Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile skins or other?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 pm 

Hi folks, I'm new to the board ... currently gearing up all the stuff I'm going to need to start getting into splitting. Planning on chopping a great condition 2001 model Burton Supermodel 159 for my first splitter very soon.

Question:
Voile skins or another brand?
They've got a $25 coupon right now on their online store, so that's about $125 for the set. I read on the Splitboard 101 page that Voile uses the purple Ascension stuff, but those skins pictured online do not look purple.

Another guy on here posted stuff by Climbing Skins Direct, which would be about $90 for the set. Those are supposedly the the purple Ascension stuff, with a custom backing to keep the fibers at correct angle. But no rivets on loop.

Tradeoffs? Does it matter? Recommendations? Thanks ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:57 pm 

I would definitely recommended the Voile skins. I've had mine for 3 seasons and they're still rockin'. I rarely have any issues with them not stickin' even though there is no tail clip. I personally don't like the tail clip because you have to either cut a notch in the board or use a piece of cord to keep the clip attached. A buddy of mine had a pair of G3 skins and it seemed like he was always having problems with the glue not sticking after the second or third trip back up the mountain.

As far as I know, the Voile skins are the only ones that are already cut for a splitboard.

Quote:
I read on the Splitboard 101 page that Voile uses the purple Ascension stuff, but those skins pictured online do not look purple.

They used to be purple. Now they're orange.

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:36 am 

not the coulur is importand....

look at the material speci.

3 difrent .... monhair , syntetic , and mixed ( monhair+ syntetic)

the best is monhair :wink:

a good monhair skinn is from COLLTEX because expensive

i yoused allway s mixed - cheap and light... for me it is ok...

burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:45 am 

To extend what Powder tracker said, Voile uses the ascension material from Black Diamond. two seasons or so ago, BD changed from purple to orange, so, by extension so did Voile. I am not aware of any other changes.

To find out if you are getting the best deal, first measure the width of your board to find out the minimum width of skin that will do the job (remembering to subtract the width of the edge, and any material the saw will remove while splitting). then, go shop for skins that will be wide enough, and see if you can find a skin kit for a cheaper price. Finally, decide if you are comfortable w/o the riveted tip clips for any difference in price.

Bingo, a simple formula to decide if the Voile skins are worth it, or if you can get a better deal elsewhere. :) Personally, I think you'll probably find the Voile skins worthwhile.

Shep