Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR:Cameron Pass, Coloradbro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:16 pm 

With a trip down south to visit friends and family, we had to get some riding in to boot. Conditions just get better. Skied the Diamond on Cameron Pass the day after Christmas. Was oh sooooo good and untracked.

The trip report holiday warm up.

My pride and joy on her birthday in Golden Dec. 23, 2007:

Santa brought skis and she loved em!:

My cousin Chris skinning up Diamond:

Looking at the burried slide debris from last week???

Standard sweet views on the ridge. Such amazing terrain:

Cameron reminds me much of Togwotee Pass with few people and great landscape. It is sick!

Self portrait on top of Diamond Peak. The MOJO's maiden voyage.:

Looking down our line to the parking lot. Was nice not taking the board off until the back of the pickup. Splitboarder's delight:

Sorry, not riding photos. I was concerned with the snowpack, but after watching three kids bootpack and traverse hard on the lower half of the face I felt better. The turns down were so smooth. What a fun ride!

Ran into the Thrillhead crew in the parking lot and was bummed we hadn't hooked up. I can see why these guys love this area so much. Great playground. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:39 pm 

Nice pics for sure. Nice running into you up there. Ellis was saying how big of a retard he is for not calling you before we went up. Then again, Ellis decided the morning before a tour is the time to change up his stance and add cants and stuff so we spent most of the morning at ACE hardware and didn't even get up to the pass until 12:30 or later. Even then we were sketched out by the snowpack enough to stick to the low angle trees, or GFP as Ellis calls it.

If you are headed to UT give me a shout, the Thrillhead boys may be able to come out as well and we'll have a little mini-split gathering. It's been deep in UT, I'm heading back tomorrow.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm 

Geesh, what kind of idiot are you up there riding those kinds of lines on a considerable avy day!? Look how close you were to that ridge! Did you think to dig a pit? Did you call the Avy Hotline? Did you study up on the interwebz and look at peoples old photos? Did you call Ellis and tell him to personally dig you a pit!? Did you? DID YOU? Fukin ridiculous.

:wink:

Nice pics, looks familiar. Wish we coulda been there to join ya and everybody but still stuck in the midwest or a "GFS" as Ellis would say. Cant wait to get back tomorrow! Did I hear somethin about Utah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm 

UB-Great to see you yesterday and I am bummed that we didn't get to ride together...ohhhh well, soon we will get er done. The snow felt good yesterday....not blower, but very good. Such a sweet area up there. Need to come back in the spring and ride some of the bigger lines. Hope we can hook up in Utah! Cheers bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:35 pm 

FLOWTORCH wrote:
Geesh, what kind of idiot are you up there riding those kinds of lines on a considerable avy day!? Did you think to dig a pit? Did you call the Avy Hotline? Did you study up on the interwebz and look at peoples old photos? Did you call Ellis and tell him to personally dig you a pit!? Did you? DID YOU? Fukin ridiculous.

:wink:

I guess you have read the powderbuzz forum already. Damn...those guys are harsh on that site. I guess craziness happens when the redneck comes to town. Felt good to me, so I dropped it. I had a homemade beeper made out of a stud finder, my daughters garden trowel for a shovel, and some bamboo cane for a probe. Better than a condom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:53 pm 

:lol:

looks like a good day. cute little girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 pm 

Quote:
I had a homemade beeper made out of a stud finder, my daughters garden trowel for a shovel, and some bamboo cane for a probe. Better than a condom.

Lolz

Meh, what do you expect from a Backcountry site in ColoRadBro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 pm 

Sweet pics dude! Looks killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:03 pm 

Quote:
My pride and joy on her birthday in Golden Dec. 23, 2007:

& Teaching her the alphabet already too - what a good Pappy!

Hey - since snow seems to be wherever you are can you come up here to C. MT? We got didly so far this year

Great stuff WSR! As always!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 pm 

HAHA, I just read through the powderbuzz TR on this.

I have to admit, when Ellis and I saw you guys up on the ridge we were a bit freaked. Originally we could only see one of you and thought someone was skiing it solo. Ellis high tailed it up the skin track to get to a position to where if bad things happened he could decide to move in for help or not, and I just milked the skin track and watched you guys work your way down. Judging by the amount of time you spent on the ridge and watching you guys poke around up there and ride it one at a time and from safe zone to safe zone we felt better. But we didn't know it was you until the parking lot and there were a few "WTF are they thinking" moments as we watched. Once we got down and saw it was you guys we felt better about it, as we were pretty sure you didn't just blindly ski that shot. We talked to you about it and your thoughts prior to skiing it. In hindsight we even felt we probably could have skied more aggressive lines than we did, although dropping that line that day wasn't even on our radar and I'm glad we played it safe. There are many more turns to make this season and seasons to come.

Bottom line, it was a pretty bold line in those conditions. But my opinion was you guys took it about as carefully as possible because there was still a significant risk associated with skiing that shot. We were definitely sketched watching from the bench though. Super glad it worked out for you guys, also a bit jealous. 8)

My $0.02.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:33 pm 

:shock: Man has She Grow! :D

Nice way to spend the Holidays. Tell us more about the new Mojo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:07 pm 

Unruly Baker-I wasn't too worried about myself, but my cousin flailed hard down the whole line when I thought he would ski better. I told him to try not to fall or spend too much time on the slope. He did the opposite. I was pretty fucking nervous at that point. If that slope was going to fracture, it would have been when he fell every two turns, but then he straightlined the little exit chute out of the bottom and redeemed himself. Looking back, I probably would have taken a safer line for his sake, but he is a grown man and was committed even after giving him the option to ski back down the ridge. Was the line a little crazy to drop? Yes considerable. I agree with everything you said and value your two cents. I felt like we had a yellow light, and didn't run the red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:09 pm 

Its weird seein TR's from someone else in our stompin grounds. Hope ya enjoyed it. Wish we could've made it. It woulda been fun to ride with UB again,and Wysplit. We're still in Illinois...but finally leavin this hole tmrw morning. I need to get back home to the mountains. I hate the midwest in winter.