Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pack Shoppin'
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 am 

I am looking to purchase a new day touring pack. I have looked into the osprey line: Switch and Exposure, Arr'teryx: silo 30 and 40, and the Marmot La Meije. Curious if anyone out there is rockin' the La Meije and if so has anyone done a hydration modification as there is no pocket or hose hole in this pack. The Osprey stuff seems to be tried and true amongst this group, other than strapping on for the boot up, any complaints on the Exposure series.

My current pack is a Bergens of Norway, other than being a bit anti-waterproof I have few complaints, its simply getting worn out.

Thanks in advance for any experience, or other recommendations.

Post subject: Dakine Poacher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:48 pm 

I've just spent the wad on gear this year, my first split as well, so I've been thrifty in my shopping. I picked up a new Dakine Poacher and an Ogio Three6. The Dakine is twice as much money but at 38L it packs much bigger and is very well designed in my opinion. My only complaint is a lack of elastic stays for all the extra strap ends. I hate loose strap ends.
The Ogio is a great little 36L pack for way cheap. It's all over E-bay for under $50 and it seems very well built and has lots of features for the price. I'd recommend both these packs as day packs, especially if you're on a budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:57 am 

I don't think the Dakine Heli-Pro is plugged nearly enough around here,,,,

http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/packs/snow/heli-pro-20l/

Board carry (horizontal or vertical)
Ski carry (ie; while in split mode)
Integrated hydro sleave + pocket
Exterior shovel + probe holster
Deployable thermos (bear-spray in spring) pocket

...are just my favorite features off the top of my head :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:11 am 

Thanks for the input guys. I recently had a Helipro that I used for lift served BC at Alpy and Crystal. It was a good bag but did not accommodate my shovel blade very well. Yea I could get a different shovel I suppose. Also with the heavy wet ass snow we get round these parts the pack was often pretty wet come the end of the day. Also I am trying to stay round the 3.5lbs mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm 

I've got the Le Meije.

I love it. But I don't use a water bladder anymore so the lack of a bladder sleeve doesn't bother me. I got tired of fussing with the hose. It would either freeze up(yeah I know the tricks) or I couldn't reach it because of all the stuff in my pack, then I would tug on it and the hose would come off the bottom of the bladder... :lol: :roll:

I go old school with my water bottles. The pack is wonderful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:27 pm 

I have the Arcteryx M30. It is a precursor to the Silo 30 that you are looking at. I did a review here last season. There is a bunch of other pack stuff in that thread too. It looks like the Silo fixed some of the kookiness of the M30 like the teeny top pocket. After a year of use, two things I dislike about the M30 are the lack of padding on the hip belt and the lack of a pocket on the hipbelt. Also, the belt loosens up as I skin, which is kind of a pain. So look at that stuff if you ever get a chance to look over the Silo. But I love the concept of the pack. The board carry system carries the board very very well on the pack's lightweight frame. I L-O-V-E the rolltop. I really think that most of the people who need back and side zips on their packs have had bad experience accessing top loaders because the top pocket is a pain in the ass & covered up if you are carrying a board. The roll top totally solves the problem - access to the pack is really easy, even with the board on the pack. I love the M30 for its kookiness, but it's not for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 pm 

TK wrote:

Completely agree, the horizontal board carrying pad also makes a nice portable chair out of the pack.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:42 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
TK wrote:

Completely agree, the horizontal board carrying pad also makes a nice portable chair out of the pack.

I've got a Heli-Pro and like it as well. Although I've never had another splitboarding pack to compare it against. I hear there not "cool" though. When bcrider first saw my pack he said something like "you gonna take that thing into the backcountry". I said "yes, unless you wanna give me one of your dozen or so packs". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:14 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
TK wrote:

I've got a Heli-Pro and like it as well. Although I've never had another splitboarding pack to compare it against. I hear there not "cool" though. When bcrider first saw my pack he said something like "you gonna take that thing into the backcountry". I said "yes, unless you wanna give me one of your dozen or so packs". :lol:

Perhaps he can chime in with his opinion about the inadequacies of this pack for daytrips. For me personally it meets all my needs for a daypack.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:22 pm 

I've got a Dakine Poacher, which I really like for day trips. They're built well and take abuse, but are on the heavier side. For trips where more gear is required, I have an Exposure 66, which is 3lbs 14 oz, but carries heavy weight nicely. It has all the features for ski/board carry and is really well built for a light pack. The smaller packs in the exposure line would definitely be worth looking into in my opinion for a good day touring pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:38 am 

Tophervw wrote:
....did not accommodate my shovel blade very well.

