Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 am 

The tails of a swallowtail are not that fragile, I've got a few (7 or 8) and have never broken a tail. I rode my Prior Pow Stick over 60 days last year (I broke my foot and it was the softest board I have) and didn't have any trouble until I broke the nose in heavy wet snow. I've thought about cutting the tail on my homebuilt Voile' board, but haven't done it yet, I also bought another swallowtail to cut last year but it was too much fun to ride so I didn't. The best crud board I have is my 168 O-Sin 4807, not the best on ice (horrible) but it works and will get you back to more suitable terrain.

Post subject: more splitboard stuff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:44 pm 

Refried...yikes...San Juan Island! Do you go over to Mt. Constitution on Orcas when they get a big dump..Just kidding...
I was carrying on with Mumbles about the north Olys and how good the bc could be there but the access is terrible..I looked real hard at San Juan Island but ended up buying property above Sequim on Lost Mountain Rd.
At any rate...it is interesting to hear another swallowtail rider weigh in on the subject...
Here's an interesting note with regard to swallowtails; a couple of seasons ago I was in Whistler and talked with Chris Prior..his comment about swallowtails was "that's my go-to board" just thought I'd toss that in to the discussion. 'Course that's probably changed with new designs coming out of Prior but it does establish the swallowtail as a good all around board. For myself. I've never been in conditions with my split swallow that I felt like the board wasn't up to it....
I gotta get myself out of California and established in WA...anyone got a job for me? ha ha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:10 am 

I'm on Lopez, a lot slower than the big city of Friday Harbor. If it was easier to get to Orcas I would try it once but we never get enough snow for good coverage to make it worth it. I do ride the small hill I live on when it snows here just for the hell of it.
The Olympics do look nice but there is so little access it's not possible to ride.
I have a job available but I don't think you want to pump gas for minimum wage.
I really liked my Pow Stick I tried to ride it once this season because there's no visible damage other than some slight delamination on one edge but the nose had no strength, I'd replace it with another but I haven't found one cheap enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:53 pm 

Refried, have you taken out the Nitro 188 I sold ya? Just curious how it rode. I've got a 181 Nitro Sabre this season (used) but have yet to take it out. The 192 Tanker has been my go to board inbounds so far. Still have a love for the swallowtails, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:21 am 

I've only had it out one day so far but it's a fun board, I only made a couple runs on empty groomed trails but I can tell it's a fast board, I wish there were some longer trails at Baker. It's about the heaviest Board I have and seems to have a mind of it's own until up to speed then watch out, It just keeps building speed and digging bigger trenches. After the first run I didn't notice the weight until I was back on the lift with it hanging from one foot. I should be there for the Mini session at Baker and will bring some extra boards if anyone wants to try something.
THanks again for the board.

Post subject: Swallowtail
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm 

Refried,
If you are on Lopez, do you know a guy by the name of Roland McNichol?
Also, thanks for the nod about pumping gas...I'm not there yet though..but the comment was appreciated.