Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR - Pikes Peak North Bowl - 22 April 07
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:49 pm 

Saturday's forecast was for partly cloudy skies early, turning to thunderstorms and snow in the late evening. It seemed like a good idea, so I drove to Glen Cove and skinned up towards Little Italy. At the boot, I stopped to dig my pit, finding some old layers, but nothing threatening; though the surface was slick hardpack. Not wanting to commit to the couloir in new boots, I opted for a short climb up a slope to the right, then headed down to the car. My camera batteries died, so no pics from Saturday. Also, not sure if it was just the new boots, or something else, but my board didn't feel dialed right.

After a fresh coat of wax, a few small binding changes, and 3-5 inches of snow at altitude, I drove back up on Sunday morning with my girlfriend Darcy to find the Bowl in perfect shape.

The Colorado Mountain Club was conducting an alpine school all weekend, with a small team climbing the Garbage Chute here.

They were conducting beacon searches, some self arresting in the apron shown. Little Italy can also be seen as the most defined strip of snow.

We were able to skin/snowshoe up about a third of the bowl, then it was time to boot.

Darcy glissaded the first run down the west fork of the bowl.

Coming down above her glissade track.

Further down.

My middle third of the bowl from above ....

and below.

After finishing out the first run, she drove me up to 15-Mile (where the road was closed) and I hiked the road to drop in for a second run on the east side of the bowl while she hiked out to a switch back to take pictures. Here's run 1 from the road (and part of my side view mirror).

Summit from the road.

Untouched east bowl from just below the road cut.

Looking back up from Glen Creek pullout.

And some fun shadows on the slope.

Beautiful weather with fresh snow (albeit a bit thick in the afternoon) made for a great day. The snowclimb was awesome, and a great intro for Darcy that we both enjoyed immensely.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:47 am 

Good Job, Way to get some! FnA I love April! It always seems to produce amazing TRs on great terrain.

Post subject: Re: TR - Pikes Peak North Bowl - 22 April 07
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:03 am 

Nice turns!

Great shot:
kjkrow wrote:
And some fun shadows on the slope.

Post subject: Re: TR - Pikes Peak North Bowl - 22 April 07
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 am 

IridePow wrote:
Nice turns!

Great shot:

Thanks ... but I can't take too much credit. My girlfriend's camera is much nicer than mine and she captured a great series of shadows and sun on my track. I think the one I posted is the best, but there were about 10 all with different lighting and focus areas that look really nice.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR