Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: burton, series s splitboard
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:26 pm 

This will be my first splitboard. I'd like to use it for day and multi-day yurt trips.

I see MountainGear has a sale on the Burton S Series:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... /N/0#specs

Comments about it, anyone?

Thanks,

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:48 pm 

hi jack,

can you please log out, log back in, and try to repost this (your username isnt showing)?

Thanks!

ps. This gen of the burton splitboards make great boards for all conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:02 pm 

I just got mine yesterday gonna try it out tommorow. Always have rode voiles and a prior. It is a great looking board Im sure it be solid. I usually only notice very subtle differences in the different boards I ride so I think I'll like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 pm 

I'm maybe getting a 162. Anyone else ride one of these? If so, how tall are ya and what's your weight? Oh yeah, are you happy with this board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:29 pm 

My riding partner has a 162 burton split from last year with the voile kit and he performs great on it and likes the ride.

I have an older 165 that I got used that still has the burton interface. I like the burton interface, but overall it makes the setup pretty heavy. I also just got a mojo 171 for a little more board when I'm in deeper stuff and maybe to bear the load of my size and heavy pack.

I"m new to splitting, but not to boarding. I've ridden a lot of conditions on a lot of boards over the past 20 years. My splits ride very similarly in powder and despite being heavier than my solid setups ride well inbounds too. I have not yet ridden the splitters on crappy inbounds ice and groomers, but for what i have ridden i'm pleased at the ease of access over snowshoes and great ride quality.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:25 am 

Thnx Mumbles! The splitty will be for bc powder riding only, already have the resort and big gun boards covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 am 

So I put my new Burton S-Series 162 (with voile binding/skin kit) together friday night and took it up for a maiden voyage Saturday to Arapahoe Lakes here on the Front Range. The assembly wasn't too hard, but a little filing for the pin-hole on the toe pivot was required. I've been on a board for almost 10 years now, and having to use ski muscles to skin up was a bit different, I definitely felt a bit uncoordinated after using snow shoes for so long. I'm thinking that re-aligning the bindings/plates will help some, but mostly I've got some skinning technique to learn (and definitely some muscles need some new conditioning). The good part is I was able to convert the board from split to riding fairly fast, with gloves on. I am faster switching snowshoes to board though since there's no skins or small parts to deal with.

Now for the ride. First of all, I mounted the pucks/bindings a little far towards the tail for extra float (my two powder boards are a 163 Burton Omen and 165 Never Summer T5). The snow conditions were about 4-6" of soft fresh on wind slab ATL, and 1 foot of fresh BTL. In the thinner snow, it felt quite flexy compared to my other boards, but once in decent pow it felt mostly like a soft powder board. I think once I move the pucks/bindings a forward it may handle and turn a little better.

That's all for now. I'll get some pics up in the next feew days, and some follow-up reviews after I get some more time on it.

Cheers!

Post subject: Burton S Series 168
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 pm 

Do you think the Burton is the best split board to ride if your holding down a size 12 boot or bigger? Based on what I've read so far, there don't seem to be any one split board that's really wide enough to hold a big boot. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 pm 

Venture makes several models in different widths, including wide widths. I checked out the Divide 165 medium width, and it was significantly wider than a Burton 162.

Post subject: Re: Burton S Series 168
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 pm 

Board Pimp wrote:
Do you think the Burton is the best split board to ride if your holding down a size 12 boot or bigger? Based on what I've read so far, there don't seem to be any one split board that's really wide enough to hold a big boot. Thoughts?

I haven't really heard folks complain about toe drag on splits, prolly cause your feet are so far off the board they just don't drag unless there very very big. I wear size 12 and haven't had a problem with the Burton, Mtn. Gun, or Mojo.