Yeah, it can get pretty tight. I just jam mine in the front compartment w/ the shaft end tucked up in behind the goggle pocket. Aside from my skins, i make sure to only put stuff i don't need regularly in the remaining cavity

Tophervw wrote:
...the pack was often pretty wet come the end of the day

:lol: In alberta, even the f***'n water is dry (i wear hats now). I don't even bother zip-locking my maps anymore.

Ecobrad wrote:
...I hear there not "cool" though. When bcrider first saw my pack he said something like "you gonna take that thing into the backcountry". I said "yes, unless you wanna give me one of your dozen or so packs".

Seriously, I would've asked to borrow his split Fish, under the guise of demonstrating the superior horizontal carry system before promptly disapearing strait over the horizon just as soon as she was clipped up and the second strap touched my shoulder..."YOINK! -see, it is <i>cool</i> for something" 8) :wink:.

Good luck in your search Tophervw,

Post subject: pack shopp'in
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 pm 

Tophervw,
My vote is for the Da Kine Poacher...been using it for two seasons under a bunch of conditions..before that I had a Gregory that wasn't a winter backcountry pack at all...so I might be guilty of not being let out of my room very often...One feature of the Poacher that I really like is the zip opening on the back panel...big access to the entire contents of the pack...I use individual stuff bags for my junk (color coded no less) so I can find what I'm looking for with ease.

Now..on another subject: Shoreline where you live is not even near the Shore....Googel Earth is my witness...good stuff huh?

But more to the point...I just bought a 5 acre parcel in the hills above Sequim in the Lost Mountain area..I check out the Bell Hill live cam as often as possible...Snow in the hills....ever heard of guys hiking the north side of the Olys????? Anyone else reading this speak up too....it looks like there may be virgin terrain that is just begging to be explored (or kept quiet).... Just thought I take this opportunity to ask...

all for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:39 am 

So let me post... I am sorry if this is a ramble but its my first review of this pack anywhere.

I may have some different ideas on packs and gear than many people on this board. I engage in several outdoor activities besides boarding including day hiking, backpacking, climbing and peak bagging. Besides a large backpacking pack, I don't have the cash to buy a different gear or packs for all these activities. In general I like to my gear functional but most importantly simple (think voile vs burton interface). For example my favorite shell is XCR but has little more than pit zips and chest pockets (and I am really interested in event which could eliminate the pit zips). I don't need or want extra or specialized pockets to keep my camera, ipod, or goggles. The same is true of my pack.

Several years ago I purchased a Dana Design Bomb Pack like the one shown below. (yeah it was a Montana company but look at Will he knows what he is doing). This pack is no longer made but can still be found online (someone was selling the one below on TGR not too long ago). The bomb pack is a top loader with little more than a pocket in the lid, a main compartment with one smaller pocket, and a well thought out board/ski carrying system.

Image[/URL]

The suspension system carries all I need for a spring or summer overnight (3-season tent, sleeping bag, food, fuel, and extra clothes), day at the crags (rack of draws or trad gear, rope, shoes, water and food), or a day in the backcountry (board, avi gear, extra clothes, food) without complaint. My bomb pack seems to especially enjoy awkward loads (overnight plus case of beer on the outside).

The board carrying system is ingenious. It uses the compression straps on the the pack like the TNF and Arc'teryx models but adds a beaver tail. I like the compression strap aspect because it does not allow the pack to become "floppy" even if its relatively empty (see one reviewer's comments in the Osprey pack thread). In addition, I have found the beaver tail seems to transfer the weight of the board onto the frame a bit better then simply a compression strap system. An A-frame ski carry is also possible.

Although this pack may not have the dedicated features of some of the other packs you are likely to look at (dakine, osprey, bd...) I am convinced the Dana will prove itself as a much better "mountain" pack. I would challenge anyone who has used this pack to disagree. I especially recommend it over the dakine packs. I have owned the poacher. I found it uncomfortable and less than durable, the stitching on the straps used to close the lid came out and I lost one of the buckles.

This is just $0.37 from a guy who doesn't get a new pack every couple of years.