Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 pm 

I'd suspect you could put the G12's on the drivers. I've got a pair of Grivel Air Tech lights (aluminum) and they fit on my Ions and old Drivers nicely.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 pm 

I love the Malamutes. I rode (and still do occasionally) hardboots. I wanted something stiff, responsive, comfortable, and reliable. I don't know anything about the drivers.

Love 'em so much that I just picked up a pair of '06 Mals for $50..new.

Post subject: Vote Please
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:02 pm 

I use The Driver X (Intuition liners) with the G12's they work great .

Post subject: 07 Drivers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:49 am 

I picked up a new pair of 07 Drivers in the middle of last season. I had previously rode out two sets of Burton SI boot and binding sets and would have done it again if they were still making them. I know I'm one of the few that liked this setup but I never had a single issue for four seasons , not on a split of course. Anyways, I thought I wanted a stiff boot so I fit and then ordered the DX's. They are stiff beyond belief. My first two or three runs were scary, crashed my way down the first dozen turns and was terrified to get into the trees because I couldn't hardly move. I thought I'd made a big mistake. After about a week I started to get the feel for these boots. They are absolutely bomber in the steeps and the crud. You feel like you could power through anything that stands in your way. I still don't have that easy going take it as she comes feeling in the tight trees, and riding switch is still a little awkward too but I've definately grown to dig these boots. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn and the lacing system kicks ass. So I would recommend the DX's with a strong caution that if you've only ever ridden soft boots they will likely blow you away with how stiff they actually are. I haven't tried the Mal's but a good friend has been riding them for three seasons and absolutley loves them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 am 

Got out in my new Driver X's yesterday.

Some initial thoughts: First (and worst): the liner rubbed the shit out of the front of my shin. Bad. Is this because they are new and not broken in? May just have to wear a tall sock. Second: They are ridiculously stiff. Is the adjustable liner really necessary with the already stiff upper? The liner string is a pain in the ass, I couldn't really get it tight, being way down in the boot.

Is the Intuition liner the answer? Yoda13, which Intuition liner do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm 

I've got two days on my new Driver X boots and love 'em. The first day took a little getting used to as they are super stiff. A few minor tweaks to my highbacks and they're great. I rode them in deep pow the other day and I could really power through everything. The steeper terrain feels bombproof and they rock for hiking.

Post subject: liners
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 am 

I am riding a prototype but you can contact Intuition sports to see if they can make you a pair of the Alpine custom power wrap or the Comp. liners they both work much better then the stock burton liner 604 879 9231 they are a great company to work with and can address your needs ask for Rob or Crystal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:44 pm 

I ride the 07 driver x and absolutely HATE them. The lower string rubs my ankle to form a ot spot and ever time I go out weither spring or winter my feet are soaked. They ride fine but the soggy feet drive me crazy.
Im trying hard boots out and Im finding some are great and others ...not so great.

I wish someone would make a soft boot that would keep my feet dry like a hard boot.

Im looking at every option at this point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:04 pm 

Hey Tex,

You mention a lower string rubbing your ankle and forming an ot spot. Is this the string from the liner?
What's an ot spot?

I ask 'cause I'm hoping to score some Driver X's this winter. I tried the Malimutes (06/07's) but didn't like the way they mated up with my Burton C 14 binders.

I'm looking for some 9.5's if your looking to let em go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:54 am 

up up litte thread :wink:

I just bought DriverX'08 and I rode them for one time : climbing 1100 meters with miniskis (my splitboard is under construction :wink: ) and down in powder with my snowboard...
i feel these boots are increadibly stiff but you have a lot of precision and power with them. Like Nisseman, difficult to do small curve between trees, and some hard curves with a lot of fear... :shock: :?
these boots need power to be ridden...i hope the stiff will be softer after rides and rides...

but, the big issue is the fact that my skin on the tibia is liked burnt by sliding skin / liner...
for people who used these boots, did you face this issue durign your first rides ? is it OK now ?

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, I am french... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 pm 

bumpy ... my old K2 Raider boots are destroyed. What's the experiences with durability on the DX's and the Mals? Wondering if any of the concerns have been justified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm 

After searching the forum and not finding much, but recalling Tex's earlier post, here's a little bump.

My Driver X's ('06 or '07, can't remember) also get way soaked every time I wear them. For those out there with similar problems/experience, what do you do to try to keep your feet dry on a tour, or to dry out the boots? It seems like they just don't dry, even after a week of sitting on my floor to air out.

I love the way the boots climb and ride and don't really want to look for something else. Any tips out there as to what to try? How to dry the boots on a multiday tour (taking the liners out and sleeping with them didn't do a whole lot)? How to best dry them at home?

Thanks.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:58 pm 

Kyle,

I rode burton drivers a long time ago and ruler and driver step ins after that. When I rode a lot in Europe I would pack them with newspaper pretty tightly for about an hour or two after riding then repack them very loosely. Mine were always damp after a day riding the resorts and this method worked decent to put me into dry boots the next morning.

I don't know if the newer driver x's would respond to this but it might help at home. As for on tour, tough to justify carrying a bunch of newspaper but there use to be a company that made very large dessicant packets that I used in my Pathology lab back in the day. If you can search the web for a very jumbo sized dessicant pack it might draw enough moisture out at night to be drier for the second day's ride. Most of these dessicant packs can be slow baked in your oven to dehydrate and revitalize them.

Not sure if this will work for you, but it could be something to consider. Nothing is worse than putting on wet socks or a wet skull/helmet liner, but wet boot liners is pretty close to as bad.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT