Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DC Allegiance boots- stiffest boot!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:27 am 

Anyone got an idea of the DC allegiance and how stiff they really are? They're designed with the BOA focus- dual boa to tighten the bottom and top of the boot separately. They rate a 16 out of 18 on the DC stiff scale. Anyone tried them on? Thanks!

I'm getting sick of Salomon laces tearing and needing replacement twice a season (yeah, I ride a lot!). Malamutes are awesome, but I'm dying to try the Boa system....DC adds a lot of little nice touches too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:49 am 

Ok, so I ended up taking a chance. I was very nervous about switching from Salomon because that's all I've ridden EVER. But I got sick of buying from a company that got into snowboarding to make money when skiing was slowing down. I'd rather invest in a company that provides gear specific to snowboarders. Just a personal quirk....

What a great boot! Way stiffer and lighter than a Salomon Malamute- noticeably lighter in your hands mainly due to a lack of heavy rubber where you don't really need it- they keep it specific to contact points on boots where you always need traction, heels and toes. Great two dial Boa design where you can tighten lower and upper portions of boot independently. Liner has air bladders around ankles that fine tune that heel lock. They include foot beds that you can put heat packs into- so you don't have a bulky mess at toes. The liners are super super warm already though...Liners also have gel in the toe so it's a comfy fix to toe jam problems. Size up a 1/2 size from your normal shoe size or Salomon malamute size. I wear a 11.5 shoe but a 12 in the DC allegiance.

Boa design has a lifelong warranty- and the aircraft grade aluminum cables- 14 strands each cable, will outlast many laces out there. Plus, each boot has Recco reflectors which doesn't hurt in the backcountry of some resorts.

The custom fit you get from these boots is great and the stiffness is unbeatable- like wearing casts on your feet- but I'm sure they'll break in nicely. It's a clean design and simple. There is upper boot articulation so the material doesn't flex outward or warp when you flex the boot or bend forward. Another great part is quickly loosening the boots on the lift to take a break, then you can rapidly crank them down in seconds to get a super tight fit before the run.

Finally a snowboard boot company steps up to make a big burly all mountain boot- without laces!. Now you don't have to rely on a ski company to make your backcountry snowboard boots! :D I'm impressed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:55 pm 

ddegraaf wrote:
Ok, so I ended up taking a chance. I was very nervous about switching from Salomon because that's all I've ridden EVER. But I got sick of buying from a company that got into snowboarding to make money when skiing was slowing down. I'd rather invest in a company that provides gear specific to snowboarders. Just a personal quirk....
Actually they were a skateboard company that got into snowboards once everyone was already wearing skate shoes for anything :D Sounds good, but most of your comments are just parroting the product description. I'd love to hear a follow-up post after you ridden them from 10+ days.

Oh and btw, do you have wide/narrow feet? Do the DC shoes have wider/narrower ankle area (prior to pumping it up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:20 pm 

yeah I'm aware that DC was a skate company first...:D I think they have a real innovative direction into snowboard boot design.

So- liner on a size 12 DC is the same size (toe to heel) as a salomon liner (11.5) although the there is a little more width in the ankle area. I think this is done specifically for the rider to adjust the air bladder to get that right fit instead of having that pre determined size from other boots. It isn't a problem once the bladder is pumped up.

As for the rest of the liner it seemed pretty similar towards the toes and across the foot in size compared to Salomon. I have narrower feet and I think these can accomodate narrow to mid-wide feet. With narrow feet, just a little more air pumping and it's good. I would say the actual liner material on the DC boot is way more substaintial- thicker, more padding etc. but still fit very similarly to a Salomon. Another nice aspect is that the actual liner does not have laces on it. There is this lace strap system inside the boot that cinches the liner to the inside of the outer boot making a really secure lock. The liner just has a big velcro strap across the upper portion.
To address the "parroting" of DC's description- since the dual BOA design is new, I just wanted to explain that it works incredibly well. Plus, I assumed not a lot of people on this site would consider a DC boot since they have in the past been park-oriented in design and flex. So reading my basic review might prompt some to check out the boot online or a shop. Just trying to spread the love...:D
yeah, I will most def. write a review after a few days on the hill. But- as for my notes above, I think people should at least consider trying a DC allegiance boot on in the shop before going right to a Salomon or Burton Driver. Seems like those were the big choices for people recently and I thought adding a note on another company's stiff boots couldn't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:09 am 

Is the velcro strap a type of heel anchor mechanism like the one in the Malamutes, or more of a way to tighten the shin area of the boot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:12 am 

it's a velcro strap around the shin. The dual Boa takes care of heel lock though- the way the cables meet and cross really holds the foot down from the outside eliminating the need for the crosss velcro strap internally found in the Malamutes. Couple that with the air bladders and your heel ain't lifting no matter what! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 am 

So after riding these DC boots on some early challenging terrain- east coast packed powder (ice), moguls, etc. I have to say these are very comfortable, really sturdy and offer great, stiff support. The BOA lacing system never had to be retightened after initial "lace up" and there was never any calf bite or blisters from heel movement. Calf bite is eliminated with a soft neoprene section on the top of the boot.

