Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 pm 

eh, even if I had brought a camera, I was too busy draggin' ass along.

Mammoth opened 3 new FR trails on the 15th.
Could a rally be in the works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:17 pm 

mtnrider wrote:
Mammoth opened 3 new FR trails on the 15th.
Could a rally be in the works?

Are those the ones that they had on last year's map as "new trails"? So they actually built them and opened them this year?? Might have to check that out... could be a rally happening! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 am 

Ill vouch for Eco. Had a real bike. Turner i believe.....

Yeah i got the fucking shft last thursday......THe big thing i was looking foward to in Tahoe was biking Toad's and it didnt happen :(

The Story:

Wednesday nite Pick up a nice new Heckler from the shop. Ride it back to the hotel and notice the rear rotor is fucked so i go back and they give me this cool german bike "Bionicon". Ride it home but get no further when i notice the rear wheel is kinda "Clanking"...Go back and some spokes are completely loose. Guy at the shop just tightens them and the wheel is so out of true its laughable. Guy looks at me and say "Fuck it. Go have some fun." This is when i should have said no thanx and gone somewhere else.

Thursday. Wife drops me off wth Eco and MtnRider. We drive on over to the trailhead and gear up. Oh, this is right after i find out my bank fucked up about $1k in my account...since been fixed. So the day is already bad, but i get to ride so im stoked! So we gear up and start up the paved road that heads up and up and up t the pass. Exactly 10 minutes in my chan breaks...on a paved road. Fix the chain and keep going. About 5 minutes later it breaks again. So now im 4 links down and about 18miles to go. Things are not looking good. (normally i would have had some spare links in my pack but my pack was in NJ) I make the call to fix the tran and TRY and ride back into town. No way i want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a broken rental. Not to mention Brad and Tommy have been puttng up with ti for a while and i felt bad. Good chaps those 2....

So i turn around and ride back to Pioneer trail. Chain is fine. I make it to within 100yds of Al Tahoe Blvd ot somthing and get a FLAT TIRE....on a paved road....wth a 2.5 rear tire....on a paved road. So I thumb it back to the shop and they take the bike and back and dont charge me. The dude was actually really cool and felt awful. He offered to lend me his personal bike, but it was already around 1:30 and i didnt know where to go.

I then go back to the hotel where i then got really sick for the rest of the night. Fever. Upset stomach. Cant puke but wanna. awful.

Summary. Somthing really didnt want me to ride that trail.

So yeah, ill be back for sure!

Other than that i had a great honeymoon!

Skied hood last Sunday too....
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm 

Oh man, that is an epic story of suckage if I ever heard one! If it makes you feel any better... Toad's is a great trail, you missed out on a great ride. Oh wait, that probably didn't make you feel any better... :)

Which shop did you rent from? That's totally lame service. Those rentals should be tuned up, tested, and ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:40 pm 

jimw wrote:

Which shop did you rent from? That's totally lame service. Those rentals should be tuned up, tested, and ready to go.

Sierra Ski Works....right by the Safeway.

I agree. Thought that shit would be ready to rip....instead, it only fucked up my whole day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:27 pm 

Affix snow: That's fucking awful!! Glad to hear you had a good trip otherwise, hopefully that didn't leave too nasty a taste in your mouth for Tahoe.

Just started getting back into the saddle myself, did HITG last week for the first time....what a blast of a trail! Very well maintained on the climbs up to Andesite peak and just enough obstacles to keep your attention on the remaining miles....the final 4 miles are a perfect cool down.

solo style shots:

There must be some fun lines on castle pk.
Quite a few of 30 degree slabs for high marking off the trail.
and you can't forget the most epic stream crossings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:58 pm 

Being a South Lake local, you might want to rent a bike from Kent at Watta Bike in Meyers. No Bullshit with this guy. I have been to every shop in South Lake....DON'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE. Watta Bike is the perfect place for the shuttle run of Toads. Give him a call and he can help with all aspects of biking....530-544-7700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:51 pm 

Quote:
Those rentals should be tuned up, tested, and ready to go.

That's what I'm saying. Come on, it takes 10-minutes to look a bike over and tune it up. Complete bullshit. I'm just gald he didn't get stranded further away from civilization and have to push that piece of shit bike out.

Good meetin ya, Affix. Maybe next time we'll get some turns, s/t or powder, makes no difference to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:23 am 

Ecobrad wrote:

Good meetin ya, Affix. Maybe next time we'll get some turns, s/t or powder, makes no difference to me.

Same and same!!!!

Ill be back out for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:06 am 

So... you know that feeling you get when you finally get to ride a line or summit a peak that you've had on your list for years?

Well last week I got that seem feeling, but for a mtn bike goal I've had on the list for a while. See, there are these two big road gap jumps on one of the local trails that I've been eyeing for the last couple years. Never thought I'd do anything like that, but I've been slowly building up to bigger jumps. And last week it all came together. I was feeling it, and went for it... and hit them cleanly! Stoked!!

Only nobody was around to verify the truth of my claim. :) Doh! So last weekend I hooked up with some other local SC huckers, and one of them has a friend who is a real photographer. He came out with all his toys and took some pics. The fisheye lens is cool but distorts the size of the jumps. They were big. In fact, I had to bust out the Shart Shorts (tm):

Sometimes even a low-light-fast-action-hating point-n-shoot can get a cool shot, by accident:

Other links:
  • Non-pro pics from the same day, also some showing the photographer.
  • Full gallery of the real pics from the day
  • Some crappy video clips from the point-n-shoot, featuring an ultra-sketchy wheelie landing on one of the drops at the end :)

Later that same day, swanny from sb.com paid a visit from LA (met him a few months ago on the TPR trip), and he got to sample some of the best local singletrack. He was stoked that he got to "use all the travel" on his new fork. :)

P.S. Jib - I found a new "wall" for you. This one rivals yours for sure. And I've seen it done so I know it's possible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:39 pm 

Ah yes! The Wall. Only got halfway up it this morning. Nice huckin' going on there dude! I'll get some pictures of the HUGE gap jump up here. Sorry you missed that when you were up here.
If this damn heat would go away, I could get some more LONG rides in. Ja surf and myself got to do a ride (I think I posted about it awhile ago - it's since been removed to protect the innocent) that I've been wanting to do for many years. Did several versions of it recently. I still want my full 10,000 ft./43 miles in 10 hours instead of 12 though...
Screw this damn heat!
I just got my Katadyn Water Bottle Microfilter from REI today. That should eleviate the need to stash water for my all day backcountry rides. Can't wait to use it.
Only 8 weeks 'till Fall!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:29 pm 

SICK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:57 pm 

Excellent Jim, that must be a darn huge jump if you had to bust out the Sharts.

I need to get up there and follow behind ya...

I hit up Mammoth last weekend...we need to meet up.

PJ????? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next