Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am 

Mumbles wrote:
From my cycling experience with variations of such rub induced rash...shave them ghastly white lower legs. Then you can apply a very thin layer of bacitracin or other such product. Then you can cover the areas with a "second skin" layer such as Tegaderm which is a clear adhesive plastic like sheet that goes on like a large bandaid. Doing this and maybe adding a liner type sock as a second friction bearing layer could make any rub you get from the tongue minimized during the healing process. If you keep ripping off the scabs they will take longer to heal and with the hair (which collects sweat and dirt) you run the risk of making them worse.

That's my plan. Shaving commences tonight, hope I have self control enough to stop at my shins, I can see me ending up like a waxed gorrilla. :oops:

Mumbles wrote:
Just shave them, no one is looking and you don't have to try on your girl's high heel pumps...it will do the healing process good.

Too late, I already tried on the pumps. They make my ass look great. :P

Good news is it's been dumping here, and I'll most likely be riding chairs this weekend anyway. Riding doesn't seem to cause problems, it's the skinning that skins my shins.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:31 pm 

kjkrow wrote:
Did any of you guys heat mold the Driver liners?

Yep, and mine are/were new this season. It made them much more comfy in the toe-box area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:25 pm 

I put my G-fit liners from my Garmont AT boots into my Drivers. Whoa what a difference. Perfect, partially because they are molded to my feet, and mostly because they don't have all the yellow plastic stuff that chafes the heel like the Burton liners and the tounge is way bigger on the G-fits and wraps further around my legs. The tounge on the Burton liners was what ripped me up. Now I can run the Drivers tighter and more comfortably.

I really like this boot now, combined with the Sparks this is my go to set up for the soft snow we've been having. I'll probably switch back to my AT boot set-up when things firm up a bit and for longer tours though. The hard boots still tour, ski and traverse better on hard snow for me, but when those are not issues, like now, the Driver/Spark combo rules!

UB

Post subject: Overnight Driver Exp?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am 

A question about Driver Warmth....One reason I went with the Drivers is B/C you can yank the liner out. My old "F" boot liner was stitched in which made drying a pita.

Does anyone out there wear only the liner on overnight trips in the tent, with or without down booties? I assume I can sleep in them and they should dry out pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:41 pm 

I have no real experience with the boot liners worn for snowboarding, but my input is on the drying of liners on multiple day winter backpacking/mountaineering trips. I have worn my liners, but generally don't sleep in them. I have placed mine into my sleeping bag and worn extra wool socks or other booties, but in my opinion the rate at which the liner will dry will be increased if your foot is not still inside them. I'm sure that they would dry, but with more surface area exposed (inside and out) I believe the rate of drying would be faster. If you find them still damp the next morning then you could try the off the foot method. I have known guys to have their PMB's with extra liners so they never wear the same liner twice in a row. Although bulky, this does not add a ton of weight.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:48 am 

^ agreed,
i have had the best luck with my liners in my down jacket. I stuff everything in there and start the drying program right when i get back to camp. Occasionally open the zipper to let out moisture. I have warn my liners inside down booties but that does not work to well. I try to avoid putting stuff in my sleeping bag unless it is very cold out.

You get a system down and things can dry out very fast. I can keep my stuff dry for weeks in the back country (until it starts raining)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 am 

If the liners are getting so wet then the added discomfort of wearing a vapor barrier shouldn't be that much of a difference. That would definitely keep them dry, but can get nasty inside the liner. It's very easy to wear a small (office/kitchen sized) garbage bag over wool socks (it stinks less if it's wool).

I think a porous liner would be make a difference, too. I know my mountaineering boots have a porous liner, to help breathability. The longest i've done is two weeks in them, the better part of the last week was spent in the liners 24/7, and haven't had either a wetness or a smell problem. Significant parts of that trip involved hiking in warmer weather too, well above freezing in the day. Despite that the liners didn't freeze at night when I took them off (well, they did, but the moisture of the liner was low enough ;-)). I even slipped while hopping a stream, and the calf area of one of the boots got completely wet inside. It dried within several hours of hiking.

Anyway, my point is that it seems to me that snowboard boot liners aren't really designed for a real workout.

Post subject: DRIVER X molded?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm 

Just got them a few days ago. Looking forward to break in asap. Has anyone got Driver molded? And the outcome?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:38 pm 

Yes and it helped.

Post subject: 6th toes are badly hurt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 pm 

I've got wide flat feet and after a couple of runs the 6th toes were badly hurt like no other. I did get them molded but not much help and decided to expand the shell to see what happens. Sure, painful break in period just started.

Post subject: Re: 6th toes are badly hurt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:32 am 

AK4LIFE wrote:
I've got wide flat feet and after a couple of runs the 6th toes were badly hurt like no other. I did get them molded but not much help and decided to expand the shell to see what happens. Sure, painful break in period just started.

The Burton "thermo" liners are complete crap compared to a real "thermo" liner from Garmont and Scarpa/Intuition. If you can, compare the materials used between a Scarpa/Intuition/G-fit and the Burton liners and you'll notice a large difference. My advice is ditch the Burton liners. I have last years drivers and the liners had this yellow plastic crap that stops right at the top of the heel, that was causing blisters right at that seam, and the crappy narrow tounge tore me up. I am so much happier with my boots now that I put my formed Garmont G-fit liners in my Drivers.

My $0.02

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:47 pm 

I have been having problems with my drivers and I just stumbled on this thread. First of all, I lace every part of my as tight as possible, but thats how I roll. Second, my foot seemed to be too wide for them because the outside of the widest part of my foot started to hurt like a bastard after a month of riding 5 days a week. I resorted to cutting out holes in the liners. So far it has worked pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:29 am 

I thought my feet were too wide for the tele boots I bought, but I took them back to the boot fitter, and the fixed me up. They used their doohickey to show me how my foot was too flat on the normal footbed and my knee was leaning inwards. putting an aftermarket footbed with a higher arch straightened my knee, but more important, made me happy all day in boots I couldn't stay in more than 3-4 hours before.

Shep