Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:03 pm 

jibmaster wrote:
I don't own a gun, but certain members of the Coastal Crest Snow Patrol carry. We ski in one of the remotest areas in the lower 48. Large packs of coyotes, lots of bears and you never know when you will come across some crazy redneck - all of them are packin' for sure.

I would love to get a gun. Most of the time I'm skiing by myself. I'll tell you a little story.
Now I know that picking up strangers is not wise, but several years ago I was driving down the M1 just below Boardman Ridge at Hull Mt. Just another weekly solo adventure. I see this guy walking down the road. In the back of my mind, I was telling myself to keep driving. But he was thumbing for a ride. If I needed a ride on that lonely road, I sure hope someone would pick me up. Right? This whole time his left hand is stuck in the pocket of his jacket. As he walks around the front of the Jeep and opens the passenger door, his left hand still hasn't come out of his pocket.
My eyes are glued to his pocketed left hand and my foot is twitching on the gas peddle...

Did you cut to commercial break jibmaster, what happened after that!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:58 pm 

damian wrote:
Not ever questioning anyone's right to do as they want, especially in their own country. Just reeling in shock a little bit - like I said, its a cultural thing. I didn't expect to see a gun in a TR about BC touring. Nor am I questioning the status quo of gun ownership in the US. I only point out that in some parts of the world what is considered normal in country A is at the same time seen as pretty unexpected and strange in country B.

Like you suggested - just don't look in your threads if I don't wanna see violent weapons. Fair call.

do you carry a knife? pocket knife? multi-tool in the backcountry? what is the difference?

"violent weapons", beer, snowmachines, splitboards... oh my!

and the best part is i'm 100% german. here is a wonderful thread on this very topic over at ttips.. maybe your views on america and gun ownership might make a bigger impression on somebody: http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33322

hey jibmaster, where is the 2nd half?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:10 pm 

Quote:
do you carry a knife? pocket knife? multi-tool in the backcountry? what is the difference?

Are you serious? I use a multitool to fix things that break. I cant beleive you asked that question.

Quote:
"violent weapons", beer, snowmachines, splitboards... oh my!

No, I was just talking about you and your gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:25 pm 

:lol: I should probably finish the story even though it really has no point.
Had a pet emergency.
So there I am staring at his left hand still in his pocket as the redneck opens the passenger door. Before entering the Jeep he pulls out this enormous handgun. He then proceeds to take the bullets out before getting in the Jeep. What a relief! As he's doing this, he says, "Just to be on the safe side - wouldn't want you to think I's gonna kill ya."
We had an intertaining ride down to the Soda Creek Store. He saw me looking at his left hand and I 'knew' he had a gun. So I'm telling him he scared the shit out of me and we both laughed and laughed all the way down the mountain. When we got down to the lake, he even let me try a few shots. Crazyass redneck!
The end.
Sorry to hijack your TR thread dude.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:49 pm 

Looks like a fun day JP and STE! 8)

Here's to a refill of the blower and bluebird hopefully coming your way. :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:49 am 

Grew up a hunter, spent many days in the woods. Cant imagine why you would shoot at a pack of coyotes. Every time I find them in my trash a swift kick in their direction sends them running like roches when you turn on the lights. Now mountain lions is a whole different ball game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:52 pm 

Damian,

The right to carry firearms into the national forest and fire them in a safe and orderly manner is our rights as americans. If you don't like it, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Just don't criticise something that you were not raised to understand. And don't act like the people from "country B" are a bunch of peace-loving, flower sniffing, anti-gun hippies because we all know that this is not the case. Your criticism of our rights only highlights your ignorance. If you don't like "country A" because of our gun laws then you just stay in "country B" and we will keep all this beautifull "country A" powder to ourselves. :wink:

PS. No, I'm not some crazed right wing republican who sleeps with a gun and luvs GW. I just think we should uphold the rights we still have while we still have 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:53 pm 

Hey, where is that on 285? Dont have to give away the stash I'm just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:22 pm 

up near kenosha pass, also some good stuff near grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:56 am 

Love this thread -one question though arent most of us males packin a pistol in our pants anyways? :twisted: These guys just like to pull it out around other guys :twisted: :lol: might be the beer that brings it out...