Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Crampons Cramping My Style
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 pm 

Fellow Splitters - I'm pretty happy with how my Voile crampons work, but pretty unhappy when I see JimW reach behind his back, grab his Burton crampons, steathly install them on the fly and keep cruising, while i'm on my knees struggling to get that dang pin to go thru 6 holes which aren't always exactly lined up. OK, they may have a little better engagement in the snow, but Jim's gone! :cry: ... and then I hesitate to take them off, even when I should be gliding, because I don't want to hassle with them again.

I'm sure some of you have explored improvements - please post here. I'm not going to rest until i've got something that can be installed in 30 sec or less ('cause that's how long it takes JimW - bastard :shock: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 pm 

I am curious to know this as well. I don't have the Voile crampns (yet), but was wondering how much of a pain it was to install and uninstall them. I have an older Burton set-up and although I don't like the binding interface the crampon interface is great. Speaking of which I'll probably be putting said Burton up for sale on the near future if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:33 pm 

I had exactly the same bad feeling with Voilè crampons, plus they weight a lot . I solved this issue with B&D ‘s crampons as you can see in my posts in the splitboard review section. The only drawback is that they don't work with the heel-lifter without making some other modification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:10 am 

Sorry Steve, but you know I need every advantage I can find for my slow-skinning ass. Plus I make up for that speed savings when transitioning and dealing with iced up Burton interface parts, or fixing whatever part of the day decided to fall off or break. :)

If you're really intent on taking away this one last source of skinning pleasure from me, check out bruno's mod, or Will's (I mean Sparky?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:32 pm 

Great information - thanks Bruno. I did not know about B&D ski gear.

JimW - I haven't noticed much slow skinning from you, BUT, take it from ME, if it feels slow, check the direction of your skins. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 pm 

I agree with you Steve, those Voile crampons suck. The are such a pain to put on that I probably went two miles using them uneccessarily last weekend because I even though I would need them only for short sections I didn't want to stop and take them on and off. I was pretty envious of those Burton crampons.

Karma Surf said Voile may develop drop-in crampons for us... next year, I hope! With such crappy traversing capabilities, splitters need all the help we can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:57 am 

I am for one, one of those people that really like the Burton interface, and the way the crampons hook on are fantastic. Yeay, yeah yeah, I know, snow gets clogged in the rings making it a bitch getting the interface back together, but I have had good luck spraying the peices with WD40, and that helps a little.
I also am a fan of how the skins attach to the board, but the skins them selves do suck.... Too bad I am not smart enough to figure out a way to "make" a better skin work the same way.

But heck, what do I know, I only have a Burton board with the Burton interface....

Bleah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:54 am 

Otto wrote:
I am for one, one of those people that really like the Burton interface, and the way the crampons hook on are fantastic. Yeay, yeah yeah, I know, snow gets clogged in the rings making it a bitch getting the interface back together, but I have had good luck spraying the peices with WD40, and that helps a little.

Another thing I've tried is Pam cooking spray. Works pretty well and doesn't smell as bad as WD-40.

Quote:
I also am a fan of how the skins attach to the board, but the skins them selves do suck.... Too bad I am not smart enough to figure out a way to "make" a better skin work the same way.

Yep, those Burton skins suck. I recommend Black Diamond Guidelite STS skins. I was able to make a simple mod for those to work on the Burton, and they work great. Process described here:

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3461

The one other thing I liked about the Burton skin attachment system was that you could put the skins on with the board halves together in board mode. Marginally useful sometimes... but I'll take the BD skins over losing that capability any day!

Quote:
But heck, what do I know, I only have a Burton board with the Burton interface....

I think you and I might be the only ones left. We should start a club. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:51 pm 

jimw wrote:
Another thing I've tried is Pam cooking spray. Works pretty well and doesn't smell as bad as WD-40.

I have not tried PAM, but I'll give that a shot. The smell of WD40 does not bother me much, but I know what youare saying.

Quote:
Yep, those Burton skins suck. I recommend Black Diamond Guidelite STS skins. I was able to make a simple mod for those to work on the Burton, and they work great. Process described here:

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3461

The one other thing I liked about the Burton skin attachment system was that you could put the skins on with the board halves together in board mode. Marginally useful sometimes... but I'll take the BD skins over losing that capability any day!

Yeah I looked at that post. and thats pretty cool. I might try something like that, but attempt to retain the Burton tail clip from the stock skins, and drill out the rivets on the nose side of the skin and re rivet them onto a new skin. That way I do not have to make the notch mod you did. But your set up looks like it works just as well...

Yeah, I guess it is cool to be able to attach the skins while in board mode, but for the life of me I cannot think of a situation where this is a benefit...

And this weekend remids me that I NEED to do this soon. Those damn skins froze up pretty bad, and I had to rely on the crampon for traction once I was over 8'000 on Mt. Hoods Palmer glacier... That was teh suck!

Quote:
I think you and I might be the only ones left. We should start a club. :)

Haha, There HAS to be more people that still use the old interface out there.. Maybe a club is in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:44 pm 

Otto wrote:
Yeah I looked at that post. and thats pretty cool. I might try something like that, but attempt to retain the Burton tail clip from the stock skins, and drill out the rivets on the nose side of the skin and re rivet them onto a new skin. That way I do not have to make the notch mod you did. But your set up looks like it works just as well...

I really like the STS attachment, it's very secure. Making the Burton tail notch wider was easy. If you wanted to, you could probably get skins w/o the STS attachment, and just use the Burton one, folding the skin over itself. One think about the STS is that it is easily adjustable to different lengths so you can use the same pair of skins w/multiple boards. I guess you can do that with the Burton tail as well but it slightly more hassle.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it is cool to be able to attach the skins while in board mode, but for the life of me I cannot think of a situation where this is a benefit...

I just found that sometimes it was slightly easier when transitioning to keep the board in board mode while putting on the skins, then split it after the skins are on. Not a big deal though.