Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TAHOE '07-'08
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:17 am 

Snowed pretty hard at my house in Reno at 5200' last night. An inch or two on the ground. The mountains look beautiful again.

Bring it!!!!!!! :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:02 pm 

Job's Sista

Job's

Freel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 am 

Thanks for the pic's.

Were you hiking from Meyers to Armstrong Pass? MtnRider and I climbed up that s/t last summer to loop Toad's. MtnRider now thinks Toads should be shuttled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:41 am 

Nice pics dave! Its refreshing to see white! :)

In your last pic you can also see Ralston and the Crystal Range. :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:49 pm 

Eco - I was camping/freezing my toes off during the storm. On Sat we climbed Job's Sister.

Regarding Toad's, going up from Meyers is rough. Most downhillers seem to shuttle from the Armstrong Pass TH on FS road 051 off of Hope Valley, but it's also a great ride from the Rim Trail TH across from Powderhouse or the Big Meadow TH. I've looped it from Meyers via South Upper Truckee to Big Meadows Campground and picked up the Rim Trail there, but that's a pretty long day. BTW they just put in a new trail straight down from Armstrong to top of Oneidas, haven't ridden it yet but I bet it's cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:36 pm 

We rode up that trail that starts near the end of Oneindas. As you near Armstrong Pass about 3/4 of the way up you get some looks at Job's, Job's Sister and Freel that are pretty amazing. I've always looped Toad's via Myers, SU Truckee Big Meadows, TRT. Being on trail almost the whole way is kinda cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:50 pm 

Warning Depressing Images Below

Viewer Discretion Advised

11/20/07

We had a few rain flurries in Meyers yesterday, so I decided to see if anything accumulated near Round Top...not much.

Round Top

East Ridge of Round Top with Winnemucca Lake below

Pyramid Area

Silver Peak and Ebbetts area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am 

Quote:
.LONG TERM...THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...

WE HAVE A STORM COMING! MODELS ARE COMING INTO MUCH BETTER AGREEMENT WITH THE SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM TO IMPACT THE AREA THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. ENSEMBLES SHOW LITTLE SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA WITH HIGH PROBABILITIES FOR PRECIP INCREASING CONFIDENCE FOR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM... THE BENEFIT OF A GOOD MOISTURE TAP INITIALLY... IMPRESSIVE MOISTURE PLUME AND STRONG ISENTROPIC LIFT... MY POPS ARE ALMOST CERTAINLY TOO LOW...IF ANYTHING. MODELS ARE SHOWING NEAR 2 INCHES OF WATER IN THE SIERRA FROM TAHOE SOUTH... HAVE STARTED SNOW LEVELS AT 5000 FEET...RISING TO 6500-7000 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT BEFORE FALLING AGAIN FRIDAY... SNOW IS LIKELY... ESPECIALLY ABOVE 6000 FEET...THERE COULD BE SOME HEAVY SNOW INTO WESTERN NEVADA TOO... IT WILL ALL DEPEND ON THE TRACK AND TO A LESSER EXTENT TIMING OF THE SYSTEM.

And this storm's anti-jinx provided by the National Weather Service itself. Has it really come to this??

Quote:
THAT BEING SAID...IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THAT I MAY BE OVERLY EXCITED SINCE IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT STORM OF THE SEASON...AND A GOOD ONE AT THAT. THERE IS STILL THE POTENTIAL THE SYSTEM COULD DROP FURTHER SOUTH AND WEST OF THE AREA WITH AMOUNTS GREATLY REDUCED. AT THIS POINT...THIS IDEA LOOKS MUCH LESS LIKELY...WITH A 10 PCT OR LESS CHANCE OF OCCURRING BASED ON ENSEMBLE DATA. ALSO CONSIDERED AN SPS TO HIGHLIGHT THE STORM...BUT WITH CURRENT ADVISORIES/WARNINGS OUT FOR WIND...WILL LET THE DAY SHIFT HANDLE IT FOR NOW.

I guess I'll throw one in too... [anti-jinx]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:44 pm 

It'sa snowin'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 pm 

12/11/07

Red Lake Peak

Fair to good skinning coverage on the road. Bowl over Crater Lake needs more coverage. Around of foot of amazing pow over a base of rocks, stumps, bushes off the road. Fun skiing down except vehicle ruts near the bottom make it a little spicy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 pm 

12/19/07

Carson Pass

Last storm seemed to be a little wimpier than predicted. Found a few turns off Elephant's Back, but conditions are still thin out there. There are many objects sticking out of the snow and lurking just below. When skinning poles often went to granite.

Heard a good whumpf in a meadow, maybe a collapsing facet layer. Dug a hasty pit and pulled out some sugary crap from the just above the ground.

Sastrugi (with E Back in the distance)

Wind effected pow off North Shoulder of Elephants Back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 pm 

There was some wierd snow reported on ttips too, around mt. rose, so don't forget to take your time and make good observations when you go out, sorry to nag. (Sweet line, Dave.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 pm 

I've seen lot's of instabilities the past two days. The layers under the new snow are really varies (some snow, some bare ground, some ice) making things tricky. If something goes, it's going to the ground and will likely beat you up pretty good. Careful this weekend.