Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video cameras?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 am 

I have seen some really cool videos taken by many in the TR forum. I have a handheld digital camera the size of a deck of cards and it takes some vid. So I'm riding, arm extended vid recording and waiting to become a yard sale tubmling ass over tea kettle. I know some of you have helmet cams or small ones that can mount to pack straps, around your lower legs or something like that. What kind of small cameras would you guys recommend...focused on decent quality but as inexpensive as possible? Smaller and lighter would also be better than large. I would like to get one to chronicle my travels, both through splitboarding and other activities so that I can share them here, with friends and family. Thanks for your input and advice.

I have found an Oregon Scientific called ATC2K or ATC-2000 which has 32mb internal and 2GB SD card for about $115 and it looks useful, simple to put on the helmet with a band. Has anyone used such a device, and is it worth the money or not. I would rather have something with its own memory inside vice connecting to another device that I have to carry and attach cables to while skinning and riding.

(do video cameras interfere with transcievers like GPS, radios and clothing magnets? I don't plan on being buried, and would like some electronic data of trips and video footage, but will have to decide if those toys reduce my risk of successfully being dug up if buried. If I'm digging you up I can turn off all my extra stuff, but if I'm the one in the shifted snow cement...well, dig my ass out)

Thanks again.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:20 pm 

Hands down the coolest and best video camera I've seen for action sports... the GoPro digtal cam. www.goprocamera.com

The video quality is amazing and it has high quality construction for such a tiny cam, plus it comes equiped with a waterproof/shockproof housing. I have the wrist model (Hero3) on order. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:52 pm 

mumbles,

are you looking for a helmet cam, hand held, or a hand held you can use with a H/C? i have a pretty badass H/C setup, but i never bring it, because i only bother when i think i am going to do something gnarly which i dont really ever do, so there in lies the duality of H/C ownership. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:51 pm 

Thanks Yoda, I will check out the gopro.

Jack, I'm thinking a simple helmet cam, like the Oregon Scientific ATC 2000 which can have up to 2GB data storage and no wires to other required units like a camcorder. That way I don't have more stuff to carry. I'm sure I will sacrifice some video quality, but it is just for reliving good lines for me, not really for any type of real production. I leave that kind of riding to hardcore young studs like you. I'm told that you really rip and fly off some pretty gnarly stuff.

I'm really open to any ideas. Maybe just a decent mount for my hand held digital camera that can take video, I just need something other than my arm holding the thing as I'm riding. Riding with my arm extended capturing video must make me loose all kinds of style points on form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:41 pm 

hey mumbles, i will try to get some pictures and explain what i have. did you end up getting one yet?

here is a thread i started about it when i was researching.

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2135&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:18 pm 

Jack, thanks for the link, more good reading to ponder. I have not decided yet, but I am thinking most simplistic is my best starting point. Something with minimal weight, parts, wires, etc. I guess that keeps me leaning like the fully enclosed oregon scientific models. Internal memory with no wires. Not sure if there is a easy record/stop switch or a handheld remote, but that is another thing to consider. Like others have said, no sense having to get into our out of the pack to turn on a camcorder. I do have a camcorder, but I'd rather not carry something that large in my pack unless totally necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm 

I considered getting that Tony Hawk cam and some other integrated helmet cam thing from Samsung (i think) when i was looking around. I decided a "real" setup with a mini-DV camcorder would be best. The solid state waterproof recorders that actually have a good amount of storage are really expensive.

so it turns out all of the little black "lipstick" style cameras sold by Viosport, Chasecam, helmetcam.com etc. are all the exact same Sony unit. I just tried to find the best price i could from all of those resellers when i got mine.

when i bought my camcorder, it was specifically for the H/C. I found the smallest DV camera i could that was still decent quality. It is the Canon Optura S1. I dont think they make that one any more.

here are some random thoughts...

-not having the LANC really sucks, as was pointed out to me in my thread. When i was shopping though, only Sony made camcorders with LANC and none of the Sony camcorders had what i wanted.

-since you are going to have this thing for a really long time, get 520 lines of rez. i have 480, wish i got the other 40.

