Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No exercise at Hurricane Ridge - too much storm damage
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:30 am 

The road report states that Hurricane Ridge will be closed all weekend due to the storm we got over the weekend through Monday. So much for my safe training outing tomorrow (today). Maybe I will just go to Crystal and ride. At the end of the riding day I could get another skinning outing up a lift level or two like at Baker last weekend.

Anyone riding tomorrow? I will likely bring my solid board and splitboard...or I could just go to work. That just sounds awful.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject: Hurricane Ridge???
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 pm 

Mumbles,
Have you really looked into the potential of the north side of the Olys?? I just bought a 5 acre parcel above Sequim on Lost Mountain (thinking about building in the next year) and I'm trying to hook up with anyone that has explored the bc south of Lost Mountain..it looks like it is going to take some sort of an approach trek to get to the snow but then again ... it may be worth it for fresh tracks...
Your thoughts?
Maunakea

Post subject: Northern approaches of the Olympics?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:11 pm 

Manuakea, honestly I'm not that familiar with the north approach of the Olympics, but I'm game to go. I normally backpack into the Olympics from the eastern side, but have on a couple of occasions hiked in through the Hoh out west into the toe of Olympus Glacier. Lost Mountain? Unsure, but worth exploring. Maybe you should think about when you want to go exploring and let me know. I will review some maps and charts and we coudl be in business. There are a few places to drop into from Hurricane Ridge and my Backcountry gear will soon be complete. I have a Mammut Pulse beacon en route and then I'm more able to go exploring for deep and steep.

Thanks for the great thought initiation, this area is pretty easy to get to for me, and much closer than Baker where I prefer to ride inbounds.

I'm also hoping to hook up with others that are familiar with the Baker, Stevens and even Crystal areas. Old, fat and out of shape guys like me should split and get fit rather than ride lifts.

Post subject: North side of the Olys
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 pm 

So....Mumbles...
Thanks for that reply...
Yeah it looks like the north side of the Olys is mostly unexplored. Something to look ahead to...right now I'm trapped in Cal. and planning my escape...hence the land purchase above Sequim. Go west from the Bell Hill area across the Dungeness Valley and you get to Lost Mountain.
Have you been checking out the postings by Snoslut in trip reports...Those guys seem to have Baker and Crystal mapped out and fully wired...
Pray for more snow and waves....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:03 am 

Quote:
Have you been checking out the postings by Snoslut in trip reports...Those guys seem to have Baker and Crystal mapped out and fully wired...

Don't forget Stevens and North Cascades too!

Right now conditions are dicey. There might be a window on Friday. Otherwise I can always brush up on my lift poaching skills.

Post subject: No issues with the Cascades
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:46 pm 

Snoslut, we have not met yet, but I was glad to read you post a week or two ago when everyone was concerned that you were one of the missing. I live on teh Kitsap Pen, so I was only heading West due to easier access, shorter drive times and my inexperience on a split to get into shape on Hurricane Ridge. I love solid board riding Stevens and Baker and I'm really excited to split tour the Baker, Stevens, Crystal areas. I just split my own board a while back and just bought a used burton custom split. My beacon should be here in two days and I will be equipped to venture off the beaten path safely. So when are you breaking me in? I should be able to play hookie on a couple of days notice. With all this moisture the snow reports are getting heavy. That limits some of the areas due to some heavy accumulations making potentially tough conditions for avalanches, but there still should be some safe turns to be had. I have spent so much time in the Olympic hiking trails that I'm very comfortable there, much in the Cascades is new to me if it is outside the ropes. I have a lot of topo study to do to get as familiar with all the nooks and crannies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:15 am 

Mumbles I have this Friday off. Good chance of weather window early on. Thinking about taking off Thursday too but then there's always next week. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday? Which ever day there is a weather window. If your down with my flex schedule, drop me a line.

Btw I have an extra beacon laying around somewhere.

Then I'm heading to Idaho from Thursday thru Tuesday to hang with the girl. When I return the snowpack should be a bit more stable and deep enough everywhere.

Post subject: ridge road is opening this weekend
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:10 pm 

hey mumbles,
I spoke with a park ranger at the local avalanche intro course and he said the road would be opening this friday 12/21 to possibly stay open through the holidays. I guess there was a pretty crazy slide near the top so it is going to be down to one lane in spots. I'm in a similar situation as you as far as experience and this weekend will be my first on a split. Let me know if you want to hike around together. I also need a bc partner with a beacon, shovel and probe as the only other splitter up here doesn't carry anything. I've also gotten some tips on how to get to the good stuff up there, but I'm not quite ready for it fitness wise. I'd also be down for some beacon practice when mine shows up.
thanks,
mike

Post subject: Mike, lets hook up and train and learn safely
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:19 pm 

Mike,

I'm in. I live about 2 hours from PA near Kingston. My beacon should arrive tomorrow. I have a home made split with a burton custom spit on the way. I have bc hiking experience, low fitness level and a great interest. If they are opening friday (can we pin them down for sure) I could write myself off that day.

I'll watch this post and/or you can send me a personal message or e-mail.

I'm looking forward to getting out and safely starting the learning curve.

Ed
(Mumbles)

Post subject: Mike, lets hook up and train and learn safely
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:26 pm 

Mike,

I'm in. I live about 2 hours from PA near Kingston. My beacon should arrive tomorrow. I have a home made split with a burton custom spit on the way. I have bc hiking experience, low fitness level and a great interest. If they are opening friday (can we pin them down for sure) I could write myself off that day.

I'll watch this post and/or you can send me a personal message or e-mail.

I'm looking forward to getting out and safely starting the learning curve.

Ed
(Mumbles)

Post subject: Snoslut and Chronicles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:30 pm 

I believe I"m a go for Friday so long as we are not meeting at dawn. My Mammut Pulse arrived today and really looks intuitive, I'm glad it is not ridiculously complicated. I'm up for a trip to Hurricane Ridge or down to Crystal to explore. Chronicles lives in Port Angeles, so if the HR road is open that is close, easy to get to and I have hiked that area a lot so it is very familiar to me. If HR is not open and Snoslut is still going out in the Crystal area I could meet down there and get schooled. I'm still a newbie on the splitter, finding my way into the bc after a long absence. I'm glad I'm not stuck snowshoe hiking in any more. Who is mapping the game plan, or if I have options let me know. I don't want to hold anyone back with my learning curve and low fitness level, but I want to get out and need a partner.

PM details, I'll reply.
Ed