Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulling Pulks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:39 am 

Anyone have experience pulling a pulk for overnight BC trips? I can see going uphill being not any different than if you were skiing but downhill stretches could get weird with my freeheeling skills on my split & if you're sideways is that even reasonably doable?

Found this site:
http://www.skipulk.com/

Just wondering what others experiences might be & have you tried their stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:19 am 

ive done alot of touring with pulks and the ride isnt that hard. uphill is no big deal. you feel it at the switchback so you need to counter that into you trail choices early on. The biggest thing about the pulk is making sure to get stiff tie rods from your hips to the sled. I tried initially when i was bring my son into the hills to make an adapter to my bike trailer for kids. By building a set of trash kids skis under each wheel I was able to get many a trip in that wasnt too bad. The biggest problem was that I used climbing slings to attach from my hip belt to the trailer. every time I had to go down hill I had to steer the trailer from behind. scary. powder was a bitch caus the trailer would posthole, but with practice it went fine.
There is a book
http://www.amazon.com/Really-Backcountr ... 561&sr=8-2
that shows you how to make your own pulk using a reinforced sled system with x-crossed pvc poles, and i think that that would work well. all the same a real pulk is like butter. as easy as snowhoeing.

downhill on a board is not too bad. take it slow. adjust the belt and go.your turns will be a bit different but it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:13 pm 

a ridged tow system would be nice(never used one but saw people using them). i used a sled on a recent trip to AK, they are a pain in the ass period, mainly going down hill. i found the trick was to tie a rope under the sled to act as a brake. my sled just kept hitting me in the heals and turned into a shit show with all the ropes. in the end i tried to test the strength of my pole over the sled.... sled won!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 am 

gotta have a rigid tow, otherwise its hopeless.

here is a link to the Teletips version of free plans for a sled building.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Sled.html
good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:19 pm 

The sleds seem like a great idea for long and flat or expedition-like trips but for normal 2-4 day bc trips I think they potentially can be more trouble than its worth. Normally I just don't have that much stuff to carry. They work great on frozen lakes but less great as the angles and terrain steepen. I also like the flexibility of choosing the best route for the conditions/goals and not the best route for the sled. I have seen ones that can easily be strapped to your pack though and it is nice to get all the overnight weight off your back on distance trips.

Or shorter trips if you're towing in the keg. 8)

Post subject: pulka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 pm 

Pulling pulka's are what dogs are for. Gotta earn their meat. No free chicken for my boys. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 am 

i think backpacks like BC says are for 90 % of most trips the way to go too.

sometimes its easier draggin the sucker, it depends on the location and whats in the haul. backpacks are not feasible for certain trips unless you are depotin stashes ahead of time. for most anything up to a week backpacks are just easier. distance and big gear, are another bag entirely.

Bringing small kids into the hills is also a no go with a backpack.

like ice axes there is one for each job, some can cross function some cant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 am 

I read about a sled system that suggested stringing the rope connecting the pack and sled through pvc pipe I would assume this would benefit the downhill? Is this what is referred to as a rigid tow system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:18 am 

the rigidness of the toe ropes is so that the sled doesnt ride up and smack you in the ass or drag you down the hill. by having a rigid tow system the sled stays put behind you and you still can make turns. by x-ing the poles from behind, the turns become more fluid as the sled is pushed into the turn so that your hips arent turned out of line. on real sleds the towlines are rigid enough so that this isnt necessary. if you are going to try and make your own experiment with the diameter of the PVC or conduit so that the poles arent too floppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 am 

So Nrway have you ever tried or seen someone try pulling a pulk & being powered by a kite? I read a couple of stories about people traversing Greenland on kites but they were using skis....didn't read too many horror stories about big wrecks in the adventure but more waiting for wind to arrive problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 pm 

Check out Skipulk.com for the best setup I have found for extended BC mountaineering trips. This hardware worked great on Denali with a Paris expedition sled from REI. If you decide to take a sled, either with or without your board, this is definitely the approach to take IMHO.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:39 pm 

ive never seen anyone use a kite snowboard sled combo. ive seen the ski thing and it works damn well. the ticker is that the kite shouldnt weigh too much due to the fact when the wind dont blow you are hauling the sucker. they make a super light weight kite that doesnt have the same trapeze rigging of a kitesurfer, and still gets the job done. you can save some serious time moving across vast distances, but there are few areas in the world where you would want to use it. Greenland, some areas of remote canada...I had some friends that used kites with sleds and he was using a regular snowboard for the descent, but approach skis on the trip in. worked for crap compared to the guys on real skis because you really want the edge control to keep yourself from being dragged onto your side with a 100 kg sled behind you.

If you are interested in a real sled, I recommend checking out this company.
http://www.fjellpulken.no/index.php?opt ... 38&lang=en

they make great stuff. although expensive will last you forever, and you can sell it again, as opposed to a REI expedition that will need some reinforcing.its a strange weird market but those who need it will get it.
ive got a kids model which def. can be used for longer hauls as well as the milk/keg run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 pm 

NorwayBrder wrote:
If you are interested in a real sled, I recommend checking out this company.
http://www.fjellpulken.no/index.php?opt ... 38&lang=en

they make great stuff. although expensive will last you forever, and you can sell it again, as opposed to a REI expedition that will need some reinforcing.its a strange weird market but those who need it will get it.
ive got a kids model which def. can be used for longer hauls as well as the milk/keg run.

The REI expedition sled is much lighter and cheaper, and hasn't needed any reinforcement after over 35 days in the backcountry, so I would also add durable. Given you will be likely towing over substantial snowpack on splitboard trips the cost of replacement ($30 USD) is a much better option IMHO than the added weight and significantly added cost. If I were traversing an icecap or Patagonia, your company would be my choice, but not for multi-day trips or even an Alaskan climbing expedition. Additionally, the towing poles from your site do not allow them to be crossed, which in my experience contributes a substantial additional level of control, so I would still recommend the hardware from Skipulk.com on whatever sled one chooses for their needs and budget

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg