Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - AT boots inbounds?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AT boots inbounds?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:02 pm 

Has anyone tried riding inbounds with a pair of AT boots? Im possibly going to be patroling next year, and I was thinking plate bindings would be alot faster to get in and out of, plus the AT boots would probably last longer than soft boots..plus they would probably hike alot better in icey conditions than soft boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:54 am 

I ride my TLT4's inbounds all the time. Piloted my new 192 Rad-Air Tanker Sunday inbounds @ Stevens Pass. You have all the control you could ever need, kick steps anywhere, crampon up easily, tour your split with confidence, and surf the snow anytime!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:12 am 

JD
got a quick question for ya.
the TLT4's you got are they with 2 or 3 straps? if 2 do you wish you had the third?

looks like the best boot, ive researched.

Post subject: Norway....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:58 pm 

TLT4's I have are 3 buckle boots. That said, the toe buckle is almost worthless. I use a booster strap around the cuffs of the liners, too, so they are fairly stiff in ride mode. Very light, 3 lbs per boot all told. A fair amount of people ride in these.

Post subject: AT Boots inbounds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:16 pm 

I switch it up all the time. Carving groomers in AT boots is a blast. They absolutely hike better.You get to keep your toe nails when kicking steps. Are you going to patrol on a snowboard? SICK! :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 pm 

yo jd,
what binders do you rock with those tlt4s? any issues with the sorta small toe cut out? i thought i had read of some complaints with those toes not meshing well with some hard boot bindings.
peace,
david

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 am 

I am using Snowpro Race bindings. I am happier with the toe bail/boot interface as compared to Bomber TD's. May just be me, I like the TD2's w/my snowboard hard boots better than the Snowpro's. Fit with the Snowpro binding is real nice, bails in the back fit the boot well, and the toe bail lever is perfect in the boot ledge in the front. Like it was made for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:54 am 

I seldom ride in resort, but when I do I sometimes go hard boot. The Dupraz D1 especially kicks arse on a groomer day in hardboots. Standard freeride boards also carve way nicer than in softs. But if jibbing is your thing then you might understandably find then unsuitable.

Jon - interesting to hear about your binding (Snopro) being a good match with the stubbier Dynafit toe - its always been my concern. Dynafit make the most streamlined boot. I like the Scarpa Matrix, but it is bulkier than needed.

How is the flex of the Snopro binding? One thing I like about the Voile plate is the forgiving flex in the structure (which also adds a modicum of additional lateral leeway and surf to the naturally stiffer hard boot set up). For no-splitting I have some basic Pogo plate bindings. They are so much stiffer than the voile plates.

Where does one talk hardboot snoboarding these days? Bomber OL? Is BC chatter accepted there, or is it strictly carving talk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:59 pm 

Not a lot of b.c. chatter on BOL, though it probably is the place to go for hardboot riders. The Snowpro's are stiffer than Voile mtn. plates, couldn't rate them against Pogo, have never seen them in person, let alone ride them. They are probably inbetween Bomber TD2 and the Snowpro as far as stiffness goes. Snowpro's have more plastic in them than Pogo's do. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:21 pm 

I currently use Nuptses, but they aren't cutting it, I don't jib a lot, definitly NEVER in the park and dont spend much time on groomers, I want a boot to basically freeride big mountain with, I like dropping stuff, and spinning occationally od natural features BC, is an AT boot w/ plate bindings gonna feel like I cant' flex sideways( as in towards the tip and tail) of the board, ar they forgivng at all???? I am considering making the switch, any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:03 pm 

cliffhucker wrote:
...is an AT boot w/ plate bindings gonna feel like I cant' flex sideways( as in towards the tip and tail) of the board, ar they forgivng at all???? I am considering making the switch, any advice would be appreciated.

I rode hardboots for a few years, then switched to soft boots. Today, I decided to try out the AT boots (Dynafit TLTs) again with the idea of some spring mountaineering coming up. YIKES... I made the decission today that I will ski rather than board when I need hardboots (eg cramponing). I just can't go back. For me, they are uncomfortable, stiff as heck, and I get very limited control using toes and ankles. I get so much more control with the soft boots...and they feel damn good in pow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:51 am 

If speedy in/out is a big part of your concern, look at flows or K2 Cinchs. On my old flows (which admittedly, are pretty uncomfortable), I can often get my back foot in while sliding on the flat area just off the lift... Ask the other patrollers what soft boots hike well in icy conditions (I think a lot of people like Drivers).

When I've used plate bindings, they actually take a bit more time due to having to line up the heel bail well before clipping the toe bail, but that's probably a lack of practice.

Shep