Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shasta 06/07
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 am 

Went for a day trip up green on Saturday 12/30. Boilerplate conditions above treeline, breakable crust below treeline. Saw a few pockets of wind-deposited snow above treeline but they were out of reach. Also a nice avy crown in sun bowl from earlier in the week. Good coverage though. Forecast looks good for end of week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 am 

Thanks for starting this thread K Dan. We were at Green B on Sunday with the same scary conditions up high. Too scared to drop into Avi Gulch so we just took the easy route to the car.

Monday, we got giddy and it was good. Quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 am 

Spent a couple days on shasta this weekend on S, SE, SW aspects. Breakable crust below treeline, firm above. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:56 pm 

Heard they got a little bit out of this last storm. Thinking of heading up that way.

Any details on conditions on Shasta or across the street would be appreciated. Post here or PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:58 am 

Not too shabby on the nearby volcano to the south. Perfect corn on Saturday on S slopes and found some consolidated pow on shaded N facing on Sunday to escape the heat.

Some areas were unconsolidated glop. Lots of melting.

Post subject: Shasta or across the street
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:11 pm 

Rode Saturday on the West side of I-5. Got a late start so we hit a north aspect first which was nice and creamy. Second lap we hit a chute that we hoped would hold more of the same: it was rather hard and dicey in the shaded section on top and very gloppy toward the bottom.

I didn't wake in time for the Sunday run but my buddy got going at 7:00, hiking by 7:20 from Bunny. His first run was "great" so he went for a second drop off Casaval from about 11,000, "it sucked" were his words, a "gloppy mess by 11:00 a.m."

Its been inverted so the temps have not really set the snow at night. All that will change by the weekend I'm sure.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, let me know if anyone is gonna come this way. I will ride Friday so I'll have more hands on info by then.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:26 am 

Still snow at BF. Only 9 people on the mtn. on Monday. Nobody there on Tuesday as the storm was coming in.

Mostly smooth conditions in avi gulch. Climbers route to right of red banks is going quicky. Under red banks, trinity and off casaval is good still. HV looked good. Shastina is still holding.

Lots of rock patches, some wind ripples and some dirty snow.

Rode from about 12,500 off Casaval down to Helen, then out. Sticky down low.

[img][img]http://puffnattie.smugmug.com/photos/144904467-L.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject: get a job
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 am 

Monday and Tuesday? What happened to the work week? I'm jealous.

Practically died this morning as I left for work with 2" of fresh on the porch. Hoping for more of the same tomowrrow a.m. when I might not have work.

Sunday wasn't too bad: some freshies in the trees and a kind of zipper wind crust above treeline. Everything above treeline is really stripped though: just look at the heart below red banks in your photo which shouldn't be visible until mid June.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:34 am 

Andy,

I sent you a PM, but it either didn't send or you didn't open it.

We had big plans to camp 2 nights in HV and summit, but the weather only provided a little window on Monday. Still great turns.

I heard Sunday was really busy, but it was dead on Monday.

The pic is deceptive too. There is not much base left above Helen and hardly any snow on Seargents.

We'll be back up soon enough.

Post subject: Shasta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:01 pm 

Yeah never got a message from you but just checked did get one from Brad on Friday but I was on my way up Green Butte not at work where I usually check messages. Usually I get an email notice of a new PM but didn't on Friday, don't know what happened there.

Sunday was fun, not too crowded on the non-motorized side but the sledders were out in force. Saw one splitter on my way up and one tele guy on the way down.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:27 pm 

PJ, are you saying it's deceptive in that conditions are even thinner than they appear in your foto?

Thanks for the info regardless of how depressing the coverage looks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:09 pm 

Yeah Dave. The photo makes it look OK, and it is now. But there is a pretty low base up high that could go quickly in the heat. Saw a lot of dirty snow patches, rocks pokin' through. Ya know, it looks like June/July up there in some spots. It seems like down lower is dong well cause most of the snow has been blown down throughout the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:22 am 

Some pics from today 5/10/07, for the folks going up this weekend. Still a lot of great skiing to be had in Shasta.
- Bunny: pretty much still skiing to the parking lot. Should be this weekend as well, but probably not the next. Even after you turn the corner and start skinning through the trees, it's kinda thin. With no refresh, I'd guess you'd be walking most of the way to horse camp in 3 weeks.
- Broadway, Sun/poweder bowl pretty much look done. Giddy Giddy/anaconda looked ok from what I could see.
- Good coverage in the gulch for skiing above horse camp. Trinities are fantastic.
- West face looked great. Not sure if the lower drainage traverse still goes or you should boot up and catch anaconda/giddy giddy.
- South side (k chutes/Sargents still looked good). Shastarama gully still looks awesome. Not sure how much of the road is melted though. Might be some walking after you're done with ski bowl.
- Clear creek looked likes it's getting pretty thin(see pic below from Mcloud), prolly great this weekend. Didn't drive out to brewer.
- water's running at horse camp. There's a whole team of folks tugging sleds to horsecamp for some party. One guy claimed he was pulling a keg.

First few taken after skiing today.
South side:
Clear Creek:

morning shots:

Hail pellets at 12,000. Driving up last night I saw tons of lighning. They got a lot of rain. All the snow below 12,000 got soaked, breaking the bonds of the snow, making it sugar down to 6-12 inches. Luckily at 12k or so I got back to nice solid snow. Below that it was water skiing down and tons of natural wet slides off of casaval. I think the trinities were the only safe thing to ski off of casaval today(solid above 12k). even at 9am the top layer was ready to go below that level.

stuff off of casaval next to trinities

Skiing the chute from the top was all ice-- still hadn't softened until you get to where I took this pic on the way up. Quite scary on the upper part. on the left of this picture the easier side of the chute still hadn't gone the cycle. Not really powder, but powder like. really fun skiing to the bottom of the chute.

Top of the west face. Coverage looks great. The shastina chute still goes.

Summit from the top of the trinities ~13k.

top of the trinities. Can't figure out why it hadn't softened yet. I overslept in the car and didn't get up there to ski it until 2:30pm.

Here's my day job: employee#69519, Just a cog in the system :( http://www.gethappy.com/watchmore.html