Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.20.2008 Eastern Sierra - Hogback
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 pm 

Hogback, Eastern Sierra, CA. 01.20.2008

This area is right smack between two special Sierra peaks, Whitney and Williamson. This was sort of a random impulsive last minute decision to go check out this area. I hiked around here once in the summer and had no idea what to expect in the winter. It is just below Tunnabora peak.

After the long day I had on sat I slept in on Sunday. I ambitiously set the alarm for 4:30 but didnt get up till almost 7. So with the late start again I didnt summit this place and ended up getting back well after dark, but with the big moon it was a nice hike out under the night sky.

I have some maps of the area but I still havnt been able to figure out exactly where I was and where tunnabora peak is. I think the drainage to the right there leads to the peak but i didnt go that way, next time....

this was the chosen route. the northeast facing treed sections down low were holding some good powder.

skintrack on the hogback. some tight tree lines here.

looking back on the hogback. alabama hills and the inyo mtns in the background.

finally it opens up to a nice wide gully. some major avy debris lining most of the bottom of this route, but some good snow lurked on both sides.

some amazing clouds started forming over the sierra crest, and eventually it got stormy. it was very windy. i climbed this for about another hour and then had to turn around due to the late hour. i rode almost all the way back to the truck. again it wasnt the best snow up high but down low lots of good unspoiled powder lurked in the trees.

overall it was another epic weekend in the south sierra with over 10000 ft of climbing and maybe 8k or so of riding. really variable snow conditions but im not complaining. was able to skin right from the truck at both spots, which is not the norm in this area.

3 days and counting till next weekend :D

Post subject: Re: 1.20.2008 Eastern Sierra - Hogback
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 pm 

fullers2oh wrote:

omg, that looks awesome.
thank you for the stoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:57 am 

Good stuff Dave! Hopefully we'll get to meet up soon. although you're early starts are a little ambitious :shock:

nice pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:32 pm 

Dave,
^^^^^^^Your a wanted man by oh so many! looks like Im headin to the land 'o' mo's this weekend try hookin up w/ you later thanks for the open invite!
Bryan