Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 167 Neversummer Summit....SPLIT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:42 pm 

Just got back from the Neversummer factory where the Blaho's have been working on a Neversummer Summit Split for me the past month. It came out 'effin SWEET! So psyched to put this wood to snow tomorrow on Berthoud Pass!!! 8)

It came out amazing. Heritage graphics with the Neversummer Bear carrying the Colorado Flag, Colorado Flag Neversummer base, and Mustard Ptex sidewalls. I'll put a review after I get to test it tomorrow. Here are some pics.
and of course the mark of Neversummer quality...oh yeah.

I guess the issues that were had with the NS Summit were due to stance requests by commanderbaker as to why it wouldn't work. As long as you want a set back it'll work fine.

I got first! :P Who's got next??? :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:03 pm 

Psyched for you that you got it now finally!
I am sure lot's of people are going to be interested to hear how it rides.

Have fun tomorrow at Berthoud and shred some of that deep pow up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:50 am 

Looks good. It was me, UB, that almost got the summit split, not CB.

Let us know how it skins when the going gets steep and soft. My concern was that you won't have enough tail and it will wheelie when breaking trail or skinning in the soft. But I'm 210 lbs, so if you are lighter it may not be an issue. I know it will slay the soft going down, but splitting you spend most of your time skinning, so I took the conservative route and went with something I knew would skin well. Maybe I f'ed up?

I have had experience on a board with the touring brakets mounted further back (1"+) than normal, and it wheelied and the tail sunk and slid out when skinning in steep soft snow. The summit has the touring brackets something like 4" or more back from typical, so I was concerned. Having the touring brackets too far back may also make kick turns tricky, as the extra tip length may make it front heavy and make it tough to bring the uphill ski around (when your heel needs to come up, a front heavy board will tend to make the tail raise up to the heel). That's what kept me from moving forward with the summit as my split, it's a powder board after all, so it will see lots of soft steep skin tracks.

Let me know if I'm wrong, maybe I'll pull the trigger on one next year. So far I'm happy with my Titan though. I'm actually hoping NS makes a less extreme tapered board soon, I've been bugging Bently to bug the NS designers to make something with 6-8mm taper, and a big nose (but not as big as the Summit), and without the stance set back as far as the summit. The summit looks like a killer pow board, but I'm hoping for something a more subtle shape to come out of NS soon.

Enjoy it KC, looks gross!

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am 

mustard ptex sidewalls, mmmh.

Sick F'in ride! Love the topsheet too. Bust out some action shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:33 pm 

Well no issues skinning today. I did break some trail in some pretty steep soft stuff today. No issues, but no serious kickturns either. I was able to work the terrain to my advantage. I weight over 220lb so a good test wouldn't you think? The touring brackets are back a bit, but I have seen several powder skis with a similar AT setup. You do have far more tip than tail. The long skins that the Blaho's set you up with probably negate a bit of the problem you are concerned about. With the short skins, I might have had some issues today. So far I am pleased with it 100%. HikeforTurns has the action pics, I'll be bugging him for the pics. Probably have them up on Monday. It is definitely a powder slayin' machine.

Post subject: Never Summer Split
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:10 pm 

Congrats. Stoked for you. Anything NS is cream of the crop. Many Happy Turns! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:59 am 

Thanks everyone! :D

Yeah, I am very pleased with it so far.

Unruly, I forgot to mention. Bentley said that as it turned out the touring brackets ended up dead center on the "sweet" spot on the ski. So even with the longer ski it should be ok. I'll give you more feed back once I get 5-6 days on her if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:18 am 

So far no issues with the skinnin'. I took her out on Buffalo Pass last weekend. Had to break trail all day, threw in a few kick turns and steep slopes. Climbed like a champ. So far I have not had any issues with the set back on the touring brackets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:34 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
So far no issues with the skinnin'. I took her out on Buffalo Pass last weekend. Had to break trail all day, threw in a few kick turns and steep slopes. Climbed like a champ. So far I have not had any issues with the set back on the touring brackets.

Do a bracketed test. Go skin and break trail on the Summit, then same day/same snow do it on another more "typical" board. Then I'll be sold.

Sorry, I'm a skeptic. :wink:

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:39 am 

sick board. I'm jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:55 am 

Love the quality and graphics...never understand the shapes.

As long as it works for you that's all that matters though! Congrats on a sick ride! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 am 

I questioned the shape too, but when I rode one it was really, really good. Long pow nose and the tapered/extened tail works in pow. No leg burn, the tails drops in the pow just right to keep the nose up and on hardpack it still rails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:18 pm 

bcr - Next time we are out together you have to take a lap on my 164 Titan because I'd be really interested in knowing what you think of it. Far and away the funnest board I've ever ridden, although my experience is still somewhat limited.