Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 am 

Pow Tracker, what shop do you run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 pm 

Quote:
JimW and I have been around these parts quite a long time and I can tell you from my experience he's definitely joking...like most of his posts. I took his suggestion more of an entry into his story of how he obtained his Avalung.

I hope I did not come off to harsh with that last post :oops:

Quote:
Pow Tracker, what shop do you run?

I'm at JAX. Look me up next time you are in the fort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:21 pm 

Quote:
I hope I did not come off to harsh with that last post

Nah, you didn't. You started with.."I'm sure your only joking" Just thought I'd clarify for Jim. Maybe I should just mind my own business. :D Seriously though, you should read some of Jim's trip reports. Belly laugh funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:43 pm 

powder_tracker wrote:
Quote:
The other option is to go into a store that has the Avalung, ask to check it out, and then "accidentally" remove the plastic covering over the mouthpiece, so that you have now "contaminated" it and nobody else will buy it, forcing them to sell it at half price. Smile

I'm sure you are only joking :shock: But as a retailer I have to say that I find your suggestion rather disturbing, and I can guarantee that the person who removed the plastic in my store definitely would not be offered it at half price! :wink: When things like that happen, it hurts the bottom line at the shop, and while one isolated incident is not a huge deal, all of them combined can become a HUGE deal. Its hard enough competing with the internet. You should view your local shop as a tremendous resource. Imagine if there were no local shops and you had to blindly buy off the internet. I'd be willing to bet that you would find your self with product that shows up at your door via say UPS that is not at all what you expected. Just my 2cents.

Dude I was totally serious.

[...insert extra-long Borat pause...]

NOT! :)

Yeah, like Eco said, I was just relating the story of how I came to end up with such a good deal on my Avalung. I kinda felt bad buying it, felt like I was practically stealing it. Apparently that was what happened, someone came in and looked at it, and removed the plastic... then they were kinda screwed because they couldn't in good faith sell it in that condition. I guess they must not have noticed at first or I assume they would have made the guy buy it. Mammoth Mountaineering is a great store and I recommend you check it out if you're ever in the area. I would never encourage anyone to use such shady tactics to get a "discount" on a potentially life-saving product. I hope nobody took the post that way!

Quote:
Imagine if there were no local shops and you had to blindly buy off the internet. I'd be willing to bet that you would find your self with product that shows up at your door via say UPS that is not at all what you expected.

Yup. I have a whole pile of stuff that is waiting to be sent back to Steep And Cheap right now...

Oh yeah, Eco I got yer back too! But when we gonna ride?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 pm 

Hey Jim...

Kinda feelin' like an ass. I just reread my post from this morning, and I've got to say I came off as, well, an ass. :oops: :x :oops:
I think for now on I will have my coffee before checking the internet :lol:

Thats awesome that you got your Avalung at such a great deal! 8) :D

BTW: I ordered mine today :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Maybe not the best pic. You can see the grass and well most of the terrain we hiked over looked like this...

Donde?...Loveland Pass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:18 pm 

Quote:
Oh yeah, Eco I got yer back too! But when we gonna ride??

So many mountains, so little time.

I'm trying to get down to Kernville to ride the Plunge with Tommy, you in interested? 20 something miles of downhill singletrack. Not sure if there are any houses to jump? :wink:

Last weekend I rode the Pinecrest Peak trail, man, no teter toters or cat walks but lots of cool drop offs, tight turns, and narrow fast trail. I only crashed twice :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 am 

powder_tracker wrote:
Killclimbz wrote:
Maybe not the best pic. You can see the grass and well most of the terrain we hiked over looked like this...

Donde?...Loveland Pass?

Yeah, that was a day at Loveland Pass. I actually don't put too many days there. Mostly Berthoud or Monarch, but that was a great day.

I would like to get out on Cam more. We did Montgomery Pass a few seasons ago. It was ok, the conditions were awful. Super cold, foggy goggles, no one could see. I've seen footage of much better looking terrain there. Thanks Schralptowners...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:20 am 

Quote:
would like to get out on Cam more. We did Montgomery Pass a few seasons ago. It was ok, the conditions were awful. Super cold, foggy goggles, no one could see. I've seen footage of much better looking terrain there.

Lets hook up this winter and ride Cameron pass area. I was going to scout some lines in the Clark peak area today but it did not happen. Image

Sorry about the thread drift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:36 pm 

I'm down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:

Yeah that doesn't exactly look like optimal; skinning conditions. :)

I was just stating that board carry isn't as important now that we splitboard as it was when we snowshoed. That's no excuses though for BD to make a pack with a sub-par system.

Killclimbz wrote:
Don't ever question me again... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:04 pm 

I agree that I don't use it as much. Sometimes a week or two worth of outings. But with the continental divide being part of the scene here, I will need it and it will need to work well. So I find it necessary to have a pack that has a decent board carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:50 pm 

powder_tracker wrote:
Hey Jim...

Kinda feelin' like an ass. I just reread my post from this morning, and I've got to say I came off as, well, an ass. :oops: :x :oops:
I think for now on I will have my coffee before checking the internet :lol:

Thats awesome that you got your Avalung at such a great deal! 8) :D

No prob man, actually I'm kinda glad you posted the original response, I didn't want anyone to think I was actually suggesting that they should try that! :shock: I did luck out in getting that deal.

Ecobrad wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, Eco I got yer back too! But when we gonna ride??

So many mountains, so little time.

I'm trying to get down to Kernville to ride the Plunge with Tommy, you in interested? 20 something miles of downhill singletrack. Not sure if there are any houses to jump? :wink:

I guess I'll bring the little bike then. :) Yeah, let's talk offline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next