Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS w/topo?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:08 am 

Tried searching, but couldn't really find anything. Wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a handheld gps? Using digital rather than paper would be nice and the ability to log waypoints, routes, vertical, etc. etc. would be nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:14 am 

I do all my GPS stuff (splitting, riding, mountain biking, hiking) with a Etrex Vista CX, it's the most complete GPS for the less $$$.

I think the small diffrence with a Map 60CSX isn't worth the extra money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:05 pm 

BigJay wrote:
I do all my GPS stuff (splitting, riding, mountain biking, hiking) with a Etrex Vista CX, it's the most complete GPS for the less $$$.

I think the small diffrence with a Map 60CSX isn't worth the extra money.

I do the same as BJ above. I have the same Garmin Etrex Vista CX and I also got the Garmin Entire US Topo cd's (~$120) to load onto the unit and a 1 GB memory card (~$40) so I can fit tons of stuff on the GPS.

Dr. Koko here on SB has the Map 60CSX and it works well too. You can't really go wrong with either of those.

There is an example of how what you can collect with this combo on the scrubfest TR that I put up.

Just be warned, it does up the nerd factor. But it's nice to know as long as you have batteries and leg function you can get home. 2 AA's seem to last about 10-12 hours on my Etrex, longer if I turn it off when I don't care what data I collect etc...

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 pm 

2 AA bateries will last a day in the cold... In summer, i can do 3.5 complete days on the same batteries.

I agree that the nerd factor goes up... But i also design bike trails... This tool is a must when you need to know where you are and on who's property.

During winter, i use it to map some good spots in the woods... just the top part of the open area... Pretty fun... I also use it to know exactly how many feet i climbed during a day.

Check out the TR i put up in December:
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3109

I took the info straight from the GPS and then drew a map of it all... Pretty fun also... quick and easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:04 am 

Sweet looking graphs. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Distance vs. elevation plots.

How's signal reception on them? Do you just keep them in the top compartment of a backpack? or?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 am 

I put it on the top compartement of my backpack. Completely closed so no snow gets to the unit. It can handle it... But i prefer keeping it clean. Even with tree coverage, i never loss the signal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:28 am 

the quad helix receiving antenna (see, how nerdy is that!! SO SWEET) on my GPS allows me to track my position even when the GPS unit is buried in my backpack. this is one nice feature of having the super duper high sensitivity WAAS enabled GPS unit with the quad helix super duper antenna.

the drawback is that it is bigger, bulkier, and takes more juice. but i'm liking mine, its got all the bells and whistles. UB's GPS is sweet too, its smaller and lighter, and possibly because of this, he hangs it on the outside of his pack. its quickly accessible, and the map data is no different than mine.

i have a 1gb memory card as well, and it stores plenty of maps. i have street and topo information for almost the entire mountain west and west coast.

btw, i got my memory here. super cheap, fast service.
http://www.dz-tech.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:35 pm 

so what mapping software will 'talk' with the Etrex GPS unit and allow one to map where you've gone skiing/hiking?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:41 pm 

skinjob wrote:
so what mapping software will 'talk' with the Etrex GPS unit and allow one to map where you've gone skiing/hiking?

Scott

I use Garmin Mapsource Software. When I get to the trailhead, I turn on my GPS, reset a few things (a few pushes of a button) and it keeps track of the rest automatically. Get back to the trailhead turn it off. Drive home, hook it up to the USB port, download my "Tracks" from the GPS and that's it. It can do so much more and I'm still learning how to use it.

Go to this thread, about half way down I posted a few images I pulled from the Mapsource software from out Teton tour.

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3416

It's super easy to do. I can also superimpose the route on Goggle earth with one click from the Mapsourse software.

Garmin is the best IMHO.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:09 pm 

What's Goggle Earth? Is that like steep and cheap for goggles?

I have a garmin etrex legend , love it. Topo lines at 24k scale , everything you need. I use ArcGIS software to look at the tracks , export to Google Earth .KML files for sharing.

Post subject: Re: GPS w/topo?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 pm 

i'm looking into getting one of these. any recommendations? last post in this thread was in 2007. i assume there's a bunch of you with experience with more recent models.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:48 pm 

I have the Garmin eTrex Vista CX like most the other posters above. Great handheld GPS. The new version is the Vista HCX, it has better reception. Buy the topomap cd's or microSD and you don't even need to make waypoints. Just look at the map.

Garmin has some other options like the Oregon and Colorado versions. I haven't played with them, but I'm sure they're fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 pm 

The 62 series would be my choice for a personal gps unit, but the etrex is probably fine for recreational use.

We have the Rinos for work, kinda cool to be able to transmit your location to other units, and if your riding partners are using FRS/GRMS radios, you can communicate with the Rino and save some weight.