Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eastside sierra awakenings - 12-23-07
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:47 pm 

Yay this is my 1st real TR....many many more to come!

Now that it is officially winter it seems like the eastside is starting to awaken. It is still pretty shallow out there though. We really need a couple more feet of good wet snow to fill things in.

We decided sunday to go check out convict lake/little morrison/old mans bowl. Another sierra splitter - Mike - joined me. I have been to old mans a couple times, it is a sierra classic. Easy access, high elevation start, and decent vertical (much more when there is better low snow). Overall it was a great day, nice and sunny, nobody out there, cold but not too cold, light winds, and best of all some decent powder!

the 1st thousand feet we were skinning thru the bush picking our way but once we got up a bit it opened up and there was enough snow....

Mike breaking trail up the lower gully. It seemed the wind really helped us out and deposited a lot of snow in there.

Once out of the approach gully the bowl comes into view. Looks like fun! This spot is somewhat popular and the other times I have been there it was pretty well tracked up. It was nice to get it fresh!

Looking back at Mike starting up the bowl.

Looking up the bowl. Nice fresh powder awaits. It was a fairly easy skin straight up. This time of year one half of the bowl sits in the shade all day.

We decided to spread out a little bit from here on out. I stopped at 10k ft and dug a pit. Not much to see this early in the year but at least there was enough coverage to dig. It was good practice :)

Little Morrison summit. It gets a little steeper over there and some nice lines drop from the summit. It needed some more snow though.

Mike skinning with the summit of big Morrison (the real one) peaking at us over the ridge.

Looking north that is Mt Wood clearly visible in the center. Accessible from the June lake loop rd. That is another classic eastside descent, definitely at the top of my list. It is a monster! I think it may need a bit more snow there though.

Mike enjoying the ride, entering the bowl.

Mike down farther...

Me - one happy splitter! 1st real BC powder turns of the year.

Mike exiting the bowl. Notice how it is almost all in shade again now? Winter sun goes quick in this area.

Mike sprays the skin track.

Watched the moon pop up over the Inyo mtns after a typical amazing sierra sunset. To all a good night! Happy holidays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:19 pm 

Looks like a fun day. Really nice scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:06 pm 

Nice TR. I miss that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:47 pm 

Looking nice out there Dave. How far of a drive from Toms Place ? Was the access easy or a slog?

And would you say this is one of the lines avalible for the westcoast split party?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:04 pm 

Coolio Dave & Thxs for posting .

Seems like nice day. 2 bad I was back in LA

More turns than Sat :-)

Grtx MD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:36 am 

yeah dutch too bad you went back, sorry we should have done this one sat. oh well!

tex its only about 15 min from tom's place, if that. we slogged a bit (1000ft) to get to good snow. at least we skinned the whole time though. its still early season snowpack so the bottom 1000ft wasnt filled in yet. usually this one is one of those drive up, skin right from the car, no approach. also usually you can ride right back to the car. there are some other options in the neighborhood as well. after all the approach for red slate begins there (now thats a slog!) the mendenhall on laurel...and some other lesser known chutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:42 pm 

Thanks! Looks like great terrain. Mt. Wood made me salivate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:30 pm 

Sweet TR fullers! I originally checked it from the line for California Screaming at Disneyland via my iphone. It was a great stoke! 8)