Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beacons
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:00 pm 

Whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to beacons. Seems like you can't get one for under $200....

I have looked at some of the review sites out there, and there is some nice stuff out there these days, but it's $$$$, and well, my money tree has yet to produce any type of real harvestable crops yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am 

I like the BCA Tracker what ever the cost. Can't put a price on a life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 pm 

split.therapy wrote:
Can't put a price on a life.

This is true, but let me tell you this: My wife would kill me if she found out that I spent $450 on a device I hope I will never need to use...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:07 pm 

i ordered a avy package from mammoth earlier this month...or maybe late november.

anyway...they already had 16% off most everything at that time..

as i added beacon(bca tracker)/shovel/probe to my basket....guess i got an additional package discount...

think i got her set up for $278 when it was all said and done. no tax (outside cali) and free shipping. which is less than retail for the tracker.

that's a tough pricepoint to beat, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:47 am 

BCA Tracker is the most simple unit, makes fast work out of getting close in. Some of the others have some advantages for the frequent user, but for the occaisional backcountry traveler it is the best in my mind. Big money to me is the avy bag backpacks! $8-900 bucks for something I hope to never use is a lot, but if it puts you on top every time it might be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:40 pm 

Otto wrote:
split.therapy wrote:

This is true, but let me tell you this: My wife would kill me if she found out that I spent $450 on a device I hope I will never need to use...

Here's a quote from me from another thread in response to this way of thinking. No offense to you or your wife, but my statement makes a strong and factual point!

Quote:
I have to say it seems F*@%ed that BC riders are willing to pay $1000+ for BC toys, but when it comes to avy beacons its seems more of a burden to have to purchase one. Most usually look for the cheapest model they can buy. It should be a treat to pay for a device that makes the stress of a burial manageable and allow you to search with ease and efficiency.

If you feel saving a buck is more important than having a life-saving device that is more efficient and better designed, then you should refigure your decision process. If you can pay a little more and have a beacon that minimizes stress, is fast, and requires little practice, wouldn't you opt for that? I would any day! Think About It!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 pm 

Otto wrote:
split.therapy wrote:

That is reason number 1 why I am divorced. My girlfriend is my BC partner and she rips! :wink: My most recent former BC partner has your problem. That is why he is a former partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:58 pm 

The beacon seems like a double edged sword. Is it that you want to save money because you hope you don't ever need to dig out a BC partner? Is it that you want to save money because you hope you never need to be dug up by your BC partner?

I weighed both. My life is clearly most important to me and those who love me. Whomever I pair or group with in the BC are really my potential life line to get home, and me theirs. Both edges of that sword cut deeply.

I bought a Mammut Pulse because of its simplicity and the technology that might my life signs that will get me dug out first. You never know. No matter how safe you plan, study and plan again things can go wrong in a hurry.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 am 

Buying one of the cheaper beacons isn't negligent. Give me a freakin break. Because I don't bust out and buy the latest and greatest every year I'm sacrificing safety:?: Shit, most of the best avalanche professionals I know refuse to use digital beacons because they feel most comfortable using their 9 year old analog. The most important thing is to have a beacon and know how to use it.

Jeeez, my wife encourages me to buy bc safety equipment. Her only concern is that I come home safety--hense the encouragement to buy safety equipment. She knows I'm reluctant to spend money on my hobby.

Post subject: Best beacon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:07 am 

The best beacon is the one you can afford. I could not imagine going out with out one. As the name implies I go out alone almost all of the time. Realisticly it is more for body recovery and closure for my wife. I have even been wearing one for lift-served riding if it is deep. It seems especially prudent after 2 in-bounds deaths in the last week. BTW, I use a first gen. Tracker. It works great and is more affordable than some of the others. Could anyone explain why beacons are rated for signal pick-up distance rather than signal transmission distance. Wouldn't more people be intersted in how far away their own signal would be picked up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:43 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Buying one of the cheaper beacons isn't negligent. Give me a freakin break. Because I don't bust out and buy the latest and greatest every year I'm sacrificing safety:?: Shit, most of the best avalanche professionals I know refuse to use digital beacons because they feel most comfortable using their 9 year old analog.

It's not about the latest and greatest. It's about dependable,simple and efficient.
The avy pro's around here teach that the old analogs are best used for body recovery. I was taught that in order to save anyone with one of those you would need to practice everyday. I can practice or I can ride.
The Tracker continues to win in the simple,efficient, dependable catagory. Year after year. Almost all of the patrollers at JHMR use and swear by the Tracker. While we are not the avy prone Colorado Rockies, we have our share of avalanches. My friends are worth more than $400.00 to me. It's a small price to pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm 

Ecobrad and Solo,
I'm not saying for a moment that a beacon has to be the latest and greatest. Had I not sold my old ass Ortovox M1 or F1 when my oldest was born four years ago I likely would still be using it today. I'm also not saying anything about begin negligent if your beacon is inexpensive. I'm full on for good deals, and I got my Pulse for $330 which is a good price on a good beacon. A beacon is like a child's car safety seat. The best one is the one you use properly as a safeguard for the when and if it is ever needed. I will use my beacon and my best effort to find you or whomever I'm riding with and expect the same from those I'm with. Hell, I'm even looking into finding local avy classes because it has been years since my last class and since my last real BC time. Add that to living in a new area and I'm eager to do whatever, gear or training to make sure that all who go out together come back together.

Hell, I was riding inbounds today at Stevens and dug a solo boarder out of a tree well. He had no gear and most importantly he had no riding partner. I don't know why I choose to with my gear in my pack inbounds, but I think it was just to get used to having it on and around. Fortunatley he was upright and calm, but buried deeply enough that I needed to dig out his board and feet.

Sorry for my rant, but I wanted everyone know that I'm not calling anyone negligent for saving some money to get gear that will make them and their traveling companions safe.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:17 pm 

personally i feel that all beacons are basically the same, the only difference is the user. All that matters is practicing often and making sure you know the device inside and out. One thing to keep in mind is that some compatibility issues might arise between old analogs and the new digis.