Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE gloves
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 pm 

I'd always wondered what I should really use as light gloves with dexterity for skinning, work in the snowpit, assembling the board quickly, etc. (I usually only put my heavier OR Descent gloves on for riding)
I've thought of wearing liners so that I never take them off and just put the OR's on top of them for the descent, but they can't handle heavy usage especially working with the splitboard parts, and they don't block wind...
I've thought about sticking with 0.5mm neoprene, but it's not that comfortable, and doesn't breathe well (as well as it's hard to find neoprene gloves with flat seams)

I've used Cloudveil schoeller material flyfishing gloves, they worked absolutely great most of the time, but they could easily get wet and they eventually died due to manipulating flicklocks and splitboard parts.

I think I've found the ultimate light glove to always have with you. Sealskinz Ultra Grip... they are supposedly seamless, waterproof, breathable... lined with merino wool... very dextrous, they look like they'd stand up to some use, and they're cheap I assume since they're so heavily produced since they are used in everything from soccer and fishing to Navy Seals...
You can usually find them in fishing and hunting shops, I'm going to go try them out, but I think they are what they say they are since they are on many people's bike-touring gear lists, and those people put gear through its paces and need the good shit

main thing I'm worried about is whether they really breathe well

anyone else have suggestions of stuff they've found?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:06 pm 

aw it was too good to be true haha
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Gloves/product_21759.shtml

the search continues, or I'll just keep going through thin gloves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:15 pm 

These are what I am going to be using this season.
http://www.discountworkgear.com/lined-leather-drivers/1-pair-kinco-ski-gloves.html?cat=258&page=6

They should be durable and they are cheap. I assume after a little use they should break in like any other work glove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:31 pm 

The Grenade Gloves Doobie Brothers model issweet. They are neoprene, don't soak up water, and keep you warm. My favorite for Alaska shredding and snowmobiling.
http://www.waveravesnowboardshop.com/is ... 08-13!2515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 pm 

BD Drytool glove.

Use seamsealer on everything. I know people who seamseal the palms too.

P.S. even th best gloves wont last a full season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:26 am 

x2 on the BD Drytool glove. great dexterity and comfort, but I'm the type that rarely skins with gloves on. i'm a big BD fan- i just wish they'd make a snowboard alpinism pack with options for carry in ski and board mode

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:10 am 

rapskallion wrote:
i just wish they'd make a snowboard alpinism pack with options for carry in ski and board mode

don't hold your breath...Black Diamond hates snowboarders. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:36 am 

I thought that the "mad max" gloves were gonna be pretty bad ass. I checked em out in the store yesterday and they don't have a removable liner like it says on the box, maybe I didn't look hard enough but it didn't seem to be removable.

I use a good lined pair of leather work gloves most days. I even rub em down with bee's wax to increase the waterproofing. They work great for almost everything and help to break you of the habit of dragging your hands. I also carry some OR shells for colder days to slide over the leathers.

Post subject: bdel samuri
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:55 am 

These are the best gloves I have ever owned. BD says they are climbing specific, but I uses the for boarding because they are warm and trimmed down so its easier to split/unsplit.
http://www.bdel.com/gear/samurai.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:05 pm 

I was born and raised in the tropics so warm hands (and feet) are a big deal for me..My "go to" gloves are the North Face windblocker fleece goves (I think this years model is the Pamir) for the climb and I have a heavy duty gauntlet style mitten glove with synthetic removable fill liners for heading down or if my hands just get cold.
The windblocker fleece golves are really sturdy and are up to the job digging pits and working with the splitboard hardware..but they cost $50...The extra pair of mitten gloves in the pack takes up very little space and weighs almost nothing.....

So here's another question:

During an ascent on a cold day if we stop for a chow break...my hands get really cold hey are really warm and dry when we stop) when we get going again...cold to the point of "sick to your stomach kind of cold"....I'm pretty sure it is just a circulation thing but the question is how to avoid it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:51 pm 

For not much coin those work gloves are great.

For too much coin gloves like the BD Samurai or Patagucci White Smoke with the welded or wrapped seams can give you tremendous dexterity if they fit right. Reducing the number of seams in the fingers is really nice, but seems to drive the production cost up.

Volcano with Golf Balls on Top: You're right it could just be a circulation thing and you're screwed, but you should try putting on a puffy jacket when you break. The body doesn't prioritize keeping the fingers warm and it's sometimes more convenient to throw on a puffy to maintain core warmth while keeping the thinner gloves on to eat or drink or be merry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 pm 

bcrider wrote:
rapskallion wrote:
i just wish they'd make a snowboard alpinism pack with options for carry in ski and board mode

don't hold your breath...Black Diamond hates snowboarders. ;)

Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. For now I'm content with my DaKine heli pro over an Avalung sling...I just wish DaKine could use BD's patent or vice versa. :(

BD gloves rule, though. I ordered a pair of Sensei gloves a few weeks back...can't wait!

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com