Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:59 am 

If anyone is in the market for some Whippets, Mammoth Mountaineering has them on sale at 45% off. I just ordered a pair. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:01 pm 

jimw wrote:
I'd be curious to know if there is any difference in the strength off the BD Trail vs. the Expedition. mmcpheet said he broke a pair of the trekking poles last year. Maybe these were the 3-season version?

Last year was a bad year for me & poles. I hate spending money on poles as they seem like the least glamorous gear purchase I make (and make often). So last year I found 2 different pair on SAC. The BD ones I broke were the Enduro CF described as an all-season pole. I broke the CF section on both of them on seperate occasions, neither of which would have broken the expedition poles IMO.

The other pair were the Atlas 7000 Series Poles. I'm happy to report that they did not break, though this was due to them not being used after their initial trial. After breaking the second of BD CFs, I took the atlas to Lassen where I shortened them for the top part of the climb. Once on top, I went to extend them to skiing length only to find that neither one was going to budge. I ended up having to ski with 2 fully collapsed 3 section poles (which was more difficult than I had thought), climb again, and descend again with essentially useless poles. They are a twist lock type which I finally got to extend after a visit from the workbench vice and a pair of vice grips.

The life-link variants aren't too bad in that they adjust most of the time, but they sometimes do not want to screw back together if seperated, as I found out on day 1 of 3 on matterhorn. Luckily Steeleman travels prepared for a pole malfunction.

wavy wrote:
If anyone is in the market for some Whippets, Mammoth Mountaineering has them on sale at 45% off. I just ordered a pair. :D

Just ordered myself a second. Get 'em now while you can, it seems the past few years they've gotten hard to find as spring season starts up. Got a pair of Expedition 3 section as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:22 pm 

I know where there are 2 sets of poles...free for the taking. A pair of Leki REI rentals are somewhere along the lower trail from USA bowl down to the houses right by the road , and pair 2 would be on the north side of Togwotee pass :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 pm 

Got some whippets and the shaft is smaller than the expedition poles.

I think I need one of these. Image

What's up with these. I don't think I'm getting the concept. Does it go on the outside like a jimmy hat.

Quote:
Well almost, add a whippet upper (cut down a little) if you're climbing steep stuff.

Yup, I'll still need to cut 'em down, cause I'm ready to climb the steep stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:11 am 

Yo PJ,

I don't think you need one of those. I just sawed off the bottom 3-4 inches of the whippet and then the upper exped piece fits in. You need to notch the bottom of what you cut so it can compress.

There are some more mods that could be done (I think romeo from tetonat blogged about some interesting stuff), but that's all I have done.

I can't think of anything we can really do with the lower piece that comes with the whippet. I guess just donate it to the mmcpheet broken pole fund.

Sorry if this isn't clear, pics would help but my camera ain't handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 am 

Dave's comments are what I've done as well PJ. Unless they've changed the diameter of the Whippet shaft you shouldn't need any sort of adapter.

Step One:
Remove the bottom shaft on the Whippet and give it to mmcpheet.

Step Two:
Cut some length off the Whippet shaft. (remove Flick-lock from cut off section and note how BD makes their notch in the pole that allows the Flick-lock to work)

Step Three:
Drill a small hole about an inch up from your cut.

Step Four:
Make two small cuts to the hole creating a notch.

Step Five:
Put the Flick-lock back on and add the lower section/s of the Expedition poles.

Additional Notes:
Depending on your height, you may or may not have to also cut some length off the Expedition pole sections. As with any projects that require cutting something, be sure to do a dry run and triple check your measurements. :)

Pics:

Notch on Whippet Shaft.

Finished product.

ps. One Whippet is better than none but two Whippets is where it's at. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:13 pm 

I did the same thing, no extra pieces required. But, even with the shorter upper shaft, the second pole section on mine doesn't collapse all the way into the upper like the expedition pole does, and like it does for the Whippets pictured above. I assumed this was just "the way it is" because my old Whippet Trek, which was sold as a 3-section pole, is the same way. I assumed this was because of that extra piece of the Whippet pick that extends down into the shaft below the handle. So I figured that was just the way it was, and oh well, at least I got some minor weight savings from cutting off the unneeded part of the upper shaft. But:
bcrider wrote:
Additional Notes:
Depending on your height, you may or may not have to also cut some length off the Expedition pole sections. As with any projects that require cutting something, be sure to do a dry run and triple check your measurements. :)

Hmm. This could be the ticket. I do have the longer length poles, and I routinely end up with them extended pretty far so I wouldn't want to lose any useable length by cutting... but I gotta check this out. It would be nice if I could make it collapse all the way. Thanks for the tip.

Out of curiousity, what length are the poles you're using with your Whippets? 125 cm or 140 cm?

Quote:
ps. One Whippet is better than none but two Whippets is where it's at. ;)

When I initially got my Whippet Trek, the guy at BD that I spoke to said pretty much everyone he knew who used a Whippet only had one. Nowadays I see a lot of pics with people with 2. To me it just makes sense to have 2 because you never know when you're going to slip, and you want whatever hand ends up being uphill to have something in it to stop you.

Plus with 2 Whippets and some Verts you can practically ice climb. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:35 pm 

Quote:
Plus with 2 Whippets and some Verts you can practically ice climb.

I knew Jim would get a Vert comment in somewhere. Jim and his Verts :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Post subject: enduro CF
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm 

I got a deal on some enduro CF's Will nabbed off of steapandcheap. The grip on them is fantastic, I use the extended bottom part a lot. However, I did manage to break the carbon bottom with the edge of my board while flailing around in spring snow last year. New bottoms are cheap at least ($12 I think it was) Aluminum would be better suited for snowboarding I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:32 pm 

You know, I think BD is making the shaft smaller on the new ones. :x

It is smaller when I compare it side by side with my expedition poles.

I don't even think that adaptor will work becasue they say it is for the carbon fiber pole, which also have a small diameter shaft.

hmmm, might have to take off the grip and enlarge the hole where the shaft goes in and glue it on my poles. That should would but ends up being a pretty expensive purchase for just the grip and whippet. I did get them half off though.

Any other suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
You know, I think BD is making the shaft smaller on the new ones. :x

What year is the Whippet, and what year are the Expedition poles? They did change the diameter I think about 2 years ago. I have one Whippet which uses the smaller shaft, and one which uses the larger shaft. It's pretty close, but just different enough that you can't mix and match. You can however just order the correct diameter lower 2 sections for your year Whippet directly from BD, which is what I ended up doing (had old Expedition poles, got new Whippet, old lowers were too narrow for new Whippet upper). I think a set of lowers was pretty reasonably priced IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:16 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
I knew Jim would get a Vert comment in somewhere. Jim and his Verts :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Yer just jealous. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 pm 

Brand new this year's whippets.

Sounds like they make 3 sections in the smaller diameter?

Why don't they just make some fuggin' 3 section whippets. Can't be that hard. Sounds like they have the right parts, just need to assemble them into a damn 3 section whippet.

AARRGGG

Time to call BD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next