-being able to see your shot on a camcorders little screen is really important. if you cant, you will probably end up having it aimed at the sky or have a tilted horizon or something. this is a big reason to use a camcorder in my opinion. getting the thing aimed perfect is critical. i have mtn biking footage of my dog, and it is really annoying to watch because there is no horizon in the shot.

-mikes are good. i always use mine.

-the H/C will come with a standard angle lens. get the widest angle one they make. its hella rad.

here is the Lipstick cam, lith-ion battery (for the lipstick unit) and the box i keep the camcorder in. although the camcorder only takes up half the box, the rest is packed full of the battery and wires. it makes a nice unit that cam be banged around in a pack. sharpie is for scale.

here is the H/C. right now i have the fish eye in it--definitely worth getting.

camcorder and H/C

here are your battery options: a bunch of AAs in a hokey thing, or a lithium ion specifically for H/Cs. the AAs last a really long time, but they are kind of silly and you cant tell when they are going dead. the Viosport Li-ion is rad and has a power meter and cane be bolted to stuff (hence the slot in the middle). the third wire in the picture is a thing for a 9 volt. that basically doesnt work. the battery lasts for literally 5 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:29 pm 

If you want better video quality, don't already have a camcorder, want simplicity and durability, (and oh yeah have some extra cash to burn) check out the VIO POV.1. The downside is it's way expensive compared to the other models listed so far (except maybe the analog camera + camcorder + batter + lanc setup). But it has a lot of advantages:

- Better video quality than the all-in-one units.
- Single cable connecting the lens to the recording unit.
- Bomber construction, waterproof.
- Recording unit has LCD so you can easily position the camera.
- All solid state, no moving parts.
- Wireless remote.

It's not perfect though. I'm still not completely sold on the video quality compared to my old analog setup like Jack's. I think they could do with a bit less compression even in the highest quality settings. But compared to those all-in-one cameras, no contest. Oh, except, having said that, the video mode on a lot of digital camers is actually really good now and compares favorably. The drawbacks there are larger file size, figuring out how to mount that to your helmet, and the biggie - if you eat it you likely just toasted your camera.

The lens seems like it would be better with a little wider angle. Supposedly they will be coming out with different lens options for the POV.1 soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:14 pm 

Jack / Jim / anyone...

helmet cam question. I'm looking for a video cam that will be used 60% filiming family, munchkins, etc. 40% or as helmet cam. Do you guys do hand held filming with your cameras? How do they work in that mode - just the same as any other digi-video cam?

Jack -
did you buy the lithium battery pack as an accessory? Also, you mention getting the fish eye lens - that is the 2.6 listed on the helmetcamera website not the lens that comes with right? Are there any other can't do without accessories?

thanks, LAYC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:44 pm 

do you mean like hand filming with a miniDV camcorder than you can use with your H-cam, or actual hand filming with the H-cam? i have never filmed with the bullet cam off-helmet because a camcorder will give you better resolution, so no need for the H-cam.

yeah, i got the lithium battery as an accsessory. usually they only come with the AA battery holder thing.

the 2.6mm lens is the widest angle one i could find, and it is hella rad, but it does make things a bit tiny, so the normal angle is still useful.

i dont think i will replace the h-cam if the unlikely happens and i get some insurance money for all my stolen stuff. i just never used it that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:49 am 

Mumbles, not sure if you've gotten anything yet, but I thought I would post a few vids. I have both the ATC2k and a nice viosport setup much like what Jack posted above except I have a 2.9mm lens.

ATC2k Footage
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5689832926

Viosport Adv Cam3 with Canon Elura100 Footage
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7459773438

While that gopro cam looks odd I think you are going to get the best bang for the buck out of that thing. I really was not very happy with the quality of the ATC2k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 pm 

Cranman, i ended up with the ATC2K. My first effort with it was not properly angled on my melon bucked and I need some video editing software so I can pare down the long clips into a better short version for posting in TR's and keeping archives of trips. Thanks for the links...any recommendations on viddy editing software that is easily accessible, easy to use and cheap to free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:31 pm 

windows movie maker. works well enough and you should already have it.