Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2007/2008 Voile Mojo 161
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:54 am 

Only one day on the Voile Mojo 161 but so far I'm really stoked on the ride.

Its got a great shape but I would like to see the tip height just a smidgen higher. The cap was noticed in weigh savings and not in performance of ride. Durability will be determined over the course of the season but on its maiden voyage the conditions were anything but deep. A few rocks were hit and the board fared fine.

Some pics.

Post subject: Mojo review
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:55 pm 

bcrider, do you mean that the cap construction was noticable for weight savings for skinning but there was or was not a noticable difference in the ride? Now that I have split my own and purchased an older burton split I will be keeping my eye on the new board reviews. At 210# I need to make sure that if the cap construction sidewall on the Mojo is not up for abuse that I consider other options. I will be interested most in durability over weight savings...weight savings must start with the vertical structure attached to the board (me).

Thanks

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm 

Mumbles, I have 25 lbs. on you and ride hard nearly everyday. The cap is bomber :!: The ride is awesome for all conditions. I have over 100 days on the Mojo I got last season and have been out about 12 days so far on the prototype Mojo I have this season. Still looks like I just pulled it from the box. It is super light on the uptrack. I have noticed a decrease in lap times when Yo-Yoing in comparison to last winter. I average more laps, more often as well. Having to break trail more often this season also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm 

split.therapy, thanks for the update report. I bought the used burton to have a "real" splitboard made with edges all around. I've only skinned with it thus far, but hope to get out and ride it this week. My home split burton rides nice, but it is an older board that has had several hard seasons of riding in resorts. I have been eyeing the mojos at a few local shops. I know they won't come down (much) in price, but sure think I might drop some cash on one sometime in the future. Maybe all my Christmas cash since no one buys me anything...they figure I buy myself all the stuff I want so giving cash is a more enjoyable end result for me. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:13 am 

Well Mumbles, I think you deserve to get yourself a good ride then. Happy turns make a happy dad, right? The Mojo is probably the best bang for the buck. Custom splits are over a grand. I think made to be a split, is the best way to go. I really like the smoothness it provides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:55 am 

Mumbles wrote:
I have been eyeing the mojos at a few local shops. I know they won't come down (much) in price, but sure think I might drop some cash on one sometime in the future.

the voile splits usually go on sale late in the year.

bentgate. rei...others usually put them on sale....i'm going to ride my voile freeride 66 out this year...and then see what kind of deals are out there late in the season.

i'd like a better 'all around conditions' split...my freeride is just toooooo soft.

thanks for the update on the mojo everyone.

i bought my wife this mojo this year:

figure i need the mojo splitboard model.

Post subject: Re: Mojo review
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
bcrider, do you mean that the cap construction was noticable for weight savings for skinning but there was or was not a noticable difference in the ride? (me).

I was just trying to say that there was no noticeable difference in the edge-hold, flex, or how it rode due the cap construction. Granted, the conditions were mostly powder and we only took 2 runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:23 am 

Some more pics of ridding the Mojo 161.

bcrider takes a sample.

bcrider tries for a method and comes up melancholy.

Still enjoying the ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 am 

After demoing the mojo last year at scrubfest and a few days on my new mojo this year I am really impressed. I stepped down to the 166 for a more all around board and I love it. Holds speed, edge, and is oh so fun to ride. I don't worry about durability with Voile as all of my boards from them have delt with my abuse perfectly well. Bomber product and a board well dialed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 pm 

Awesome pics BCR, you should send a few to DG.

The guys asked me one day if I could have any graphic what would it be? I thought they were kidding, so I jokingly answered them. The next day I had an email with my custom prototype graphic awaiting my approval. After a few minor tweaks the top sheet was printed, and the next thing I know, they're handing me my own custom 61 Mojo :shock: I guess a bit of a thanks for helping with the designs. Here's a few photos with my new (at the time) Ignitions-

The heli-free Wasatch thing is an amusing phrase that polarizes people here quickly. I like the white top sheet, keeps the planks from heating/refreezing in the sun and shade. Even the base has some custom color dye cuts, they really hooked me up. Thanks Voile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:10 am 

karma surf wrote:

The heli-free Wasatch thing is an amusing phrase that polarizes people here quickly. ... Thanks Voile!
really dig that "heli-free" graphic! Way to yank some chains :D
gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:33 pm 

I tried a Mojo 66 for a few hours a couple weekends ago. Can't really give a very good review because there were so many variables - new board, new bindings, different stance, weird snow conditions... but I thought I'd at least comment FWIW.

The shape is almost identical to my Burton 165S, with about 1 edge's width of taper in the back compared to the Burton. Flex seemed similar. The ride felt a bit different though, but that could be attributed to the other variables mentioned.

Seemed like the nose could be just a tad higher. Breaking trail the uphill ski often got stuck under the crust. Downhill it didn't float as much as I'd expected it would, but that could be due to binding position.

The edges of the cap seemed kinda fragile. I got what seemed to me to be excessive wear from such a short tour, and SF's demo board had way more wear and actually delaminated at the tip (both boards were brand new). Speaking of this, I wonder why more split mfg's don't round the center of the tip/tail at the split, like Burton does. Seems like this would reduce potential for snagging that sharp point, and make that corner less susceptible to damage.

(Side note: can I just say... dialing in the Voile pucks for stance width/angle is a pain in the ass! :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 pm 

MOJO 171 just arrived. Set up was smooth and took only a few minutes. I found setting the stance and angles pretty simple and now run just about the same angles and width as on my Burton Custom split 165. I even placed on the skins and trimmed what must have been a whole 2-3 mm on the side cut edge of the board. I left the 130mm tractor skins the full length hopefully I can fabricate some sort of tail loop/strap as my previous voile skins seemed to adhere very poorly at the tail end.

I did note some slight slop as I rocked my forward (left) AT boot. The slop is actually with the slider and pucks. Is there any way to reduce this?

No ride time yet, maybe Friday, my schedule is clear. Anyone up for an easy tour for the fat kid on his new stick?