Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:11 am 

Iridepow-
I was with that group. See the dude in the 3rd pic standing on the summit in the orange hot pants? That's me. (Unfortunately I can't respond to that post because the lazy-ass admins at TGR have me shut off from posting for some unknown reason even though I registered almost a year ago...and they haven't responded to my numerous emails...if you know how to get a hold of them please let me know!)

The couloir is doable except for the first 30 feet. It was a very steep angle with scarce coverage. The crux was 16 inches wide at best. We thought about both sideslipping on a heel edge, or even turning in and downclimbing in boots...both seemed very dangerous (and considering Thrillhead was setting up to film the line, it would have looked very gaper!)

Roped belay would have been perfect. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing a rope. In the future it would be wise for the group to carry a 60 foot rope and at least one harness simply for lowering into situations like this one. It would also have made more sense to climb the couloir first from the bottom, at least then we could have descended it.

I didn't take a straight on pic of the couloir from the top, only video...sorry. Also, it is not a true-north facing...more northeast facing. By the time we got up there the snow was already getting very baked.

On the plus side, the climb up the backside of the mountain was epic! I'll have a TR later on tonight.

Kjkrow-I hadn't figured for any epic skiing on Sherman. A friend of mine is on a personal quest to "bag all the 14ers in a lifetime", and I usually join him on one or two per summer. Sherman is one of the trips that I made a committment to join him on. Its a class 2 but i'm bringing the split anyways just for fun.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:14 am 

Too bad the line did not go.
Yeah, you gotta go back another time. That couloir looks definitely very nice.

HikeforTurns and I got denied yesterday as well on Savage Mountain. There must have been a serious temperature inversion going on Saturday night in that region. The snow at the trailhead was solid frozen and at around 13,000ft the snow was bottomless slush.
In addition we got into a lightning danger zone (our snowboards were buzzing for a while) so we were just happy to make it down again in one piece. (The thunderstorms started real early yesterday.)
HikeforTurns will put up a TR in the next few days.

One of the forum admins at TGR is "The Suit".
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85182

You could try to send him directly an email or PM. However if you can not log in that might not work. But you could have a friend PM him or let me know if you need me to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:10 pm 

Dam Iride, I was wondering how your day went yesterday. I think I am happy that I bailed on the attempt and went climbing instead. We got nailed by thunderstorms late ourselves. Though it wasn't nearly as serious as what you experienced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:58 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Dam Iride, I was wondering how your day went yesterday. I think I am happy that I bailed on the attempt and went climbing instead. We got nailed by thunderstorms late ourselves. Though it wasn't nearly as serious as what you experienced.

Yeah, it was scary as hell!
TR here: http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85394

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 am 

Kj, I'm still interested in going for Torrey's NW face this season. Maybe this weekend, maybe not.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:30 pm 

Luca,

Sweet ... I'm planning on it for this Friday (or maybe Saturday) ... if neither of those work for you, I could push it back till next Tuesday (I think).

Let me know what works best for you. I just hit Democrat today and am heading back up for Quandary tomorrow morning, so I can't check back till about 4 tomorrow afternoon.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR