Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Khyber Carbon 07 Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:13 pm 

Hi out there! Just getting aquainted with my new Khyber Carbon. Want to get some info out since there wasn't really much for me to go on. Still a little worried about the length and having enough float. 6'2" and 185.
Two things I am sure about. It is QUICK turning. The LIGHT weight helps in this. I am on voile mtn plates and (gasp) Dynafit zero 3 thermos. Never ridden hard boots, but I LIKE IT. I leave em real loose, and can really edge on firm, up or down. I figure I'm lighter by 4-5 pounds from my old Prior 173 with the clickers.
So uphill is MUCH easier, and downhill weight is much closer to my resort ride: Litigator 172. For trees, this is a good thing. Still have a tail shovel for the back-and-forth getting into hairball chutes.
I will give an update in a few weeks to let everybody know what I think. So far, it's great, but I may find that the tail may want to release and skid more than a board with more tail. If you desire "more tail" to power carve the pow at speed, this may not be your cup of tea. I'll be heading up to our high temple weather permitting in the next day or two to check it out at speed.

Post subject: khyber carbon 07 reviews
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 pm 

Got up to the high temple already. Speed test went great. We have decent stability, but was suspecting a pocket of soft slab in the entrance chute. My point is I had to point it and stay light up top, and was probably going 40-50 mph. Board was totally stable, with no discernable slippage on the back end. Maybe I am not overly picky, but it felt AWESOME! You know, kind of like your three favorite things rolled into one. Kind of like snowboarding a big POWDER filled mountain with no tracks on it.
So there you have it, already scrapped out on icy ski hill runout, no complaints there. Now if the interface could just emerge from the dark ages.....
Two thumbs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am 

Thanks for the review.

I had last year's Khyber (not carbon I guess), and yes it's a dream in the powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 am 

Seems like Prior stopped making (or at least advertising) their Carbon Khyber .... They don't have it on their Web Page anymore, and when you click on the Khyber to build, there's no CARBON option on the 165 anymore .... anyone have any inputs on this ?... too many problems with them or simply not enough sales to justify it ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm 

I sent Prior an email asking why the carbon Khyber was taken off their website. This is the reply:

"Note we are no longer offering the carbon splitties any longer - the price
of the carbon is too high - we are searching for a stronger, less expensive
source. We will need to test properly if we find the right material, so are
looking at another 12 months or so before we release anything carbon."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 pm 

Well there goes their claim to the lightest splits available. The Mojo stands uncontested! But their response is confusing. Is it too expensive to get people to pay for it, or is it not strong enough? Good carbon cloth shouldn't be that hard to find...

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 am 

Thanks mrash for posting the reply you got from Prior !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 am 

Its pretty disapointing actually, I was hoping for a carbon Khyber (or even a carbon version of the Spearhead) to replace my backcountry 161.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 am 

Yeah, it's disapointing for sure .... I was expecting some models using Carbon.

(Sent to prior on Oct-5th 2007)

Hey Guys,
Quick question... any plans on offering the Khyber SPLIT-160 or Spearhead SPLIT-166 with Carbon this year ?

Thanks !!!

REPLY :

Our plans are to do some R&D with carbon on other models over the course of the winter, but no guarantees that anything new will be released any time soon. I would check back in late January to see what's up.
Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 am 

This is antecdotal, but I did talk to a retailer that was kinda pissed off about having to stock the Carbon Khyber split in order to carry the rest of the prior splitboard line. She viewed it as risky having to stock such an expensive item. Maybe it's too expensive for retailers to carry it?