Falling Leaf and saw crowns & debris in all 5 chutes we looked up, including one just above the crux in Hall of the Gods. This was before the storm so it wasn't breaking deep, but bonding to the rain layer was close to non-existant.

Here are some pics.

Started out looking pretty nice on Sat on the way out to Angora. Our goal was to check out the Halls area.

But then we started seeing lots of small crowns in several chute areas, like SF said. They were all sliding on a really hard crust layer. A couple crowns:

Our goal was to get to the Halls Of The Gods area, but it just wasn't gonna happen with those conditions. We saw the crowns, passed through some avy debris, and heard a whumph, and that was it. Time to head back. Storm was heading in at this point anyway. I did get a couple pics looking up at the Indian Rock area.

Fallen Angel needs more coverage:

Top of Halls in some clouds from the approaching storm:

The clouds cleared and I got a better look at the top of Halls... and there was a crown there too, all the way across the chute above a choke. Here's a closeup, the crown is in the lower right:

Of course, I'm sure this all looks totally different now with 2 more feet of snow now. I'm worried about that hard crust layer though. I could see some big ones sliding on that.

Anyway, we turned around and at least found a few pow turns in a safer area on the way out.

We also found a rock to play around on.

L2R doing a boned out spinny thing

SF had actually never jumped off a rock before. Not bad for a first attempt!

Then we went to get a late lap on Powderhouse in the storm. It was good, but kinda weird because since it was really deep, but sometimes you would hit the crust.

Sunday we went to the Heave. Firebreak was awesome! You could just point it and haul ass, and get amazing pow turns. In fact, you pretty much had to point it and haul ass or else you'd get stuck.

Speaking of getting stuck, we decided to do the Gville run that afternoon. After a mildly heinous bootpack/skin/traverse to get out there, we dropped in, and it was DEEEEEP. Too deep in fact. Most parts it was all I could do to lean all the way back and straightline with just enough speed to not sink. In one of the steeper sections, we got about 10 of the most amazing powder turns of the year, which almost made up for the other 4000 ft or so of leg-burning "survival straightlining"/postholing. Type II fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:14 am 

Nice pics, Jim! Love that last gville pic. Just one quibble...

jimw wrote:
SF had actually never jumped off a rock before. Not bad for a first attempt!

Attempt!?! What attempt? I'm in the air. I landed clean. Sure I forgot all about the indy grab I had been visualizing and instead just flapped my wings, but c'mon that's got to rate higher than an attempt. At any rate bcr should be proud that my first little jump was in the backcountry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:00 pm 

Proud fo sho SF! Worthy of a re-post too! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next