Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard boots, forward lean and soft snow?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:28 pm 

Hi,

Here's a variation of a question I ask nearly every year:

Don't AT boots basically force you into putting a lot of your weight onto your front foot?

I tried plates a few years back and found the tip and rip mode to not really fit my style. However, as my ankles deteriorate, I'm reconsidering them (again). But every AT boot I've tried on has some forward lean built into them (maybe the F1's didn't but they did not fit my feet at all). And this forward lean feels like it must push you onto your front foot which may be nice for eastern hardpack and racing but doesn't seem so hot for trees and billy-goating around. Now some of the issue may be abated with cants and lifts but how much toe lift can you build into split plates.

So is it the nature of the beast to be on the fron tfoot whern on plates or am i missing something?

Any easteners on plates, other than Affix?

Thanks, Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:44 pm 

A/T boots shouldn't give you that feeling, IF you have set everything up properly. I am using Dynafit TLT4's right now, with the forward lean lockdown wire removed, and added a powerstrap to the cuff of the liner. I also use a homemade cant/lift under the pucks on my rear foot. This helps me get a wider stance w/o adding any stress to my legs. To me, it feels very natural. I ride a board with a lot of taper, which means I ride centered on the board for most things. The ability to move around on the board is important, as you may need to get back a little in pow, or on a steep you need to weight the front foot for quick/jump turns. I am also in the minority here, as I use fairly "steep" angles, 38f/32ish rear. Just fits my aggressive style on hard snow, but works fine in pow, too. Hope this helps you....

Post subject: Hard boots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:54 am 

I run an old pair of Scarpa Laser's. The slight forward lean is not very different than my Flow bindings. They are VERY broken in. They feel like supportive soft boots in pow. On hard snow I lock the "ski"mode and ride in "walk" mode for the "goods". Like Jon said, you have to get back in pow. I use no lifts at all.I run soft boot angles. 15 F /5 R. Seems to be the Teton norm. I have never had a problem on steeps and I ride trees most often. They are my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:27 pm 

I guess I made the ASSumption that AT boots would be used at higher angles like John's not soft boot angles. So forward lean on flat angles would be similiar to binding lean but higher angles do seem to push you onto the frontfoot.

JD, Dynafits are the one make of boot I haven't tried on.

ST, what size feet do you have? My 10.5's would be overhanging by inches if I rode rear angles that flat.

Anyone try the Scarpa Titan's? They don't show much forward lean to them.

Thanks, Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:07 pm 

Spencer wrote:
ST, what size feet do you have? My 10.5's would be overhanging by inches if I rode rear angles that flat.
.Thanks, Spencer

Hey Spencer, I wear a size 12 boot. My shells are a 29(11). They do hang over a bit but not as much as you would think. The rise from the pucks on my split are sufficient to prevent toe drag. I have plates for my NS Titan and Legacy. Both are wide boards. No problems there either. I run 5B/15F on all. The lean on the Titan is probably similar to all Scarpa AT boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:26 pm 

I ride both mountaineering boots in strap bindings and Lowa Struckturas in Voile plates.

The "ski" mode in the Lowas has a pretty aggressive forward lean that I use only on hardpack, resorts and on steeps; I would say this has a bit of a tendency to push rider weight forward (I ride 25/15 with hardboots).

I feel that my weight settles a little further back in the "walk" mode, which I like for mellow powder surfing.

Cants can be a factor in this equation. My first (DIY) splitter had cants front and back, and I found they centered my weight nicely on the board. My current stock Burton does not have cants, but Voile rep told me that they are being produced again and will be available on-line in a few days. I like how the cants push my knees together and allow a wider, more relaxed, more stable stance with the hardboots.

Steve

Steve

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:00 pm 

i ride 4 set - ups

no system winn the first price.

it s crasy - but i need it ...

in europa are to many diferent locations and riding times.

at low alps i ride a 2 pice split board.. withe sooft boot.

at short hikes i ride no split a singel light board and snow shoes,,,
at big mountain withe ice conditions i ride a 3 pice board withe dynafit tlt 4 - and the ligt bindings systen TOULIGHT.. it s light and a small system with the boot - best to youse ski traps...

for all outher mixed tour s i yoused Nitro Mirage clicker....

ok . on a mountain are diferent leves and condition... because the problem is no time is the right system on my feet :wink:

only the quastion help me:

how long is the trip ??? - and what ride is it ? powder ore ice

one system for all - i never found it...

burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:44 pm 

Quote:
powder ore ice

Ice? If there's no powder or corn I'm mountain biking.