I'm riding these with Burton C60's and the straps on the bindings cover up a large portion of the boot cables- reducing the potential for snagging/breaking them on branches etc.

I will say though that this is DC first year with the Allegiance and there could be some improvements. The toe of the boot is a little longer than a Salomon malamute while fitting the same size foot. Salomon kind of squares off the toe reducing the tendency for toe drag. I did not have toe drag, but just noticed that the DC boot was a bit "longer" comparing side by side. The toe is also not as hard as the Malamute (just the orientation of the stiching makes this difference). Not a big deal for straps, but might not be the best for kicking holes in steep hard pack for footing. Then again that's what crampons are for :D

Air bladder was great for heel lock and I have not had any foot pain. If I found these good for east coast, then they would be fantastic for the fluff out West! Riding out east demands a lot more effort for carving, balance etc, and the DC allegiance held up extremely well.

On a side note- they have this cold temperature rubber on the sole that forms spikes on snow or when below freezing. I was skeptical, but it works and walking on pure ice and slick hard pack wasn't a problem and there was a lot of grip. I also noticed how much lighter the boots were to walk/ ride in compared to Salomon Malamutes. Riding was nice because I never really noticed I had on new boots- there was never a real break in period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:09 pm 

I rode the DC Judges for 70+ days of riding last year. Everything from park riding to kicking steps to climbing rock (hey you gotta summit those peaks when your that close). The only complaint I have with them is they are a little heavy. Besides that construction is solid, not a single tear or delaminate. The boa system rocks and I'm pretty sure I'm sold on this for life, very comfortable boots for people w/ wide feet. Though it didn't break on me once last year I still need to get a repair kit for the bc as it's a single point of failure that will put you out. The air bladder is really nice for keeping out the heel lift. If only dc would make them w/ a vibram mountaineering sole...yeah right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 pm 

ddegraaf wrote:
I also noticed how much lighter the boots were to walk/ ride in compared to Salomon Malamutes. Riding was nice because I never really noticed I had on new boots- there was never a real break in period.
It's too bad you already sold your Malamutes, otherwise you could put both on a scale and tell us the relative weight difference for your size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:36 pm 

Yeah weighing them would really help a review! Sorry about that...All I can say is that by picking up each boot, the weight difference was VERY noticeable with the DC's feeling like a feather in comparison. The entire sole is not rubber- it's this high density foam which results in the lighter weight. The cold temperature rubber is only place at contact points.

As for the BOA, as most know, it's a clean design with no laces hanging around. What kinda killed me with Malamutes were the laces with the big plastic lace pull on the end. I continually got that wrapped around gear or the laces themselves and always had to sort it out before putting them on. The laces also always crapped out during the year and required buying new ones all the time. That sucked big time and was costly getting Salomon laces that fit the lace locks on the boots. BOA boots are awesome- just slip them on, crank, and ride. Plus, nothing to get caught up on!

Vibram would be a great addition to many "all mountain" boots out there, but I'd be concerned with the added weight. Do Vibram soles weigh more? Seems like my hiking boots with Vibram are kinda heavy....

DC did a good job building a big mountain boot and I'd rank it up there with a Malamute. I'm sure DC, Burton, and Salomon make great high end boots-probably the best on the market. It always comes down to how they feel though.

General note: A Burton Driver with Vibram may be the best boot out there (for example) but if they don't feel good, no point in buying them....take all reviews into consideration, but try them all on. It's a very personal choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:01 am 

i have a pair of dc boa boots. rode them all of last season. when i would ride more than 1 day a week they caused problems. gotta say, they make my feet hurt so bad after riding in them that i can barely walk.

time to buy new boots.

also, constantly had trouble with the boa system either coming undone or not turning both sides equally causing the tongue to get uneven/uncomfortable.

would not buy again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm 

bought driver x boots today! will post a review later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 am 

ddegraaf, did the allegiance come with any backup/replacement boa wires? A pair of flow aviator boots that I've burned through did come with one replacement, but I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with other boa boots. Seems like you'd want to have at least one backup wire with you when on tour. But, there's at least one benefit of these new dual zone boa boots... if one of the wires snaps, you still have the other (upper or lower) working for you.